Ctrl+<KEY> in the Quick View window executes a bound command instead of selecting text or navigation

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Ctrl+A in the Quick View window executes a bound command instead of selecting text

Post by *Fla$her »

Sir_SiLvA wrote: 2023-12-08, 16:13 UTC The Only Question is why is this Fred still in the bugs forum :?:
Because all inconsistencies in behavior (in this case, the minority of keys against the majority) are considered here.
PS: I won't ask who Fred is.

2petermad
🤝🏼👍🏼
petermad wrote: 2023-12-08, 16:30 UTC There are only a few Ctrl+ shortcuts in Lister:
+ Ctrl + Up/Down/Home/End/PgUp/PgDn
Overquoting is evil! 👎
JOUBE
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Ctrl+A in the Quick View window executes a bound command instead of selecting text

Post by *JOUBE »

petermad wrote: 2023-12-08, 16:30 UTC I think that the user can expect Listers shortcut keys to work when displaying non-multimedia files in QuickView AND the focus is set to the QuickView panel.
... "the user" is here the point: It's not really your problem, but more a theoretical and academical topic. There are peculiarities in every program that you have to get used to and can easily get used to. Please do not refer to “the user”, "for others" (as another poster wrote)...
petermad wrote: 2023-12-08, 16:30 UTC There are only a few Ctrl+ shortcuts in Lister:
Ctrl+C, Ctrl+A, Ctrl+F, Ctrl+P, Ctrl+LeftArrow and Ctrl+RightArrow - I would expect them all to work the same in Lister and in focused QuickView even when remapped to other functions.

BTW Ctrl+P does not work in QuickView <viewtopic.php?t=80659>
... academical... Again, this is not a must, this is not a bug, if you wish it is a suggestion. But nobody really cares about it.
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

JOUBE wrote: 2023-12-08, 20:35 UTC ... "the user" is here the point: It's not really your problem, but more a theoretical and academical topic. There are peculiarities in every program that you have to get used to and can easily get used to.
For any user, the topic they have raised makes practical sense. And you will not change this with your value judgment. If we start talking about the expiration date here, then I will find a lot of topics with long-playing and old bugs that could have been considered long before they appeared, many versions earlier. And these bugs have been fixed regardless of what you personally think about them. Your personal habits of different inconsistencies (you can falsely call them peculiarities) cannot affect the relevance of such topics.
JOUBE wrote: 2023-12-08, 20:35 UTC ... academical... Again, this is not a must, this is not a bug, if you wish it is a suggestion. But nobody really cares about it.
There is no common sense in your assessment. Printing a file from the quick view panel has the same practical value as printing from a separate view window.
Overquoting is evil! 👎
JOUBE
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JOUBE »

Fla$her wrote: 2023-12-09, 02:51 UTC ... any user ... such topics ... ... common sense ...
As I wrote: It's not really your problem. My hint to ghisler(author).
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

JOUBE wrote: 2023-12-09, 07:34 UTCAs I wrote: It's not really your problem.
Please quit the habit of thinking for your interlocutors. If you are so frustrated with using Ctrl+A to bypass the default behavior, take, for example, hotkeys without it — Ctrl+Home/End (jump to the top/end of the text). Having assigned them to em_GotoFirstModifiedEntry/em_GotoLastModifiedDir a long time ago, not only can I not use fast navigation in the text, but I also get an unexpected move to another object with a corresponding quick view. And I use these keys on the list hundreds of times a day. Why should I refuse to use them in a Lister with a significant acceleration of navigation? Because you think it's not a problem for anyone?

Or consider Ctrl+Down, which, for known reasons, I recently had to bind to cm_ShowCmdLineHistory. Why can't I now navigate down the text without using the text cursor? Will you explain this again with theoretical or academic reasoning?
Overquoting is evil! 👎
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I think that the user can expect Listers shortcut keys to work when displaying non-multimedia files in QuickView AND the focus is set to the QuickView panel.
That's a good point, but I'm sure that I will miss at least half of them when I try to add them manually.
Many keyboard combinations are handled by windows itself, e.g. for scrolling.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2023-12-10, 09:19 UTCbut I'm sure that I will miss at least half of them when I try to add them manually.
It seems that we have already listed all 12 Ctrl+. No?
petermad wrote: 2023-12-08, 16:30 UTC Ctrl+C, Ctrl+A, Ctrl+F, Ctrl+P, Ctrl+LeftArrow and Ctrl+RightArrow
Fla$her wrote: 2023-12-08, 17:19 UTC + Ctrl + Up/Down/Home/End/PgUp/PgDn
Overquoting is evil! 👎
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Support++ for Lister shortcuts working when Quick View is focused. I have Ctrl-A assigned to cm_IntCompareFilesByContent, but would really prefer to be able to select text instead, when Quick View is focused.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

Hacker wrote: 2023-12-14, 11:36 UTCSupport++ for Lister shortcuts
As I wrote above, most of the keys work, we are talking only about Ctrl+KEY. Therefore, this is a correction rather than an addition.
Overquoting is evil! 👎
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Ctrl+<KEY> in the Quick View window executes a bound command instead of selecting text or navigation

How about hotkeys without any modifiers, or with just shift?
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Ctrl+<KEY> in the Quick View window executes a bound command instead of selecting text or navigation

Post by *Fla$her »

I wrote about them in the beginning. 3rd post.
That is, you will not have to change anything for them.
Overquoting is evil! 👎
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

I don't understand your reasoning. Why should I make an exception for Ctrl+PageDown but not for PageDown?
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

Because PgDn doesn't have the same problem as Ctrl+PgDn.
I have no problem using PgDn separately in the Quick View text and the file list.
I checked all the hotkeys working in Lister without Ctrl before creating the topic.
Overquoting is evil! 👎
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Other example: I can change F2 to cm_renameonly. Then F2 no longer reloads the file in Lister even when it has the focus. The same problem would happen with F3/F5 (find next), F7 Find, and F6 show/hide cursor.
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

2ghisler(Author)
Then, in addition, 5 more keys are needed as exceptions. I completely forgot about the function keys. :roll:
Overquoting is evil! 👎