OT: Uncommented feature requests

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

majkinetor

OT: Uncommented feature requests

Post by *majkinetor »

2 Moderators
As a member of this community I find very anoying the fact that too many requests to improve TC keep staying in the fog. There is no clear clue what will happen with the request, whether it will be scheduled for implementation or not, whether it will enter the wish list or not, especialy for those that received several positive user comments, like this one.

We want to know is it accepted or not, for EVERY request. If not, I will change my opinion for this forum. I already find that too many posts here became loose of time.

2 Silvana
Only at Windows (TM) Explorer (R)
False !
In many application I know. Also, F2 is very easy to find without looking into keyboard. And I really don't know why do I need to press 2 keys instead one, for such frequently used procedure like file renaming.

[mod]Splitted from: http://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=9315[/mod]
We are not doing this just for the money.
We are doing it for sh*t load of money.

r-moth.com
r-moth.deviantart.com
Lesmo16

Post by *Lesmo16 »

[OT]
majkinetor wrote:As a member of this community I find very anoying the fact that too many requests to improve TC keep staying in the fog. There is no clear clue what will happen with the request, whether it will be scheduled for implementation or not, whether it will enter the wish list or not, especialy for those that received several positive user comments, like this one.

We want to know is it accepted or not, for EVERY request. If not, I will change my opinion for this forum. I already find that too many posts here became loose of time.
Support ++

That's the reason why I almost stopped posting in this forum. :?

[/OT]
Everyone believing in telekinesis, raise my hand!
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

majkinetor, Lesmo16,
As a member of this community I find very anoying the fact that too many requests to improve TC keep staying in the fog. There is no clear clue what will happen with the request, whether it will be scheduled for implementation or not, whether it will enter the wish list or not, especialy for those that received several positive user comments, like this one.

We want to know is it accepted or not, for EVERY request.
The moderators cannot influence the implementation of requested features any more than any other user. It is up to the author to express his opinion about these requests.
I already find that too many posts here became loose of time.
To make sure the request does not stay forgotten, you (anyone) can add articles to the wiki page Ideas and suggestions.

HTH
Hacker (Moderator)
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
majkinetor

Post by *majkinetor »

2 Hacker
-----------
The moderators cannot influence the implementation of requested features any more than any other user
Are you kidding me ? I saw too many times on this forum sentences like "I told ghisler this" or "I contacted ghisler with that" by few power users. I really don't know what do you find to be your job here since the only thing that can move you is posting words like sh$0it or f.uck, while real things keep going offline.
you (anyone) can add articles to the wiki page
Really !? What else should I do ? Just tell me, I can't wait.
It would be nice if you use Lefti as a model for good moderator. I mean, HE is compiling the 3th party tools list on Wiki, HE is writing plugins, HE did the model for shortcuts... what heave YOU done ?

2 Ghisler
-----------
What are we doing here? I thought we are trying to improve TC. But I hardly see your face here, and when I do, it is usually some less important speak while important things stay behind without notice. I don't judge you, maybe you are very busy man. If that is true, then find someone who can do this job or close this forum. I am not here just because I like the crowd.

2 Lesmo
That's the reason why I almost stopped posting in this forum
My man ! Why do we care if they don't.... I'll possible join you soon.
Last edited by majkinetor on 2005-12-28, 14:06 UTC, edited 4 times in total.

r-moth.com
r-moth.deviantart.com
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

majkinetor,
Are you kidding me ?
Nope. :)
I saw too many times on this forum sentences like "I told ghisler this" or "I contacted ghisler with that" by few power users.
Yes, and? You can write an e-mail to the author, too. :)
find someone who can do this job or close this forum
Feature requests are not the main purpose of the forum.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
majkinetor

Post by *majkinetor »

2 Hacker
--------------
I didn't expect anything useful from you.... please surprise me sometimes...

r-moth.com
r-moth.deviantart.com
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

majkinetor,
Maybe you could expect something from the forum search? Questions like these have been asked many times already.

Roman
majkinetor

Post by *majkinetor »

Ever since the invention of money, I wonder, why do people keep asking me, 'How can I show my gratitude?'..
How much for this tip ?

r-moth.com
r-moth.deviantart.com
Lesmo16

Post by *Lesmo16 »

@all moderators:
Hacker wrote:majkinetor, Lesmo16,

We want to know is it accepted or not, for EVERY request.
The moderators cannot influence the implementation of requested features any more than any other user. It is up to the author to express his opinion about these requests.
Well, I know that the mods can't decide such things, BUT mods are the elected contact men between common users and developers.
So they should also moderate the developer! If he doesn't answer/react properly on a suggestion or request, you have to do your job:

Dear developer,
a forum member made a suggestion/request, which wasn't answered until now.
Please give a statement, if / when / in which way it will be implemented.

Just my 5 cents ...
Hacker wrote:
To make sure the request does not stay forgotten, you (anyone) can add articles to the wiki page Ideas and suggestions.
And that's another place to ignore them ... :roll:
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sheepdog »

Lesmo16 wrote:@all moderators:

Well, I know that the mods can't decide such things, BUT mods are the elected contact men between common users and developers.
So they should also moderate the developer! If he doesn't answer/react properly on a suggestion or request, you have to do your job:

Dear developer,
a forum member made a suggestion/request, which wasn't answered until now.
Please give a statement, if / when / in which way it will be implemented.

Just my 5 cents ...
Apparently you (all) do not know how it happened that this forum is moderated at all. in 2004 there has been some flames here in the forums. And a bunch of users did not like that the threads were not moderated at all. After a time of discussion (and IIRC a poll) @Ghisler reluctant gave in to set in Moderators. Hacker, Lefteous and Clo (with few others) were so kind to be volunteers for this job, but they were the three that has been accepted by most of the users.

So moderation here is only to moderate threads to prevent or delimit flames between users. And that has been requested by majority of the users.

If Hacker ( or Lefteous or Clo) would moderate like you proposed it could be considered as presumptuous.

Lesmo16 wrote:
Hacker wrote:
And that's another place to ignore them ... :roll:
It's upon @Ghisler to decide wich requests to be taken over or ignored. But adding your request in the Wiki will ensure that the request is not forgotten accidentally.

BTW I agree that @Ghisler could be sometimes more informative about his opinion to some requests.
But I think you should stop keep getting at Hacker. He's not the one who should be addressed in this case.

My 2 cent.

sheepdog
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Douglas Adams
Lesmo16

Post by *Lesmo16 »

@Sheepdog: Thanks for your detailed reply!
Sheepdog wrote:If Hacker ( or Lefteous or Clo) would moderate like you proposed it could be considered as presumptuous.
Sorry, I don't see anything presumptuous (I had to lookup that word :wink: ).
Sheepdog wrote:It's upon @Ghisler to decide wich requests to be taken over or ignored.
Sure, he's the one! But posting suggestions/requests must be a DIALOG between users and the developer.
Even some posted bugs where ignored to comment - very frustrating!
Sheepdog wrote:But I think you should stop keep getting at Hacker. He's not the one who should be addressed in this case.
From my point of view, there's nothing personally against Hacker or specially his work as moderator.

@Hacker: I think you know me enough to understand it right. :)
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

Oh, as I can see history repeats itself – again.

Make sure that you always remember:
Déjà-vus are just failures in the matrix. ;)

Oh, by the way:
Clo, Hacker and Lefteous don't deserve to be attacked for the author's decisions like ignoring feature requests most of the time or staying quiet about future developments to not give the other file manager developers an advantage.

Fact is that without me and norfie there would have no need arised for moderation. Blame and hit me instead if you like, I deserve it! :)

Icfu
This account is for sale
SanskritFritz
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *SanskritFritz »

2icfu
Wham, bang, bang! Splash! :D
I switched to Linux, bye and thanks for all the fish!
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2majkinetor
what heave YOU done ?
And YOU, dear majki :!: what have YOU done for the community lately (if ever) :?:

2icfu
I have never had the urge to use the Ignore button on you, in contrary to a certain late newcomer - I think because you are intelligent to read, whereas ....
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

The only thing that would make sense would be a user-centred design process. This would solve much more than just the way user requests are handled.