Phony Sony

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

maxsomno

Phony Sony

Post by *maxsomno »

I just got a new Sony SDM-HS75P/SDM-HS95P monitor and couldn't wait to get it set up. When I installed it into WXP Home, everything seems to work OK except Total Commander. If I open TC, it briefly appears followed by an error screen reporting no input signal. Then the system reboots. Again the other programs seem OK. I have grown up with Norton Commander, Windows Commander and Total Commander and do not want to use Windows explorer (with a small e). Please advise. Thanks.

Tom Papin :x
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

ReInstall Your System ? :D
Hoecker sie sind raus!
SanskritFritz
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *SanskritFritz »

2maxsomno
Try to start TC with the command line parameter /i="c:\temp.ini"
Does it start now?
I switched to Linux, bye and thanks for all the fish!
maxsomno

Post by *maxsomno »

SanskritFritz,

You da man! TC is working fine. It's hard to imagine a monitor not displaying any program. :D I searched for command line switches last night but couldn't anything useful. How does your work around work? Thanks a lot.

Tom
SanskritFritz
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *SanskritFritz »

2maxsomno
How does your work around work?
That was just the beginning of the search for the problem. The /i option tells TC what ini file to use. This time it created an empty temp.ini in the C:\. Your next step should be to locate the wincmd.ini, TC uses by default. Check this registry entry: \HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Ghisler\Total Commander\IniFileName
there you can find the location of the ini file. There is probably something wrong. If you dont need the settings there, you are fine, just make sure you start your TC with the new ini file (or better, you edit the registry key, and move the ini file to a suitable location). If you need the settings, move the wincmd.ini file first to a safe location, start TC with the /i switch pointing to the ini file.
Read the help section 4.a.
Leif

Post by *Leif »

To find the location of the ini file, perhaps easier to have a look at Help | About. If you're a n00b like me, that is! :lol:
Get Radio? Sure! - the best Internet Radio Player ever! ;)
SanskritFritz
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *SanskritFritz »

2Leif
That would be possible if TC didnt crashed at the start, read the first post ;-)
SanskritFritz
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *SanskritFritz »

If I open TC, it briefly appears followed by an error screen reporting no input signal.
Is is possible, that TC was configured to be host for a port connection?
maxsomno

Post by *maxsomno »

:?: I knew where the wincmd.ini file was and used the /i switch to point there. So now TC runs OK every time I boot up. But (There's always a but...) now in order to view graphic files, I have to start ACDSee 6 first. If I double click on a jpg file in TC without starting ACDSee first, nothing happens. But if ACDSee is already open, the jpg file in TC will display OK. All the graphic files associations are all right. Any thoughts? TIA.

Tom
maxsomno

Post by *maxsomno »

I suppose I could write a batch file to start ACDSee first and then TC second.

Tom
Leif

Post by *Leif »

SanskritFritz wrote:2Leif
That would be possible if TC didnt crashed at the start, read the first post ;-)
:oops:
Me be illiterate n00b
Get Radio? Sure! - the best Internet Radio Player ever! ;)
SanskritFritz
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *SanskritFritz »

2maxsomno
All the graphic files associations are all right.
Are you sure? This sounds like the association of the jpg files is not right, only the DDE part looks to be ok. Check the \HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.jpg\(Default) entry in the registry, this points usually to jpegfile, in your case it should be ACDSee.jpeg or similar. Then check the entry \HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ACDSee.jpeg\shell\open\command\(Default), does it point to your ACDSee?
SanskritFritz
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *SanskritFritz »

2Leif
Me be illiterate n00b
:lol: that is funny!
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

2maxsomno
Did you already find out why Total Commander crashed with your old settings? Maybe you started in a directory which contained files where the icon extraction failed, e.g. because of a bad Explorer shell extension?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
maxsomno

Post by *maxsomno »

I fiddled around a good part of yesterday uninstalling, re-installing, cleaning the registry, etc. In fact I even bought the latest version of ACDSee 8. All without consistent success. I can get either TC or ACDSee to run, one or the other. For TC I just install wincmd.ini to the default directory of WINDOWS with the command line switch pointing to its location courtesy of SanskritFrit -- /i C:\WINDOWS\wincmd.ini. And it will work even when I reboot the system again. But when I double click on an image file such as .jpg, ACDSee 8 doesn't open. The image file associations look OK, and the registry entries appropriate for ACDSee 8 as per SanskritFrit. Then I re-install ACDSee 8, and it will open images files from explorer. But when I try to open TC, the system reboots (and vice versa if TC is up and running, then ACDSee 8 will cause the system to reboot). Basically I can get either TC or ACDSee 8 to work OK, but not the two together. When I get home from work later on, I will just change back to my old monitor and try the Sony monitor on another system. Thanks.

Tom

PS: TC is my single most favorite app. I have been a subscriber since it just came in the mail as a floppy.