[11.03rc1] Photos app does not show all images

Bug reports will be moved here when the described bug has been fixed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Flint
Power Member
Power Member

[11.03rc1] Photos app does not show all images

Post by *Flint »

I've never used built-in Windows apps for viewing images, so maybe I'm misunderstanding something here, but I can't make TC use the new feature of showing multiple images in the Photos app. Here is what I did to test it:

1. I created a directory with a few images in PNG, JPG, BMP formats.
2. Then I opened the File Associations, and unticked the PhotoViewer.dll option for PNG files, to make TC use the Photos app.
3. After that I double-clicked the first PNG image.
Result: The Photos app opened and showed just this image, without any navigation arrows.

I tried adding the PhotoAppFilter parameter to the wincmd.ini (with the example value from the history for jpg and png), but it didn't change anything, the app still shows just the single file I clicked, no navigation.

While testing, I noticed additional issues which I don't understand, but which could be related:
a) the "PhotoViewer.dll" option is not saved. When I restart TC, the option is checked again, and Photo Viewer is opened when I double-click image files.
b) the "PhotoViewer.dll" checkbox is missing completely in the 32-bit version of TC.
Adding ReplacePhotoApp=0 manually to wincmd.ini didn't change anything at all.

Is TC supposed to behave like that, or am I doing something wrong?

TC 11.03 rc1 32- and 64-bit, Win10 22H2 x64.
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Using TC 10.52 / Win10 x64
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Re: [11.03rc1] Photos app does not show all images

Post by *Flint »

P. S. I tried 11.02, and there the association-related functionality seems to work fine: the checkbox is present in both TC versions, it's saved in the INI file, and applied correctly after restarting TC. Therefore, it seems, this is a bug of 11.03 specifically.
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

AntonyD
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *AntonyD »

Result: The Photos app opened and showed just this image, without any navigation arrows.
For some reason, M$ made it so that if you call this program NOT from Explorer - these control arrows will not be there.
#146217 personal license
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Sorry, my mistake, I forgot to include the new DLL which adds this functionality to open multiple files.
Please do the following:
1. Close and re-open Total Commander to unload the old dll.
2. Download the following file:
https://www.totalcommander.ch/beta/tcsharewin10.zip
3. Double click on it in Total Commander to install the new DLLs.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

I confirm that with the updated libraries the multi-image view works in Photos.
However, the other issues I mentioned are still there, so I guess they are unrelated. Should I report them as separate posts, then?

ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

I confirm that with the updated libraries the multi-image view works in Photos.
great!
However, the other issues I mentioned are still there, so I guess they are unrelated. Should I report them as separate posts, then?
No need. The option should be hidden on Windows 10 and newer now because it's no longer needed - if the user wants to use the older viewer, they can change the association themselves.
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

Well, if it should be hidden, then there's a bug in the 64-bit version, as the checkbox is still present there.
ghisler(Author) wrote: 2024-01-21, 09:49 UTCif the user wants to use the older viewer, they can change the association themselves.
How can one do it? Since Photo Viewer is implemented via DLL, you can't directly associate it. I thought, you added this checkbox to TC exactly for that reason: to give the users option to associate with Photo Viewer which would be impossible to do in the usual way.

petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2Flint

Hav you tried: rundll32.exe shimgvw.dll,ImageView_Fullscreen "%1"
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well, if it should be hidden, then there's a bug in the 64-bit version, as the checkbox is still present there.
Indeed it is, it will be fixed in RC2.
How can one do it? Since Photo Viewer is implemented via DLL, you can't directly associate it.
You are right, but you can still do it with a new ini option:
PhotoAppFilter=-
This turns off the new function to pass multiple files to the photo app.
ReplacePhotoApp then determines again whether to redirect the association to the Phot Viewer dll or now.

Maybe I should re-enable the checkbox and set PhotoAppFilter=- and ReplacePhotoApp=1 when the user checks it...
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2024-01-22, 10:18 UTCMaybe I should re-enable the checkbox and set PhotoAppFilter=- and ReplacePhotoApp=1 when the user checks it...
I'd remove/hide the checkbox once it's clear that the new feature/function in TC works as expected and intended for all users. If it doesn't work for someone for whatever reason, hiding the checkbox does more harm than good IMO.
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

You are right, I will not hide it, but make it unchecked by default (even if the user manually changed it in the past).
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

This should be fixed in RC2, please test it:
1. The new dlls should be included now, so Enter on a JPG file should now open it with the possibility to switch through the files in the same directory.
2. The "PhotoViewer.dll" checkbox should be present in both TC 32-bit and 64-bit in Files - Associate With
3. The "PhotoViewer.dll" checkbox should now be unchecked by default
4. Checking the "PhotoViewer.dll" checkbox will open the image with the desktop photo viewer.
5. Unchecking the "PhotoViewer.dll" checkbox will again open the image with the photos app.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Confirmed working as described with TC 11.03rc2 under Windows 10 22H2
License #524 (1994)
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

Indeed, confirm too. I've played around with this option, and it seems to work as expected now. Thanks!

2petermad
Sorry for not replying to your post earlier, I didn't have time to test it. I have tried it now, but it doesn't seem to work, even though the command line by itself does run the Photo Viewer. Although it's probably something to do with that weirdness that Windows file association system turned into. I tried associating PNG with MS Paint, but they are still opened in Photos.

petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2Flint

Personally I have most success associating files in Windows by the file context menu, chosing "Open with" -> "Choose another app", and then check the option "Always use this app to open .xxx files"
License #524 (1994)