How to see the real READ and WRITE speeds?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Turboworld

How to see the real READ and WRITE speeds?

Post by *Turboworld »

I'm wondering how I can see the actual read and write speeds (during a copy operation)?
I would very much like to see them separately.
Let me explain why.

I connected the new device, an SSD, via USB cable. And I want to figure out why it is running slow (I tried to copy a large file to it and the speed was about 2.5 MB/second, which is very slow because the device should be USB 3.0 (it is connected to the appropriate speedy blue USB port) and it is an SSD!

I was copying a large file, about 2.4 Gb - and it copied at a very slow speed of 2.5 MB/sec. But the source and destination were all devices connected via USB cables. A portable HDD and a new SSD device connected via USB cable too.

Then I tried to copy a large file from the local C drive. And Total Commender quite quickly showed me the progress bar rushing to the 100% mark, but at that point I had to wait about a minute or a minute and a half more. From this I concluded that Total Commander shows the reading speed (copying goes to some buffer), and then from the buffer the actual writing to disk takes place, but all this with 100% progress bar.

Image: http://hotlinker.ru/tmp/total_screenshot_p001.png

Is it possible to see read and write speeds separately?
Or the write speed itself? So that I can see how the copying process is going on in real time, and not look at the 100% figure for a few minutes.

Is this possible? :)
From Russia with Love
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Re: How to see the real READ and WRITE speeds?

Post by *petermad »

the device should be USB 3.0 (it is connected to the appropriate speedy blue USB port)
Just a thought - is your USB-cable USB 3.0 high speed certified?
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

Even if it's not a USB 3.0 cable, the speed is way too slow even for USB 2.0! Drives connected via USB 2.0 usually reach speeds of between 15 and 30 MB/s. Though transferring many small files is much slower than that.

Either the calculation which resulted in 2.5 MB/s is wrong, or there is some serious issue with the drive, cable, USB port or USB subsystem.
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
Turboworld

Post by *Turboworld »

I tested the read speed as follows. On the SSD device I selected a large file (~2.5 Gb) and pressed F5 (copy) in Total Commander. Then in the dialog box instead of the destination folder I specified the device NUL (I've seen such a tip for testing data reading, so as not to copy the information somewhere on the physical device). Thus the file was copied from the SSD drive almost instantly. I conclude that there is nothing wrong with reading. And with the cable, respectively, as well.
Am I doing this correctly? :)
From Russia with Love
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

To test the read speed properly I suggest to use something like ReadFile (console utility). Be careful with the output, IIRC the average value in the summary is wrong. Maybe CrystalDiskMark is easier to use, though that also tests write speeds.

I suggest to find out which drive is slow. It might also be a good idea to check Windows Event Log in Event Viewer (eventvwr.msc) for errors and warnings related to any drive(s).
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror