Connecting to networked computer slow/freezes

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

bsh

Connecting to networked computer slow/freezes

Post by *bsh »

Hi,
I have this since a very long time (since forever...) but I rarely use it except for now and it gets annoying.
We have a small workgroup network (no domain) and when I open a network neigborhood PC in explorer, it works fine, asks for login credentials and just works perfectly.
When doing the same from TC network neighborhood, it shows the usual windows prompt to enter credentials, but then this windows seems to "freeze". After entering credentials the OK button is greyed out and can not click it, nor anywhere else in the popup. But wierdly when pressing ALT it immediately shows the alt-hotkeys, so it's not totally frozen. This takes somewhere from 1 to 2 minutes, until it reacts and OK clicked, it works fine.
I have no idea what is this long delay? As said, it works fast from explorer so I guess it has something to do with TC? Any ideas guys?
white
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Connecting to networked computer slow/freezes

Post by *white »

Which version of Total Commander are you using?
Do you have Tree view or separate tree view enabled?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Are you perhaps running Total Commander with higher user rights than the system (As Administrator)? This can often cause problems.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
bsh

Post by *bsh »

white wrote: 2024-02-22, 09:38 UTC Which version of Total Commander are you using?
Do you have Tree view or separate tree view enabled?
currently 11.0, but as said, I always had this problem, since 10+ years I believe.
bsh

Post by *bsh »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2024-02-22, 10:02 UTC Are you perhaps running Total Commander with higher user rights than the system (As Administrator)? This can often cause problems.
yes my user have administrator rights (but it's not a built-in admin account). Why does it cause problems?
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

yes my user have administrator rights
That is not the issue - the issue is whether you are running TC with administrator rights or not - If you see your Windows User name followed by an ^ in TC's title bar (at the top), then you are running TC as administrator.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
bsh

Post by *bsh »

petermad wrote: 2024-02-22, 10:17 UTC
yes my user have administrator rights
That is not the issue - the issue is whether you are running TC with administrator rights or not - If you see your Windows User name followed by an ^ in TC's title bar (at the top), then you are running TC as administrator.
no, i am not.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

bsh wrote: 2024-02-22, 12:03 UTC no, i am not.
What if you in TC's command line type cd //computername is that faster or slower than clicking on [computername] in the Network Neighborhood.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Pathduck

Post by *Pathduck »

Maybe not related, as OP seems to have had the problem "for ever" but I have noticed since the release of 11.03 some serious freezes in TC when using network paths. This is at work and we use this all the time.

It's possible it's our network making the freezes, but I believe I've only seen this since 11.03 - i.e. only the last days.
It's difficult to reproduce as it only happens "some times". Maybe there's some kind of "cache" of network paths in TC that gets timed out, or something changed with this in 11.03?

I had one instance where I had to terminate TC because it just hung.
Currently the admin server we use has Server 2019, I use the x64 TC.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have reviewed all code changes from 11.02 to 11.03 before the release and couldn't find any changes which would lead to a freeze with network shares.

Please go back to 11.02 and check whether the problem is still there. You can find old versions here:
https://www.totalcommander.ch/win/old/?C=M;O=D
Just run the installer and choose "Update".
bsh

Post by *bsh »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2024-02-25, 09:51 UTC I have reviewed all code changes from 11.02 to 11.03 before the release and couldn't find any changes which would lead to a freeze with network shares.

Please go back to 11.02 and check whether the problem is still there. You can find old versions here:
https://www.totalcommander.ch/win/old/?C=M;O=D
Just run the installer and choose "Update".
I'm on 11.00 and as said in the original post, this is not a new issue. It's been like that forever, I just didn't use it very often. It could very well be something with our network, but since doing this from Explorer works fine, I thought it might be something from TC, even though it seems to be using the same internal routines as Windows Explorer itself (same popup at least)
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

You can use the free tool "what is hang" to find out where Total Commander is hanging:
https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/what_is_hang.html