[REQ] File Date (setAttrib)

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Balderstrom
Power Member
Power Member

[REQ] File Date (setAttrib)

Post by *Balderstrom »

Wondering about getting the "Modified Date" / "Accessed Date" into cm_setAttrib ? as done here.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Currently this isn't dome because it would only confuse most users (me included). Even you seem to be confused: The "Modified date" is the one which you can set! You certainly mean the "Creation date".

The "Modified date" is the most important, because it is used for things like backups, or to detect file modifications. The "Creation date" should not be changed, it should be the date when the file (not its content) was created.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

The "Creation date" should not be changed, it should be the date when the file (not its content) was created.
...and the modified date should reflect the modified date, right? But, still you are abusing it to reflect the version number of TC in the setup files. Hard to believe that this is perfectly alright and doing the same with creation date is not.

The absence of creation and access date modification is a real flaw in TC, the same goes for all other attributes. TC should be able to set ALL available attributes, not only those you are considering worthy.
compressed, sparse, encrypted, just to name a few...

Icfu
This account is for sale
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sheepdog »

icfu wrote: TC should be able to set ALL available attributes, not only those you are considering worthy.
Support ++

For those who are confused by the other Attributes it could be done by an 'extended' button in the usual attribute-dialog.

sheepdog
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Douglas Adams
Balderstrom
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Balderstrom »

I change files "modified" date for most everything I download among other things - so that the date reflects when the file was actually "created" not when I downloaded it. So all these files wind up with inconsistencies of modified dates earlier than its stamped 'creation'.

Like many things in TC, I found it useful because it brought together what you would need so many other utilities to do. But the answer to a lot of requests seems to be get another util to do it, instead of expanding TC's functionality - that really seems awry to me.

A good example would be TC's lister, great tool, except you can't set the colours it uses. Viewing a HTML file in lister is highly unreadable as it uses the Windows background colour (in my case dark blue) and Webpage's link colour - light blue :P
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

lister, great tool, except you can't set the colours it uses
Configuration - Options - Color.
:)

HTH
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Balderstrom
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Balderstrom »

*chuckle* I went and looked at Listers internal Options, then again at TC's Options...and still I couldn't figure out what you were referring to, thought you were being facitious, then all of a sudden could "see" that pull down menu. I've never noticed that before, and I tweak colours a lot. Guess I've gotten used to "tab" interfaces or the like.
Thanks.
Clo

Glasses ? :)

Post by *Clo »

2Balderstrom

:) Hello !
¤ Configuration >> Color Combobox “Others : ” Lister (head of the list)
- Here are FIVE options to set colours in the Lister…

:mrgreen: KR
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
frenky

Post by *frenky »

TC should be able to set ALL available attributes, not only those you are considering worthy.
I also support this feature...
Ambiguity succeeds where honesty dares not venture.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

I can definitely see the use of being able to change the "Creation date" but I cannot see the idea in marking a non-compressed file as compressed or a non-encrypted file as encrypted or vice versa - in the worst case that might even "confuse" the OS.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2petermad
I cannot see the idea in marking a non-compressed file as compressed or a non-encrypted file as encrypted or vice versa - in the worst case that might even "confuse" the OS.
Some attributes require a special API function to be changed not just toggling the corresponding attribute.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2Lefteous
Some attributes require a special API function to be changed not just toggling the corresponding attribute
Then it makes more sense - actually changing the properties of the file could be handy.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2petermad
Then it makes more sense - actually changing the properties of the file could be handy.
Yes the difference is only from a programmers point of view. There is no need to transport this difference to the user. Explorer provides these attributes in the same way as the "simple" attributes.
WatchUer

Post by *WatchUer »

TC should be able to set ALL available attributes, not only those you are considering worthy.
Hope this will be implemented in the forthcoming 7.0
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Just for your information, I have recently added new functions to content plugins which will allow the modification of plugin attributes by the user via the Files - Change attributes dialog. This way you can now also change the creation date+time and set the encrypted or compressed attribute (which will actually NTFS-encrypt or compress the file) via the "tc" plugin.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com