Ctrl+<KEY> in the Quick View window executes a bound command instead of selecting text or navigation

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Ctrl+<KEY> in the Quick View window executes a bound command instead of selecting text or navigation

Post by *petermad »

Can we expect to exclude C/CS + LEFT/RIGHT in the future?
Aren't they already excluded:
history.txt wrote:21.01.24 Added: Ctrl+Q quick view: The following hotkeys now still work in quick view even if redefined in main program: Ctrl+Shift+Cursor left/right (32/64)
Here it seems to work that way.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Ctrl+<KEY> in the Quick View window executes a bound command instead of selecting text or navigation

Post by *Fla$her »

2petermad
I wrote that everything was fixed in the quick view.
Start from here, then it will be clear what the quote was about.
Overquoting is evil! 👎
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2Fla$her
So your question is actually:
"Can we expect to exclude C/CS + LEFT/RIGHT in the command line in the future?"
License #524 (1994)
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I'm not so sure whether I should exclude them in the command line. The user may want to invoke a user-defined command even while in the command line,
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2ghisler(Author)
IMHO they should also be excluded in the command line. They are too commonly used for editing to be allowed to be re-assigned.
License #524 (1994)
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2024-01-24, 08:39 UTC I'm not so sure whether I should exclude them in the command line. The user may want to invoke a user-defined command even while in the command line.
Command line:
Not excluded (8): Ctrl + Shift + Enter, Ctrl + E/K/W/T, Ctrl + Down, ALT + F8, Esc
Excluded (12): Enter, Shift + Enter, CTRL + A/Y/C/X/V, Tab, Left, Right, Shift + Left/Right

In the sense of Ctrl + Left/Right, these are the same Left/Right, only with a big jump.
The same goes for Shift + Left/Right and Ctrl+ Shift + Left/Right, where the difference is only in the number of characters captured.
I see no reason why the larger character capture should not be an exception against the background of its character-by-character counterparts.
Overquoting is evil! 👎
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well, another problem is that the user may want to redefine some of these non-essential hotkeys for command line-specific commands like cm_NextCommand and cm_PrevCommand.
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

Yes, but this thought is also true for the excluded Shift+Left/Right, isn't it?
Overquoting is evil! 👎
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Left/Right and Shift+Left/Right are absolutely essential in edit boxes, so I don't think anyone would want to override them.
The question is where we should draw the line.
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

Even if someone wants to, it won't affect them on the command line, as we know.
I don't know about others, but I can say for sure that I have to move the cursor to the boundaries of the path components or select them much more often than I do it character by character, so the trouble-free operation of Home, End, Shift + Home/End, Ctrl + Left/Right and Ctrl + Shift + Left/Right is even more important to me than Left/Right and Shift + Left/Right.
Overquoting is evil! 👎
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Maybe I should allow Ctrl + Left/Right and Ctrl + Shift + Left/Right for text selection except for a select few commands? For example, it's clear that when the user redefines these hotkeys for m_NextCommand and cm_PrevCommand, then he wants to use them also in the command line. But others are not so clear, e.g. cm_TransferLeft or cm_TransferRight assigned to Ctrl + Shift + Left/Right.
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

Then let these be commands related to changing the text there: cm_ClearCmdLine, cm_NextCommand, cm_PrevCommand, cm_AddPathToCmdline, cm_AddFileNameToCmdline, cm_AddPathAndFileNameToCmdline
cm_TransferLeft and cm_TransferRight do not change the activity of the panel, so there is no special point in executing them from the command line, unlike cm_FocusLeft and cm_FocusRight. The problem with cm_FocusLeft/cm_FocusRight can only occur if they are both involved in the chain of command.
All that concerns navigation through the file list, the Left/Right arrows, as opposed to Up/Down, are not suitable for this, so the commands cm_GoToNextSelected/cm_GoToPrevSelected, cm_GoToNext/cm_GoToPrev can not even be considered.
But cm_GoToPreviousDir/cm_GoToNextDir, cm_GoToPreviousLocalDir/cm_GoToNextLocalDir, cm_GoToNextDrive/cm_GoToPreviousDrive can be considered.

The main thing is that we have a workaround with em_ that will allow us to control text navigation, regardless of the presence of composite commands inside the custom one.
Overquoting is evil! 👎
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

OK, in RC3 I'm now ignoring the redefinition of the hotkeys Ctrl + Shift + Enter, Ctrl + E/K/W/T, Ctrl + Down, ALT + F8, Esc in the command line, unless any of the commands listed by Fla$her is used.
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

But we were talking about other hotkeys:
ghisler(Author) wrote: 2024-01-26, 14:49 UTC Maybe I should allow Ctrl + Left/Right and Ctrl + Shift + Left/Right for text selection except for a select few commands?
They still don't work on the command line after reassigning.
Overquoting is evil! 👎
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

I only added the ones you listed above:
Not excluded (8): Ctrl + Shift + Enter, Ctrl + E/K/W/T, Ctrl + Down, ALT + F8, Esc
I can add also Ctrl + Left/Right and Ctrl + Shift + Left/Right, but are there any others I missed? Otherwise this will go on forever...