Alt+Down (Dir History) - filter all by typing

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

nedko

Alt+Down (Dir History) - filter all by typing

Post by *nedko »

Hi Mr Ghisler, I was really overwhelmed when I saw the new Directory History screen. It was awsome feeling. Then I realized that I can use it in the absolutely the same manner as the old screen which was just a classic boring menu. Namely - I have to eyeball the exact directory I need because the filtering has strange behavior. I cannot help but think of it as missed oportunity - here is why:

The search field searches/filters only the leaf directory (the one after the last path separator in the path). Let me give you an example:

if we have the following directory list to search within:
- c:\my\complex\and\long\leafFolderName
- d:\main\FolderName\subfolder
- z:\FolderName\and\more\dirs\afterthat
- \\anotherpc\FolderName\and\more

and we search for "FolderName" only the first item gets found: "c:\my\complex\and\long\leafFolderName".
All the items contain this name and they all should be found but only the first one gets filtered.

If I want to search all the network paths starting with "\\anotherpc" - again no luck. It doesnt get found.

if I want to filter by device "z:\" again - no luck.

My suggestion is this filtering/searching to work not only for the last folder in the path but for the entire path.

here are pictures demonstrating the issue:

Image: https://i.imgur.com/Cjvsdlu.png
Image: https://i.imgur.com/mxtB9JV.png
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Alt+Down (Dir History) - filter all by typing

Post by *petermad »

2nedko
If you want to search in the path you must start the search string with *
history.txt wrote: 10.03.23 Added: Directory history list: Quick search in whole path by starting search strings with an asterisk, e.g. *windows will find c:\windows\system32 too (32/64)
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
nedko

Re: Alt+Down (Dir History) - filter all by typing

Post by *nedko »

oh my God. I searched so much for anything I may have missed and then I missed this. This asterisk will do just fine for me. Thank you

Yet I cannot help but wonder how many other ppl will get stuck at the same place where I was stuck. Why would someone need to put an extra asterisk when normal typing should do? I need searching in the entire path almost all the time, not only in the last part of the path. It seems strange from usability point of view.