[F. Req.] New commands : cm_GoToDriveRoot“x”

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Clo

[F. Req.] New commands : cm_GoToDriveRoot“x”

Post by *Clo »

:) Hello All !

¤ This request is related to this tread on the French forum. Please, see the translations I made in the messages.

- The user JeanPaul having a “problem” with the command cm_GoToDriveC, finally one discovered that it needs AlwaysToRoot=1 too in <wincmd.ini> in order to get the behaviour expected (maybe wrongly) by the most users : jump to the root of the wanted drive, that is not in the real features of this command-group…

¤ Hence, I thought that new "merged" commands like cm_GoToDriveRoot“x” would be useful, since AlwaysToRoot=1 is applied ever to all drives.
They could have advantages, by setting the behaviour of the GoTo… command for any drive as one go.

What do you think ?

:mrgreen: Kind regards,
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
Vansumsen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Vansumsen »

Hi !
Actually both cm_VisDriveButtons and cm_GotoDrive"X" jump to the last opened folder on the wanted drive...
Is it possible to change one of the 2 commands to force it to jump to the root of the drive... because AlwaysToRoot=1 change the behaviour of the 2 commands ?
- Or else, the Clo's proposal above could solve the issue I guess, and might not be very difficult to implement…
Friendly
Paul
Ouistiti, #11943

L'important n'est pas de convaincre, mais de donner à réfléchir.
The important thing is not to convince, but to incite to think.

ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

cm_GoToDriveC is meant to behave exactly like Alt+F1 - C, so this behaviour is intentional.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Except that cm_GoToDriveC doesn't support modification with Shift or Ctrl as does the use of Alt+F1.

After presseng Alt+F1, if I hold down Shift or Ctrl while pressing the C button I get a new Tab or respectively replace the current tab with the root of drive C:.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Clo

Issue not solved

Post by *Clo »

:arrow: ghisler(Author)

:) Good evening,
cm_GoToDriveC is meant to behave exactly like Alt+F1 - C, so this behaviour is intentional.
- Most certainly, but the issue and the proposal above are not answered…

¤ For example, I could wish to get always the root for the C: drive (which is not my usual working place @ home) and the U: (network drive), and keep the designed behaviour for E: (my usual and boot drive), this from a bunch of buttons in the normal button-bar.
- This is impossible currently like petermad points out, since getting the root needs to set AlwaysToRoot=1 and
it's applied to all drives !
¤ Another way -maybe simpler- should be to modify the AlwaysToRoot=… INI entry like :
“0” or missing : disabled for all
AlwaysToRoot=A,C,U : It's applied only to these stated drives, while the others keep the designed behaviour.
- I guess it's that Paul Vansumsen meant as :
Vansumsen wrote
…Is it possible to change one of the 2 commands to force it to jump to the root of the drive…
What do you think ?

:mrgreen: m.f.G.
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
Vansumsen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Vansumsen »

2 Ghisler

Just an idea, why not introduce a parameter for the cm_GotoDrive"x" command, like %R, that should force a jump to the root of the disk? This should solve the problem...

Friendly

Paul
Ouistiti, #11943

L'important n'est pas de convaincre, mais de donner à réfléchir.
The important thing is not to convince, but to incite to think.

Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

BTW: You could use "cd c:\" in the Start menu...

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Clo

Commands for newbies

Post by *Clo »

2Hacker
:) Hello Roman !

- Indeed, but here the point is rather to use buttons with the appropriate commands, not paths - although they work-, because I guess that a command is easier to set by newbies from the scrolling-list (totalcmd.inc)…

:mrgreen: K R
Claude
Clo
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

cm_xyz commands don't support any parameters, that's why there is no way to influence the behaviour of cm_gotodrivec, except for alwaystoroot=1.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Clo

Add flags---

Post by *Clo »

2ghisler(Author)

:) Good evening,
…cm_xyz commands don't support any parameters…
• Hence, why not change / add flags to AlwaysToRoot=… like I propose above ?

- Indeed, the Hackers's cd "X":\ solution is good to get the root for some drives only, but I guess that very fresh newbies never used DOS, and even don't know exactly what is it; they look for the wanted function in the TC-commands, then (sometimes…) in the additional INI entries from the Help documents…

:mrgreen: m.f.G.
Claude
Clo