Problems with SpecialCursorMovement=5/6/12

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Problems with SpecialCursorMovement=5/6/12

Post by *Fla$her »

TOTALCMD.CHM wrote:SpecialCursorMovement=0 New cursor movement mode. Sum of the following:
1: Left key jumps to first file, right key to last
2: Left key goes one directory up, right key opens directory/archive under cursor.
4: Override horizontal scrollbar in custom columns view. If this option isn't set, the cursor will jump only to the first file if the horizontal scrollbar is already at the leftmost position.
8: Jump one page up/down instead of jumping to the first/last file
SpecialCursorMovement=5/6 Horizontal scrolling does not work by pressing the left/right keys when setting the slider further from the left edge.
SpecialCursorMovement=12 In full (detailed) mode, the command line field is activated instead of the cursor movement. If there is a lower strrollbar, option 4 doesn't work, only scrolling works.

In addition, it is unclear for what purpose 1, 2 and 8 should be summed together. The description needs to be clarified.
Last edited by Fla$her on 2023-10-29, 08:14 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Overquoting is evil! 👎
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Problems of SpecialCursorMovement=5/6/12

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

SpecialCursorMovement=5/6:
Of course it doesn't work - when you add 4, you use the cursor keys to jump to the first/last file also in custom columns view. This is as designed. You can't have both at the same time. From the help:
4: Override horizontal scrollbar in custom columns view
SpecialCursorMovement=12:
Confirmed. But that's because 12 isn't a valid option. It has to be combined with one, that's why there is the word "instead of". I will add a note to the help.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Problems of SpecialCursorMovement=5/6/12

Post by *Fla$her »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2023-10-29, 08:06 UTC Of course it doesn't work - when you add 4, you use the cursor keys to jump to the first/last file also in custom columns view. This is as designed. You can't have both at the same time. From the help:
4: Override horizontal scrollbar in custom columns view
This phrase does not clarify anything. But the underlined phrase "Sum of the following:" indicates how it should work, given the description of the flag:
If this option isn't set, the cursor will jump only to the first file if the horizontal scrollbar is already at the leftmost position.

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2023-10-29, 08:06 UTC But that's because 12 isn't a valid option. It has to be combined with one, that's why there is the word "instead of".
I don't understand how 8 can be combined with 1? Check out my added question at the bottom.
I also don't understand the reason why 8 can't be combined with 4.
And what is the connection between setting the focus on the command line by the left/right key with the invalidity of 12? :shock:

The behavior should be as follows: if the slider is not in the leftmost position, then scrolling should be performed, otherwise as specified in the description to 1/2/8.
Last edited by Fla$her on 2023-10-29, 13:51 UTC, edited 3 times in total.
Overquoting is evil! 👎
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Problems with SpecialCursorMovement=5/6/12

Have you tried using 13 instead of 12? It works as it should.
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

I don't understand how a user can understand that you can use 13, but you can't use 12? With 13, option 8 and scrolling doesn't work at all.
There is no logic between the combination of 1 and 8, as well as between 1 and 2, 2 and 8.

Please answer other questions as well.
Overquoting is evil! 👎
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

I don't understand how a user can understand that you can use 13, but you can't use 12?
1 and 2 are the primary options of SpecialCursorMovement: 1 is for navigating within the directory, and 2 for going up or down.
8 is a modifier for 1 which tells TC to use PageUp/PageDown INSTEAD of Home/End.
With 13, option 8 and scrolling doesn't work at all.
Please explain what you mean with that. When I set SpecialCursorMovement to 13, right arrow behaves like page down, and left arrow like page up in full view.
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

1 and 2 are the primary options of SpecialCursorMovement: 1 is for navigating within the directory
There is no explanation in the description that 1 or 2 is mandatory when summing, and that they cannot be added together. This is important to add. It's also necessary to correct the description to 1 with the phrase "without adding 8", otherwise there is a contradiction in the behavior of the options to be added.

Explain how you think SpecialCursorMovement=10 should work?
Please explain what you mean with that. When I set SpecialCursorMovement to 13, right arrow behaves like page down, and left arrow like page up in full view.
When the horizontal scroll slider is shifted to the right, it doesn't work when you press left/right. There were problems with page-by-page movement, now for some reason there are no problems. Strange.

