Quick questions re Tree

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

sirksel

Quick questions re Tree

Post by *sirksel »

I've been trying to change my tree toggling setup a bit. I've solved most of my issues by reading the wincmd.ini help, but there are a few that I haven't been able to find:

1. Autoswitch. When the tree panels are visible (one for each pane), I'm trying to get the behavior back where as I press down arrow through one of the tree lists, the file list automatically updates. I thought it was Autotreechange=1, but that doesn't seem to be working. Is there another option I'm missing?

2. Switching panes. I use Tab to switch between left and right sides and shift+Tab to switch between the tree and file panes. I want to map it to an additional keystroke. Which "cm_" command is that tree-to-file pane switching behavior?

3. Expanding tree node. I know right/left arrows expand/collapse tree nodes in the tree pane. Is there a "cm_" command for that too?

Many thanks for the help!
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Quick questions re Tree

Post by *petermad »

2sirksel
I'm trying to get the behavior back where as I press down arrow through one of the tree lists, the file list automatically updates. I thought it was Autotreechange=1
it IS Autotreechange=1 - did you remember to restart TC after the change to wincmd.ini? You can also change this setting via the Configuration dialog -> Display -> Tree -> disable "Tree: Press ENTER to open dir in other window"

2. Switching panes. I use Tab to switch between left and right sides and shift+Tab to switch between the tree and file panes. I want to map it to an additional keystroke. Which "cm_" command is that tree-to-file pane switching behavior?
There are four command for switching file panel:
cm_FocusLeft=4001;Focus on left file list
cm_FocusRight=4002;Focus on right file list
cm_FocusSrc=4005;Focus on source file list
cm_FocusTrg=4006;Focus on target file list

cm_FocusTrg equals pressing Tab (or Ctrl+I)

And there are four commands for switching tree panel:
cm_FocusLeftTree=4007;Focus on left separate tree
cm_FocusRightTree=4008;Focus on right separate tree
cm_FocusSrcTree=4009;Focus on source separate tree
cm_FocusTrgTree=4010;Focus on target separate tree

cm_FocusSrcTree is closest to pressing Shift+Tab - it shifts to the tree if focus is at the file panel, but it does not shift back to the file panel if focus is already at the tree. Also if only the file panels are visible (no trees) then Shift+Tab has the same effect as Tab, but none of the cm_Focus*Tree commands has any effect.

3. Expanding tree node. I know right/left arrows expand/collapse tree nodes in the tree pane. Is there a "cm_" command for that too?
Not as far as I know.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
sirksel

Post by *sirksel »

You were right. I hadn't restarted. I have what I like to think of as a "poor man's restart" mapped to a keystroke, which is essentially just cm_ReloadBarIcons, chained with a couple other things. That generally effects most of my changes in wincmd.ini, but not this one. I just failed to do a complete restart.

Also the cm_FocusSrcTree is closest to what I was looking for... but not ideal, in the ways you pointed out. It would be great if one day there were cm_ commands for all the UI items like these, including the expand/collapse of tree folders. There are a lot already, so I can't complain. Customizability is why TC is so far above any other piece of software out there today. We are so lucky to have it, and to have Mr. Ghisler and such a great support community!

Thanks so much for the help!
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

I have what I like to think of as a "poor man's restart" mapped to a keystroke, which is essentially just cm_ReloadBarIcons,
You can use cm_Exit with several different parameters to restart TC:
Help wrote:cm_Exit 0 or no parameter: Just exit. Or sum of:
1: Exit and restart Total Commander
2: Exit and restart, and switch between 32-bit and 64-bit versions
4: Save directories, tabs and panels (brief, full etc.) even when disabled in settings
8: Pass current left and right directory and file under cursor to new instance
16: Restart as administrator
I prefer cm_Exit 9
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
sirksel

Post by *sirksel »

This is excellent. I have updated my wincmd.ini accordingly. Thanks so much for the help.