Ctrl+<KEY> in the Quick View window executes a bound command instead of selecting text or navigation

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Ctrl+<KEY> in the Quick View window executes a bound command instead of selecting text or navigation

Post by *Fla$her »

Bind any command (e.g. cm_SelectAllBoth) to Ctrl+A, execute cm_SrcQuickInternalOnly,cm_FocusTrg from the command line and press Ctrl+A.
Instead of selecting text, you will see the execution of the bound command.

Added:
I think the reason is the Ctrl modifier, since the same thing happens with Ctrl+F. There is no such problem with hotkeys without Ctrl.
Some plugins (for example: CudaText, IniEd, PEViewer, etc.) intercept the control of hotkeys, so they don't have such a problem.
Last edited by Fla$her on 2023-12-14, 13:16 UTC, edited 3 times in total.
Overquoting is evil! 👎
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Ctrl+A in the Quick View window executes a bound command instead of selecting text

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Not a bug, a question of priority: Should a hotkey apply only when the focus is on a file list, or always? This has been discussed in many other threads before...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Ctrl+A in the Quick View window executes a bound command instead of selecting text

Post by *Fla$her »

I disagree. Why then, without changing the hotkey, Ctrl+A not select the list, but select the text, as it should?
And why Shift + Left/Right/Home/End//Up/Down/PgDn/PgUp select text instead of executing the commands associated with it?
The same applies to Left, Right, Home, End, Up, Down, PgDn, PgUp, which don't execute commands, but use navigation.
The same applies to A, S, V, W, 0-9, which don't execute commands for the list, but continue to perform Lister functions.
Last edited by Fla$her on 2023-12-07, 12:05 UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Overquoting is evil! 👎
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

I 100% agree with Chris here this is NOT a bug but getting what you wanted.
Hoecker sie sind raus!
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

I definitely didn't want the hotkey to execute a command in an inactive list, ignoring the text selection in the active text field.
Carefully read my answer confirming the inconsistency with what ghisler(Author) wrote.
Overquoting is evil! 👎
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

Fla$her wrote: 2023-12-07, 11:50 UTC I definitely didn't want the hotkey to execute a command in an inactive list, ignoring the text selection in the active text field.
Carefully read my answer confirming the inconsistency with what ghisler(Author) wrote.
you set up a hotkey to a cmd. you press the combo, the cmd was executed = not a bug. CASE CLOSED
Hoecker sie sind raus!
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

Sir_SiLvA wrote: 2023-12-07, 12:21 UTC you set up a hotkey to a cmd. you press the combo, the cmd was executed = not a bug. CASE CLOSED
It's not up to you to decide. I suggested that you read my answer carefully, but you either didn't do so or deliberately ignored the irrefutable reasoning in it.
Overquoting is evil! 👎
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

It's difficult to decide which commands should override hotkeys in other controls and which not. For example, the user may want to define a hotkey for cm_focusleft to focus the left panel, and it should also work in quick view.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

A very simple solution is to disable in the quick view window the execution of custom hotkeys that work in Lister by default, let the rest work.
Otherwise, it turns out that 31 keys or a keyboard shortcut work on Lister, but those 4-5 where Ctrl is used don't. It shouldn't be like this.

The same problem remains with wlx plugins, some of which don't allow TC to interfere with the redefinition of keys, and some do. Let there be the same behavior for everyone.
Overquoting is evil! 👎
JOUBE
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JOUBE »

Fla$her wrote: 2023-12-08, 11:43 UTC A very simple solution is to disable in the quick view window the execution of custom hotkeys that work in Lister by default, let the rest work.
Otherwise, it turns out that 31 keys or a keyboard shortcut work on Lister, but those 4-5 where Ctrl is used don't. It shouldn't be like this.

The same problem remains with wlx plugins, some of which don't allow TC to interfere with the redefinition of keys, and some do. Let there be the same behavior for everyone.
All of this is just l'art pour l'art and completely unimportant, pointless poking around.

Just my two cents

Joube
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

JOUBE wrote: 2023-12-08, 12:25 UTCAll of this is just l'art pour l'art and completely unimportant, pointless poking around.
What is unimportant and pointless for you, for others it is the daily necessity of expected behavior in working with text.
Overquoting is evil! 👎
JOUBE
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JOUBE »

Fla$her wrote: 2023-12-08, 13:35 UTC... daily necessity of expected behavior in working with text.
How long have you been using the Tc? And are you only now noticing this? Then “daily” can’t be right. So, you are kidding...
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

JOUBE wrote: 2023-12-08, 15:10 UTC How long have you been using the Tc? And are you only now noticing this? Then “daily” can’t be right. So, you are kidding...
I'm far from always reporting bugs as soon as I find them. They can get in my way for years. There are other issues that I haven't reported yet.
So no kidding.
Overquoting is evil! 👎
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

The Only Question is why is this Fred still in the bugs forum :?:
Hoecker sie sind raus!
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

I tend to agree with Fla$her

I think that the user can expect Listers shortcut keys to work when displaying non-multimedia files in QuickView AND the focus is set to the QuickView panel.

There are only a few Ctrl+ shortcuts in Lister:
Ctrl+C, Ctrl+A, Ctrl+F, Ctrl+P, Ctrl+LeftArrow and Ctrl+RightArrow - I would expect them all to work the same in Lister and in focused QuickView even when remapped to other functions.

BTW Ctrl+P does not work in QuickView <viewtopic.php?t=80659>
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar