[TC 11.02] Sync dirs: focus can be on groupbox

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

white
Power Member
Power Member

[TC 11.02] Sync dirs: focus can be on groupbox

Post by *white »

• Open Synchronize directories
  • Press Alt+C (Compare)
  • Press Shift+Tab
  • Press the arrow up key (or arrow left key) twice
Now the groupbox "Show:" has focus which causes that the focus is never put on the results panel when pressing Ctrl+Shift plus L, E, N, R, D, or S.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: [TC 11.02] Sync dirs: focus can be on groupbox

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

This is actually a feature, not a bug!
1. The groupbox can only be focused with Tab when a screen reader is running (or the tool inspect32). It's meant for visually impaired to read and set the filters. It's possible to reach the groupbox via cursor keys when not using a screen reader.
2. It's also intentional that the focus doesn't change on Ctrl+Shift+Letter while the focus is on the groupbox, so the visually impaired can get feedback of which display filters are set after the hotkey

From the history:
27.08.23 Fixed: Synchronize dirs: "Show" groupbox couldn't be accessed with tab - make it accessible when a screen reader is detected (32/64)
24.08.23 Fixed: Synchronize dirs: Buttons <- = =/= -> duplicates singles could not be accessed by visually impaired -> Report status in "Show" groupbox, and use hotkeys Ctrl+Shift+L/E/N/R/D/S to toggle (32/64)
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

I don't use a screen reader, nor the inspect32 tool, so that's not what the bug report is about.

But since you mention it, I tried the screen reader (Ctrl+Win+Enter) and when I press Ctrl+Shift+L/E/N/R/D/S it doesn't give feedback whether the option is enabled or disabled.

BTW, due to lacking access keys and the use of speedbuttons I thought you no longer cared as much about accessibility. Does this mean you are also going to add an access key for the pin button in the copy dialog and add tab stops for the speed buttons there when a screen reader is active? And are you going to improve accessibility of the speed buttons in the file compare tool?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sorry, I don't have any plans to change this behavior. It would impact visually impaired users.

Moderator message

Moved to will not be changed
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2023-11-13, 11:02 UTC Sorry, I don't have any plans to change this behavior. It would impact visually impaired users.
As said, this bug report is specifically related to the situation where the screen reader and the inspect32 tool are not used. Then, the Show groupbox does not have a tab stop. This bug report addresses the minor issue that the groupbox still can get focus which then causes the keyboard shortcuts not to work. This won't be obvious and expected behavior for the user when this happens.

But since you brought up accessibility features, I commented where accessibility could be further improved.
JOUBE
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JOUBE »

white wrote: 2023-11-13, 17:02 UTCThis won't be obvious and expected behavior for the user when this happens.
...for tens of years? It hasn't bothered anyone yet. So: stay away, it's not a real problem and may - as ghisler(author) says - harm those who use additional tools.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

It's a misfeature of Delphi/Lazarus: Even if I set the control to TabStop=false (which blocks reaching via Tab), it can still be reached with cursor keys.