[TC11.03] Wrong files shown in error message when two files have the identical name but different letter cases

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

poiuz

[TC11.03] Wrong files shown in error message when two files have the identical name but different letter cases

Post by *poiuz »

This is a folder on my NAS:

Image: https://i.imgur.com/UY8aFmB.png

This is the error message that is shown when I use "synchronize folders" with a local NTFS volume:

Image: https://i.imgur.com/wxE9Ts8.png

Expected behaviour:
Either show "Gel üN.BMP" and "Gel üN.bmp"
or show "Gel üN.JPG" and "Gel üN.jpg" in the error message.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Re: [TC11.03] Wrong files shown in error message when two files have the identical name but different letter cases

Post by *Dalai »

Apparently all filenames named in the error message have multiple copies of different letter cases. Add another pair of such files and compare again; one of the files is most likely added into the error message.

Phrased another way: Not these particular filenames mentioned in the error message are of different letter case.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
poiuz

Re: [TC11.03] Wrong files shown in error message when two files have the identical name but different letter cases

Post by *poiuz »

Dalai wrote: 2024-03-14, 16:53 UTC Apparently all filenames named in the error message have multiple copies of different letter cases.
This is obviously wrong.

As you can see in my first screenshot there are six files in this folder:
Gel üN.BMP
Gel üN.bmp
Gel üN.HRX
Gel üN.JPG
Gel üN.jpg
Gel üN farbe.JPG

The filenames of two pairs of them are identical except for the upper and lower case letters in their extensions:
"Gel üN.BMP" + "Gel üN.bmp" and "Gel üN.JPG" + "Gel üN.jpg"

In the error message (see the second screenshot) the filenames "Gel üN.BMP" and "Gel üN farbe.JPG" are shown,

So, not apparently but most definitely has the file "Gel üN farbe.JPG" no name duplicate with a different case.

Normally, the two filenames in this error message are identical except for their case. This also happens, when I delete "Gel üN farbe.JPG". Then "Gel üN.BMP" + "Gel üN.bmp" are shown.

This is why I expect the following behaviour:
Either show "Gel üN.BMP" and "Gel üN.bmp"
or show "Gel üN.JPG" and "Gel üN.jpg" in the error message.

Furthermore, the text in the error message is sometimes (on my NAS even most of the time) wrong and dangerous, since it can lead to potential data loss, because it always states that those files are duplicates of each other (not only their names) and one of them has to be deleted to resolve this problem, even if the two files are not identical (only their names).

So it should not state falsely that the files are identical when they are not (only their names) and it should state to rename and not to delete the files to resolve this error.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

poiuz wrote: 2024-03-15, 09:28 UTCSo, not apparently but most definitely has the file "Gel üN farbe.JPG" no name duplicate with a different case.
Sorry, I missed that.
[...] because it always states that those files are duplicates of each other (not only their names)
Here's the original English message text:
1361="Error, two files with the same name but different case exist on the remote server!\nBecause Windows doesn't support this on local drives, you need to delete one of the duplicates before proceeding!"
The term duplicates at the end of the message refers to the filename, not their contents. But maybe "copies" or "files" or "one of the file pair" or something similar would be better suited to avoid the impression of real duplicates.
[...] and one of them has to be deleted to resolve this problem, even if the two files are not identical (only their names).
Here I agree because renaming would also resolve the issue. Still, deleting can also resolve the conflict, thus it should be kept in the message as a possible option.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Itested a little:

First I made a Windows 10 "mixedcase" folder that allows for identical filenames with different case (fsutil.exe file setCaseSensitiveInfo %P%N enable) and put these fiels in the folder:
Gel üN.BMP
Gel üN.bmp
Gel üN.HRX
Gel üN.JPG
Gel üN.jpg
Gel üN farbe.JPG

Then I made another normal folder "noncase" with only these files:
Gel üN.BMP
Gel üN.HRX
Gel üN.JPG
Gel üN farbe.JPG

I made the dates for the files different from the ones in the mixed case folder.

And I made a folder on my FTP-site with these files:
Gel üN.BMP
Gel üN.bmp
Gel üN.HRX
Gel üN.JPG
Gel üN.jpg
Gel üN farbe.JPG

If I sync the mixedcase and the noncase folder I get and error that is only mentioning: Gel üN.bmp and Gel üN.BMP (in that order even though the sort order in the sync list is Gel üN.BMP, Gel üN.bmp)

Same thing if I sync the FTP folder and the noncase folder - so I can not recreate the "Gel üN.BMP" and "Gel üN farbe.JPG" error message you get with your NAS.

2poiuz
I noticed that "Gel üN farbe.JPG" is sorted first in the Sync dialog, which apparantly is the sorting of the NTFS file system (as you see it when selecting Unsorted view in TC) - Is "Gel üN farbe.JPG" also sorted first in your scenario?
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
poiuz

Post by *poiuz »

Ok, let's see:

test.bmp -> no error (correct)
test.bmp, test.BMP -> error with test.bmp, test.BMP (correct)
test.bmp, test.BMP, test.jpg -> error with test.bmp, test.BMP (correct)
test.bmp, test.BMP, test.jpg, test.JPG -> error with test.BMP (partially correct)
test.bmp, test.BMP, test.jpg, test.JPG, test.tmp -> error with test.BMP (partially correct)
test.bmp, test.BMP, test.jpg, test.JPG, test.tmp, test.abc -> error with test.BMP, test.abc (incorrect)
test.bmp, test.BMP, test.jpg, test.JPG, test.abc -> error with test.BMP, test.abc (incorrect)
test.bmp, test.BMP, test.jpg, test.JPG, test.abc, test.aaa -> error with test.BMP, test.abc (incorrect)
test.bmp, test.BMP, test.jpg, test.JPG, test.aaa -> error with test.BMP, test.aaa (incorrect)

---------- UPDATE ----------
The sorting and the order of creation of the files in the folder does not matter.

The last error message from above: Image: https://i.imgur.com/6erOWU2.png
And the synchronization window after clicking on "OK": Image: https://i.imgur.com/x4XleXr.png

You can see, that not all of the red-flagged files have identical names with different letter cases. Instead of the last four files, the first four files are marked.

---------- UPDATE 2 ----------
Some more screenshots where I successively added more files and always got wrong results:
Image: https://i.imgur.com/xGQXC8n.png
Image: https://i.imgur.com/5DMdOv3.png
Image: https://i.imgur.com/FUH8AkQ.png
Image: https://i.imgur.com/N3h6jRg.png
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Sorry, I cannot reproduce any of these results. I tried on Windows 11 23H2 and Windows 10 22H2. I created two case sensitive folders and then created the files with Shift+F4.
First folder:
Gel üN.bmp|Gel üN.BMP|Gel üN.HRX|Gel üN.jpg|Gel üN.JPG|Gel üN farbe.JPG
Second folder:
test.bmp|test.BMP|test.jpg|test.JPG|test.tmp|test.abc

The sync tool always complained about "Gel üN.bmp"/"Gel üN.BMP" and "test.bmp"/"test.BMP" and then disabled all the duplicates in the sync tool. I tried with a fresh ini to be sure that my settings didn't have an effect.

What am I missing?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com