Portable installation?

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

avada

Portable installation?

Post by *avada »

Hi!

I tried installing TC 8 64-bit and setting it so that it keeps its config in the app folder in hopes that it wouldn't effect the already installed 32 bit version. My hopes were proven wrong, so I reinstalled the old version.

Anyway a portable mode in the installer (like foobar2000 does it) would be useful especially when trying out a beta release. The usb installer is not much use in this case. So I guess this is a feature request.
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

than why did you post in the TC 8.0 BUGS-SECTION at all???....
Hoecker sie sind raus!
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Hello, avada.

The way to perform a portable installation of Total Commander is absolutely the same in versions T.C. 7.56a, T.C. 8.0 beta1 (32-bit) and T.C. 8.0 beta1 (64-bit). I.e. if you know how to create a portable installation of T.C. 7.56a, then you know how to do the same for the new beta versions.

Cheers,
Karl
Last edited by karlchen on 2011-09-17, 14:41 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
avada

Post by *avada »

Sir_SiLvA wrote:than why did you post in the TC 8.0 BUGS-SECTION at all???....
Kind missed the "bug reports" part. :)
avada

Post by *avada »

karlchen wrote:Hello, avada.

The way to perform a portable installation of Total Commander is absolutely the same in versions T.C. 7.56a, T.C. 8.0 beta1 (32-bit) and T.C. 8.0 beta1 (64-bit). I.e. if you know how to create a portable installation of T.C. 7.56a, then you know how to do the same for the new beta versions.

Cheers,
Karl
I only know of the tc2usb tool. Which doesn't help if you want to try a beta or any different version.
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Hello, avada.

Though about updating an already portable installation to a newer versions, the steps are identical for creating a portable installation:
  1. Create the programme folder for your portable T.C. installation, e.g. J:\Utils\TC80beta
  2. Follow the steps explained here: manually installing portable T.C.
  3. As this is a new portable installation, create a new wincmd.ini file in the TC80beta programme folder which holds the following entry in the section [Configuration]: UseIniInProgramDir=7
    You may e.g. do so by copying the wincmd.ini of your current T.C. 7.56a installation and adding this entry to the section [Configuration].
HTH,
Karl
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Creating a portable version (e.g. via tc2usb.exe) isn't supported yet. Due to the many bugs, this version should not be used yet for productive work. I will update tc2usb at a later time.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
downtime

Post by *downtime »

I tried installing TC 8 64-bit and setting it so that it keeps its config in the app folder in hopes that it wouldn't effect the already installed 32 bit version.
This is fairly easy to do if you keep the config in the Application data folder (%APPDATA%) by using the fact that Windows handles x64 apps different from x86 apps.

The steps are:

1) Install TC 8 in a new application folder and choose the option to store settings in the Application data folder. I always install TC 7 in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Total Commander" so for TC 8 "C:\Program Files\Total Commander" seemed an obvious choice. During installation TC 8 puts an extra shortcut to TC in the Start Menu, named "Total Commander 64 bit".

2) Copy the files in "%APPDATA%\Ghisler" to a new folder, for instance "%APPDATA%\Ghisler64".

3) TC uses the registry to find it's configuration file. TC 7, being a 32-bit app, stores those values in "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Ghisler\Total Commander". 64-bit TC 8 will store them in "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Ghisler\Total Commander". So change the values in "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Ghisler\Total Commander" to point TC 8 to the files in "%APPDATA%\Ghisler64".

Now when you start TC 8 you can change it's settings without affecting the original TC 7 installation.
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

downtime wrote:This is fairly easy to do if you keep the config in the Application data folder (%APPDATA%) by using the fact that Windows handles x64 apps different from x86 apps.
1st. Welcome on Board

2nd. Howabout READING an orginal Post before answering to it?
Using the AppData Folder is CONTRAPRODUCTIVE if you want
- like the op does - make a portable TC Beta Version...
Hoecker sie sind raus!
downtime

Post by *downtime »

Sir_SiLvA wrote:1st. Welcome on Board
Thank you.
2nd. Howabout READING an orginal Post before answering to it?
Using the AppData Folder is CONTRAPRODUCTIVE if you want
- like the op does - make a portable TC Beta Version...
I read the post. He wanted to install TC 7 and TC 8 side-by-side, using separate settings files, and saw a portable installer as a way to do that. I don't see anywhere he really wanted a portable installation.
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

As avada cinfirmed himself that he posted in the T.C 8 bug reports sub-forum by accident, could this thread be moved to the English section perhaps?

I fail to see the T.C. 8 bug. If anything it is tc2usb.exe which is too old to handle a T.C. 8 installation correctly perhaps.

Karl
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I will move it to the suggestions forum (suggestion to support 64-bit portable installation).
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
avada

Post by *avada »

karlchen wrote:As avada cinfirmed himself that he posted in the T.C 8 bug reports sub-forum by accident, could this thread be moved to the English section perhaps?

I fail to see the T.C. 8 bug. If anything it is tc2usb.exe which is too old to handle a T.C. 8 installation correctly perhaps.

Karl
I'd actually like to request/suggest besides making a portable mode in the installer merging the tc2usb functionality also. It would make life easier.
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Hello, avada.
I'd actually like to request/suggest besides making a portable mode in the installer merging the tc2usb functionality also. It would make life easier.
I am pretty sure this has been suggested only a short time ago by someone else. And, yes, I agree, including tc2usb in the normal Total Commander installer would be a convenient improvement.

Cheers,
Karl
Balderstrom
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Balderstrom »

It could be a very small change to the installer:
1) Do not put info into the Registry,
2) Default INI to Program Installation Folder.
Slight Improvement, which I mentioned in another thread:
3) Allow the wincmd.ini to redirect itself.
e.g.
wincmd.ini (example)

Code: Select all

[wincmd.ini]
config=..\Data\Ghisler\wincmd\wincmd.ini
*BLINK* TC9 Added WM_COPYDATA and WM_USER queries for scripting.