Alternate line shading request

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

JohnFredC
Power Member
Power Member

Alternate line shading request

Post by *JohnFredC »

If TC will offer shading of alternate lines in the file panels in a future version, then here is a further request:

Please consider exposing an INI value to control the number of lines shaded alternately.

For instance, a setting of 3 would shade three lines one color, then the next three lines the other color.

I am a strong proponent of alternately shaded lines in the file panels, but have come to think that every other line (a setting of 1) is too visually noisy. I would set the parameter to 3 or 5, probably, if it was available.
Licensed, Mouse-Centric, moving (slowly) toward Touch-centric
poiuytr

Post by *poiuytr »

Do you mean something like this?
Yes it could be quite handy.
van Dusen
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Alternate line shading request

Post by *van Dusen »

JohnFredC wrote:If TC will offer shading of alternate lines in the file panels in a future version, then here is a further request:[...]
Alternate shading of lines will be offered with TC V7.0. Perhaps Mr. Ghisler can enhance his implementation with the feature you've requested.

I support your feature request (I've tested alternating line colors with SC, and you are right: Can be noisy, even if you choose very low contrasting colors.). But even alternating colors "only" for even/odd lines would be very nice...
JohnFredC
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JohnFredC »

The main problem with SpeedCommander's handling of alternate shading isn't really about the shading, though. SC leaves too little space between the files in detailed view... so little space that no manner of font size adjustment will make the SC panels easy to read. If SC had 1 or 2 more pixels between the lines, then it would be much easier (and faster, I might add) to use.

A standard approach to increasing legibility in the publishing world is to "loosen" the text... place a small amount of space between text elements (such as lines). Of course, that can be over done, too. There is an optimum amount for each circumstance.

IMHO Servant Salamander has the easiest to read file panels, followed by Magellan, then Frigate and ABCommander, then TC, then DOpus and FreeCommander, with SC trailing, even with alternate shading turned on.
Licensed, Mouse-Centric, moving (slowly) toward Touch-centric
nilsandrey

Option to control "loosen" of text

Post by *nilsandrey »

I support the JohnFredC request. I want to add...
A standard approach to increasing legibility in the publishing world is to "loosen" the text... place a small amount of space between text elements (such as lines).
...the recommendation of include an option to control this amount, because whe can change the font, so maybe the reached legibility vary in a couple of pixels with the font.
Clo

Discussed …

Post by *Clo »

2JohnFredC

:) Hello John !

- Gh. Ghisler confirmed somewhere here that gridlines and different background colours for odd and even rows will be added in the future 7.0…
This has been discussed on the beta-forum a long while ago already.
- There were several proposals like mine in order to get all features configurable.
For instance, you can watch this image.
- I drew it as a "Full Preview" for a new setting-page on wich you could set separator-rulers, and the colour/thickness of these rulers.
- I don't know yet which features the Author has implemented from these ideas (or else), though…

:mrgreen: Kind regards,
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials