[REQ] I know it just a dream ... a Cloneback viewer

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Molecule

[REQ] I know it just a dream ... a Cloneback viewer

Post by *Molecule »

I'm not a programmer so this is just plain over the top for me to suggest it, but just for the fun of it, I just thought I might offer this dream I had (What is it about TC that makes a homeuser feel empowered again???)

A viewer plugin, which for my imagination I'm calling TC-CloneBack, that would work prior to shutdown as follows:

To begin, a user makes an image of the OS operating areas (say c:\windows) that he wants to protect. It's a complete image from soup to nuts, and it becomes the "baseline" for measuring changes to the OS system area. (Making this image might take a littlle while; but once done, everything after that would be incremental (faster)).

After browsing internet, installing new programs, transferring files and programs etc., all of which make changes (change, add, or delete) to registry keys and to system files (any file in root, and in windows subfolders : ini, sys, dat, dll, exe, ...)

user could invoke Lister TC-Cloneback to view the changes that had been made to the system area, compared to the baseline image, showing (1) changes to registry keys (this might a really hard part to program and might take a moment or two), (2) changes to ini files (add, del, changes to lines etc.) and (3) changes to file date, size, version, icon, etc. for existing dll/exe files (4) additions of new files (ini, dll, exe, etc) and (5) deletions of same.

default has a checkbox filled next to each item, e.g. default will undo the identified changes and using the image file, "Cloneback" those parts of the system area that would have otherwise changed, without the owner's permission or knowledge.

unclicking default checkbox (user option) will cause the indentified changes to be adopted with the user's permission,--the TC Cloneback plugin does nothing for these changes, and the plugin then updates the image to set the new baseline.

The user makes these review decisions just prior to shutdown. Therefore, on next bootup his system will be the same as prevoius bootup except for changes known to him, within observed area.

Total Commander puts user back in total control of his OS system area again.

Yes, I know, I am probably far out in lala land, as usual ...
--platonic solids begin with sexagesimal-modulated rotational action --with negentropic bindings at nodal points --artifacts of congruence and similitude of harmonic-geometric forces within the ætheric and real domains --the tetrahedron for example
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

You got it, Total Commander is a file manager. There are specialized recovery utilities and system snapshotters out there that will do what you want. Plugins are not able to replace them.
Can the platonic solids be constructed by polyphonic modulation of rotational action, that being an artifact of interaction of forces of congruence and similitude between two sovereign and independent sphæric actions--consider the tetrahedron ...
Don't take drugs.

Icfu
This account is for sale
ado

Post by *ado »

icfu wrote:
You got it, Total Commander is a file manager. There are specialized recovery utilities and system snapshotters out there that will do what you want. Plugins are not able to replace them.
completely agree with Icfu. It is pretty complex thing what you want to do. TC is as far from that functionality as let's say MS Excel
Can the platonic solids be constructed by polyphonic modulation of rotational action, that being an artifact of interaction of forces of congruence and similitude between two sovereign and independent sphæric actions--consider the tetrahedron ...
Don't take drugs.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

ado
deus-ex
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *deus-ex »

Icfu

...to boldly go where no Rootkit has gone before...

Regards,
deus-ex
majkinetor

Post by *majkinetor »

Not bad for such a small peace of matery.

Your idea is good... in some point of view. I personaly prefer doing everything in TC, so don't mind those strait forward "by the book' guys who like it to be just the file browser.

Unfortunately, the bad things about that idea come from too many directions. First off all it is a snapshooting. Once, it was excelent procedure, but today, with huge HD-s and large registry banks it's just too slow. Hell.... It's even slower than that. Use Ashampoo Uninstaller if you like taking pictures of your system and roll them back. It's the best progy for that purpose I know.

So, basicly anything that doesn't do hooking is a bad idea. And one should have lots of time and will and knowledge to write such a plugin for TC.

---

@ Icfu
Don't take drugs.
It's called math. Unfortunately, people often confuse it with drugs addiction

@ Molecule
How many dimensions ? :wink:
We are not doing this just for the money.
We are doing it for sh*t load of money.

r-moth.com
r-moth.deviantart.com