Video(mp4) not playing in Lister

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

beb

Re: Video(mp4) not playing in Lister

Post by *beb »

kaorw wrote: 2024-01-12, 08:00 UTC By the way, something came to my mind while testing.
When I installed TC in a different folder, I noticed that it opened in the last folder I had opened before.
That is what I was namely telling you about and asking you to do some messages back here.
beb wrote: 2024-01-05, 03:03 UTC What does 'Help - About Total Commander' window report regarding your settings (wincmd.ini) and program (tccmd64.exe) locations?
Please, check the contents of your new wincmd.ini.
Please, take a note that upon new installation TC can catch the settings from the previously installed copy.
So please, locate new wincmd.ini right in the new TC installation path.
Please, make sure your new wincmd.ini is completely empty.
kaorw wrote: 2024-01-12, 08:00 UTC Is there any way to delete all existing config files and test it?
I was wondering if a full clean install would solve the problem.
I mean the appdata/roaming/ghisler folder and the I'm wondering if the settings are stored anywhere else but the TC folder.
So, let's go:
Total Commander - Help (menu) - About Total Commander
This will show you a path where the settings of the running TC copy reside: see file wincmd.ini there.
Proceed by that path and open that wincmd.ini and:
- delete everything from it, leaving it completely empty (except the main section title):

Code: Select all

[Configuration]
- if the wincmd.ini resides in the program directory, i.e., next to the total commander exe? y can add a single line there

[Configuration]
UseIniInProgramDir=7
That's it. Now you have a total commander copy unaffected by any previous installations settings.

Otherwise, you can achieve the same effect in any copy of total commander restarting it with the command "%commander_exe% /i=nul /f=nul" or with a button like this:

TOTALCMD#BAR#DATA
%commander_exe% /i=nul /f=nul

WCMICONS.DLL
restart null ini

Even in those extreme conditions, with its settings virginly clear, and entirely unavailable for writing, Total Commander will show you video files (including the test .mp4 posted here) with LAVfilters in its Filter64 subfolder, without any settings at all!
#278521 User License
Total Commander [always the latest version, including betas] x86/x64 on Win10 x64/Android 10
beb

Post by *beb »

And then, if the issue would still be there on your machine even in such conditions, I would assume, there are some codecs installed on your PC those incompatible with the Total Commander that it is forced to use but cannot process.

Then, try ghisler(Author)'s registryinfo tool:
https://www.totalcommander.ch/win/tools/registryinfo.zip
And use it with the mp4 extension trying to find out if it drops a hint of what may be wrong with it.
Last edited by beb on 2024-01-12, 09:47 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
#278521 User License
Total Commander [always the latest version, including betas] x86/x64 on Win10 x64/Android 10
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Is there any way to delete all existing config files and test it?
You don't need to uninstall to test with a clean config file - just start TC with the parameter /i=%TEMP%\test.ini

If the playback of videos work for you with the text.ini file you migtht consider deleting your current wincmd.ini file. You can find the location of your wincmd.ini file by running cd %COMMANDER_INI% from TC's command line. If TC's command line is not visible in the bottom of the program, you can open it by pressing Shift+ArrowRight.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
kaorw

Post by *kaorw »

I didn't find a solution even with your advice.
I used the most powerful method I could.
I ended up doing a clean install of windows and solved it.
Thank you so much for your advice and help.
beb

Post by *beb »

2kaorw
Of course, reinstalling an operating system is not a big deal these days and remains one of the most effective ways to get rid of errors.
However, far not every user would be ready for that. Therefore, in theory, it would be useful to find a solution without such a radical move for the future.
Again I'd rather assume, apparently, there were some codecs on your PC interfering with the Total Commander functionality.
Still, glad to hear your issue has gone.
Cheers.
#278521 User License