TOTAL COMMANDER 6.53 Tree View

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

pjbw

TOTAL COMMANDER 6.53 Tree View

Post by *pjbw »

:(
I have read so much in favour of TC that I downloaded it this pm. Unfortunately I am an inveterate outliner and tree viewer since Win 3.1's File Manager and now use PowerDesk. In TC's default view I don't think I would ever get used to having to read the folder path in TC to be sure that I am moving file(s) correctly.
Having my whole file system (floppy, hard disks, card readers, CD, flash drive) scrollable in one pane means I will stick with PD for now. TC's Tree View, restricted to one drive, is not the answer.
However I will miss a lot of functionality in TC - maybe for version 7+ development might focus on making the Tree View the default in line with Explorer, PowerDesk, etc.
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

I dont think so!
TreeView isnt the answer since NortonCommander :D
Hoecker sie sind raus!
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Yes, maybe this one of the reasons why NortonCommander is history. :twisted:

And you would not want TC to be history soon, too, would you? :?:

I would not, so I really wish TC will not stay too close to NortonCommander. :wink:

No need to give up the two file panels as they are, but maybe, optionally allow a folder tree in each panel?

Karl
Last edited by karlchen on 2005-11-24, 22:09 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
MX Linux 21.3 64-bit xfce, Total Commander 10.52 64-bit
The people of Alderaan keep on bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine.
The Prophet's Song
Clo

Trick… ?

Post by *Clo »

2karlchen
:) Hello Karl !

• Until he'll be come off the M$ tree-thing, pjbw could use a workaround :
- Set buttons in the button-bar for all his drives, and use the command cd "X":\ where "X": is each drive letter.
- So, he could change the tree view to any other drive, either in one or into the other panel (not both).

:mrgreen: V.G.
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

karlchen wrote:I would not, so I really wish TC will not stay too close too NortonCommander. :wink:
And I hope it will :D
(PS TC will never be history ;p)
Hoecker sie sind raus!
solid
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *solid »

karlchen wrote:Yes, maybe this one of the reasons why NortonCommander is history. :twisted:

And you would not want TC to be history soon, too, would you? :?:
Karl
Beacuse NC worked under DOS and Dos is (almost) history, so is NC. But whenever i had to work in dos enviroment, i fire up NC, so it is not history.

TC is for windows and until there is windows, there will be TC :) And i hope, when windows becomes history, TC will continue to live on whatever platform will replace it.
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Trick… ?

Post by *karlchen »

Good evening, Clo.
Until he'll be come off the M$ tree-thing, pjbw could use a workaround :
- Set buttons in the button-bar for all his drives, and use the command cd "X":\ where "X": is each drive letter.
- So, he could change the tree view to any other drive, either in one or into the other panel (not both).
As you say yourself, it is just a workaround.
A workaround is better than no solution at all.

Yet, I think it would be very handy to have the option of displaying the folder tree on each side in addtion to the file panels as they are now.
  • So the lefthand file panel would be: Tree - File Panel.
    The righthand file panel would be: File Panel - Tree.
    If you mark a folder inside the tree the corresponding file panel will show its contents.
    If you change to a folder in the file panel, the cursor in the tree will move accordingly.
(I know all this has been suggested before.)

It may help people being used to Explorer e.g. to get used to TC more easily. And if I remember right e.g. DOpus offers such a feature.

And I am afraid if the TC interface simply and purely sticks to the NC standard, which was ok in DOS times, it will start losing users sooner or later.

Regards,
Karl
MX Linux 21.3 64-bit xfce, Total Commander 10.52 64-bit
The people of Alderaan keep on bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine.
The Prophet's Song
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

And if I remember right e.g. DOpus offers such a feature.
Yep, and it's rocks. :)

But: Total Commander could do it even better if it would integrate Locate database into that tree:
http://www.uku.fi/~jmhuttun/english/softwares.shtml

Alt-F10 on speed, direct file and folder access just by entering a (part of) a filename or folder. The update and access speed of Locate is impressive, it beats the current Alt-F10 tree and the Alt-F7 search hands down.

Icfu
This account is for sale