I want to go back to the thesis
ghisler(Author) wrote: 2023-10-29, 08:06 UTC You can't have both at the same time.
The logic of option 4 is to scroll when the slider is not in the leftmost position. What prevents this from being combined with options 1, 2 or 9?
Overquoting is evil! 👎
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

There is no explanation in the description that 1 or 2 is mandatory when summing, and that they cannot be added together.
Actually they can be added together - then cursor left goes up until we are on the first entry, then goes up one level. Cursor down only goes down the list, it doesn't open a subdir under the cursor because you can't have both.
Explain how you think SpecialCursorMovement=10 should work?
Some combinations just don't make any sense.
When the horizontal scroll slider is shifted to the right, it doesn't work when you press left/right.
Of course not - you can't have both functions at the same time, that's what 4 is for: It chooses whether to keep SpecialCursorMovement in custom columns view with a horizontal scrollbar, or to instead use the scrollbar. You can't have both at the same time, it's impossible.
When the horizontal scroll slider is shifted to the right, it doesn't work when you press left/right.
When using SpecialCursorMovement and don't add 4, then you can only move the horizontal slider with the mouse.
The logic of option 4 is to scroll when the slider is not in the leftmost position.
That's just for brief view mode. Then it makes sense to first scroll to the start and then go up a directory. But this makes no sense in custom view, that's why there is the option 4.
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

Some combinations just don't make any sense.
I asked this question because 1+8, following only their descriptions, doesn't make sense either, but you wrote "1 and 2 are the primary options".
Of course not
I am always confused by the phrase "isn't set". Can you replace Override with Disable?
Then the following sentence will be superfluous:
If this option isn't set, the cursor will jump only to the first file if the horizontal scrollbar is already at the leftmost position.
It's better to write separately from the option how scrolling works taking into account the position of the slider.
When using SpecialCursorMovement and don't add 4, then you can only move the horizontal slider with the mouse.
In this case, explain the following regarding custom columns:
SpecialCursorMovement=1/9 If the slider is in the leftmost position, then pressing left/right doesn't move the cursor, but scroll the list horizontally.
SpecialCursorMovement=2 If the slider is in the leftmost position, then pressing left jumps to the parent directory, but pressing right scrolls the list horizontally.
Overquoting is evil! 👎
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

SpecialCursorMovement=1/9
SpecialCursorMovement=2
That's indeed odd, I should remove it. But then other people will complain, so it's hard to decide what to do. Better postpone to a later version.
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

I should remove it.
Um. What exactly should you remove?
But then other people will complain, so it's hard to decide what to do.
I didn't understand. You need to make the options work as stated in the description. I.e. fix the bug. What complaints can there be?
Overquoting is evil! 👎
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Um. What exactly should you remove?
When using SpecialCursorMovement=1/9/2, the option '4' isn't added. '4' is defined as "Override horizontal scrollbar in custom columns view.". If 4 isn't set, pressing cursor left when scrolled all the way to the left shouldn't move the cursor or go up one level, so that should be removed. But people may find it convenient, so I can't just remove it without offering any kind of replacement.
You need to make the options work as stated in the description.
The problem is that it's not 100% clear which function should work when. For example, when 4 isn't added, should the cursor keys still move cursor under certain conditions? And if yes, under which conditions?
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

But people may find it convenient, so I can't just remove it without offering any kind of replacement.
I agree with this, otherwise the removing itself contradicts the description. It would be convenient for me to have scrolling work according to the specified condition.
And if yes, under which conditions?
In the description it's written under which:
the cursor will jump only to the first file if the horizontal scrollbar is already at the leftmost position.
The same should apply to the right key for paging down or going to the last file.
Overquoting is evil! 👎
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

The same should apply to the right key for paging down or going to the last file.
This would be very inconvenient: First you have to scroll sideways all the way to the end, and then scroll down?
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

Well, yes, that's it. In fact, it's a matter of habit. Apart from this, I can scroll in two other ways and then use left/right to navigate through the list.
First I look at the details in the columns, then I come back and get the navigation.
Overquoting is evil! 👎