Search for entire contents of folder older than certain date

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Matrix

Search for entire contents of folder older than certain date

Post by *Matrix »

Gaday

I would like to know if it is possible to search for entire contents of a folder and subfolders older than a certain date.

This search function is needed for archiving purposes and is so to keep the server size down to less than 20gig. (backup tape)

It appears to me that it is is easy to search for files older than a certain date, but it is whether the entire folder contents is older that that date which may be difficult.

You see there could be the odd file that has been change recently but %99 of the others have not inside he folder. This creates the complication that this job folder can incorrently be taken off the server and archived.

Any suggests would be greatly appreciated.
sorex

Post by *sorex »

I used a combination of the LiST plug in and ZIP once to ZIP all the files that weren't change in 1 or 2 years, I guess you don't want too much of a hassle for your back-up program right?

then why don't you use differential back-ups on weekdays and in the weekend a full back-up spread over 2 tapes?
frenky

Post by *frenky »

You could try to use plugins tab...
Add several rules... You can choose directory as an Property...

Or... If you running unix server you can try to wipp up some small shell script for the task...
It should not take long..
Ambiguity succeeds where honesty dares not venture.
bobcputnam

Post by *bobcputnam »

There's always XXCOPY to either do the archiving directly or create a file list.
Bob P
Matrix

Post by *Matrix »

frenky wrote:You could try to use plugins tab...
Add several rules... You can choose directory as an Property...

Or... If you running unix server you can try to wipp up some small shell script for the task...
It should not take long..
Yes I tried using the plugins tab, works to a point however it still dos'nt allow me to eliminate directories that may have a single file change recently.

I really like this method though, and I did use your suggestion for sorting by directories. Again I still get a list of directories that show even a single file that is within this date range. It woould be ideal to only show directories that only have files in it that are only in between this date range.

Is there an additional rule that I can use to only show direcotiries that contain 100% old files between the specified range?

Our server is running on NT and not unix, and I would'nt know where to start if it was anyway.

cheers for the support though.
frenky

Post by *frenky »

Hmm...
I see your point. I can't see how this could be done with TC. Maybe I'm wrong.
You would need something like:
- search for file that has date > some date
- get only folder of this file

Or in unix terms (as a start at least - You'll have to deal with folder depth also ...) find files not older than two days:)

find . -type f -mtime 2 -exec dirname {} \; | sort | uniq

I know that this does not help you but see why Unix is so great for servers?
Ambiguity succeeds where honesty dares not venture.