How can I copy folders to other panel from tree view

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

bibliomusic

How can I copy folders to other panel from tree view

Post by *bibliomusic »

I want to copy a number of sub-folders from one drive to another and it seems as though tree view is the choice I should make. But I can't figure our how to use the tree on one side and mark folders there without the same tree's drive showing up in the other panel. I brought up tree for one and marked with Enter several folders, and then specified the exact folder to copy to in the target box. But it started with the topmost folder (alphabetically) of the one I wanted to choose from. So is it possible to do this operation and if so, exactly how. I tried using various flavors of Separate Tree view but the same thing kept happening.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Re: How can I copy folders to other panel from tree view

Post by *petermad »

2bibliomusic
It is possible, but you have to enable "Configuration" -> "Options..." -> "Operation" -> "Mouse selection mode" -> "Use right mouse button (as in NC) - context menu after 1 second".

Then you can use the File panel Tree (not the Separate Tree), because you can select the folders by clicking with the right mouse button, without changing the drive/folder in the other panel.
  1. Select all the folders you want to copy in the tree by right-clicking them.
  2. In the other panel (in Full View) open the drive and folder, you want to copy to.
  3. Set focus on the panel with the tree, but NOT by clicking on anything in the panel. You can click on the Current directory bar on top of the panel or at the Status bar at the bottom of the panel, or best: use the Tab key to set focus on the panel with the tree.
  4. Press F5.

It is also possible to do it with the "Mouse selection mode" -> "Left mouse button (Windows standard)", but then you have to use Ctrl+click in step one here above to select the folders, and you have to have expanded all the tree parts where you want to select folders before you start selecting, because you loose the selection when you click to expand the tree. You can navigate and expand with the cursor keys, without loosing selections though.

But the trick lies in step 3 here above.

bibliomusic wrote:I brought up tree for one and marked with Enter several folders
You cannot mark with Enter in TC - you can mark by pressing the Insert key or spacebar or by Ctrl+click or Shift+click, and depending on the Mouse selection mode with Right-click
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar