cm_SyncChangeDir - Logic of suspension

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

cm_SyncChangeDir - Logic of suspension

Post by *Fla$her »

I can't come to terms with the logic of suspending after activation in different folders yet.
Let's say there is the drive list on the left, and drive C is on the right. I turn on the mode, go to the same C: drive on the left, and the suspend turns on, despite the identity of the drives. It's confusing to me.

Moderator message from: white » 2023-11-02, 13:27 UTC

Overquoting is evil! 👎
sa16

Re: [TC 11.02RC3] cm_SyncChangeDir — synchronous exit from directories with different names

Post by *sa16 »

Fla$her wrote:and the suspend turns on
This is logical, since drive C cannot have a subdirectory with another drive C.
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Re: [TC 11.02RC3] cm_SyncChangeDir — synchronous exit from directories with different names

Post by *Fla$her »

sa16 wrote: 2023-10-31, 14:02 UTC This is logical, since drive C cannot have a subdirectory with another drive C.
An incomprehensible thesis. I go to the drive root and get a mirror, but instead of a synchronous change I get a suspension. Where is the logic here?
Overquoting is evil! 👎
sa16

Post by *sa16 »

Logic in “Synchronous directory CHANGING in both windows”.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I turn on the mode, go to the same C: drive on the left
Here is your problem: The moment you turn on the mode, TC tries to use it. It depends on how you go to the C: drive on the left:
1. If you go up or down from the current position, TC tries to use the mode, fails, and suspends it
2. If you use a bookmark or Alt+F1, TC will not try to use the syncchangedir mode.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

Logic in “Synchronous directory CHANGING in both windows”.
This obviousness is known to everyone who uses the mode and has nothing to do with the problem.

It depends on how you go to the C: drive on the left:
I understand, but this does not fit into the working logic of usability. The change concerns the folders of the same name, but the activity of the mode concerns the moment of switching on, at the same time it contradicts the coincidence in the panels. TC should understand that the drive list can be mapped only to the drive list, but not to any folder on the drive, i.e. there is no need to suspend the mode when there are different types of resources on both sides (drive list, regular directories, virtual folders, subdirectories of wfx plugins).
Overquoting is evil! 👎
sa16

Post by *sa16 »

no need to suspend the mode when there are different types of resources on both sides
TC does not suspend the mode if you select, for example, a Pictures folder in the drive list, and the same folder is in another panel.
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

I'm talking about a situation where there is no directory of the same name, and especially when there can't be one, as in the case of a letter with a colon.
Overquoting is evil! 👎
sa16

Post by *sa16 »

Fla$her wrote:Let's say there is the drive list on the left, and drive C is on the right. I turn on the mode, go to the same C: drive on the left, and the suspend turns on, despite the identity of the drives. It's confusing to me.
And if so?
Let's say there is the drive list on the left, and dir C:\Pictures is on the right. I turn on the mode, go to the Pictures on the left, and the suspend turns on, despite the identity of the folders.
Is that confusing, too?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Let's say there is the drive list on the left, and dir C:\Pictures is on the right. I turn on the mode, go to the Pictures on the left, and the suspend turns on, despite the identity of the folders.
Is that confusing, too?
No, it's logical - you turned on the mode, so TC assumes that you are in the base directory for the function. What if you want to compare, say,
c:\Pictures with d:\Pictures\Pictures? It could be a backup USB disk which consists of d:\Pictures\Pictures, d:\Pictures\Screenshots, d:\Pictures\Phone_Photos etc.
sa16

Post by *sa16 »

ghisler(Author) wrote:No, it's logical
I completely agree!
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Moderator message

Moved to will not be changed
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

sa16 wrote: 2023-11-01, 05:29 UTC Let's say there is the drive list on the left, and dir C:\Pictures is on the right. I turn on the mode, go to the Pictures on the left, and the suspend turns on, despite the identity of the folders.
We are not talking about the identity of folders, because the principle of the same name is observed here. There should be no suspension in fact.

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2023-11-01, 08:04 UTC No, it's logical - you turned on the mode, so TC assumes that you are in the base directory for the function. What if you want to compare, say,
c:\Pictures with d:\Pictures\Pictures? It could be a backup USB disk which consists of d:\Pictures\Pictures, d:\Pictures\Screenshots, d:\Pictures\Phone_Photos etc.
You still don't understand. You give an example with the same type of folders, and I wrote:
Fla$her wrote: 2023-10-31, 17:09 UTC i.e. there is no need to suspend the mode when there are different types of resources on both sides (drive list, regular directories, virtual folders, subdirectories of wfx plugins).

The bug stated in the starting post has been fixed, there is no point in moving the topic to a section that does not correspond to this. It's better to separate the latest messages, starting with your question about other problems of the mode into a separate branch.
Overquoting is evil! 👎
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

there is no need to suspend the mode when there are different types of resources on both sides (drive list, regular directories, virtual folders, subdirectories of wfx plugins).
The mode gets suspended when the directory can't be changed on the other side. For example, you can have a regular directory on the left and a wfx plugin on the right, and use the function there. I'm using this myself with local directories and an SFTP server.
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2023-11-02, 11:14 UTC The mode gets suspended when the directory can't be changed on the other side.
This is the contradiction regarding different types of folders. At first (when activating the mode) there is no directory of the same name, but then after changing the path in the active folder they appear. And in this case it would be correct to remove the suspension.
There is no question about the same type of folders.
Overquoting is evil! 👎