FTP, file is impossible pull from FTP to desktop

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

jirka

FTP, file is impossible pull from FTP to desktop

Post by *jirka »

If open FTP connection, select file for copy is impossible pull this file to desktop.
Is possible help me.

Thank You
Clo

Virtual bad place…

Post by *Clo »

2jirka

:) Hello !

• “Desktop” is a virtual folder, some operations are not possible from¦to it.

- Anyway - IMHO - this is not a good place to store stuff…

:mrgreen: Kind regards,
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sheepdog »

If you use Windows XP you may create a button (or entry in the directory hotlist)

Code: Select all

cd %homedrive%%homepath%\desktop
what will open the physical users desktop folder. Thus you can do any operation supportet by TC including copy, pack ...

sheepdog
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Douglas Adams
JohnFredC
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JohnFredC »

Sorry to be so slow to understand here, but if the user can map to his own desktop folder manually, surely TC could also, automatically?
Licensed, Mouse-Centric, moving (slowly) toward Touch-centric
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Hi, JohnFredC.

What Windows Explorer displays as Desktop is actually the sum of the folders

+ %AllUsersProfile%\Desktop plus
+ %UserProfile%\Desktop (identical to sheepdog's expression)

So Windows Desktop is not a unique folder, but a virtual folder, built-up by combining two physical folders.

Unlike Explorer T.C. refuses / is not able to perform all file functions if the target is the Windows Desktop.

Therefore sheepdog suggested to workaround it by specifying a unique desktop folder which is guaranteed to be writable. And this is the current user's own desktop folder.
(%HOMEDRIVE%HOMEPATH%\Desktop = %UserProfile%\Desktop)
So far T.C. does not resolve the ambiguity of "Desktop" this way automatically.

I guess it might be implemented, yet, I am sure Christian has given a reason somewhere somewhen why it is not done.

The unresolved issue remains:
Will once upon a time in a faraway future T.C. be able to work with virtual Windows folders just like Explorer does?

Cheers,
Karl
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Code:
cd %homedrive%%homepath%\desktop
You could also use:

cd %$DESKTOP%
it wil work regardless of what language your Windows has.

To access the common (All Users) part of the Desktop use:

cd %$COMMON_DESKTOPDIRECTORY%
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Hi, Petermad.

Excellent! :D
By now T.C. has got 2 internal variables to address the two folders.

This tells you sheepdog and me are oldies who have been using their Desktop workaround since the old days when T.C. had not got internal variables for this purpose, yet. :wink:

Karl
JohnFredC
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JohnFredC »

I think internal issues of implementation that are essentially invisible to the user frequently too much effect TC functionality.

If a user tries to use a TC Desktop file panel to place a file or folder on his desktop, then he expects to see that file or folder on his desktop after the action completes. Therefore, default to the user's Desktop folder. What's hard about that?

If internally the Desktop is two folders for each user (which of course it is, as is the Start Menu, etc.), then a simple inquiry dialog to make the file or folder "Visible to All Users?" and then act internally (by choosing either the All User's desktop folder or the User's desktop folder according to the user's answer) would suffice. Or perhaps a setting in the INI for the user to toggle.

To say that the Desktop is virtual (true) and therefore unusable as a copy/move target (false) in order to justify an incomplete implementation schema is simply silly.

Every reasonable programming issue has a workaround and not all of those workarounds require rocket science.
Licensed, Mouse-Centric, moving (slowly) toward Touch-centric
SanskritFritz
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *SanskritFritz »

I personally do not want TC to be bloated with functions as such discussed here. TC is a file manager. Explorer is a graphic shell, with all its shortcomings. Two different worlds. I want to see exactly what files are in a folder, and not have a virtual list instead. If we start in that direction, the next wish will be to show the Recycle Bin like in Explorer, or even worse, the Temporary Internet Files. Argh. TC should not copy the behaviour of Explorer, we already have an Explorer. Explorer will also have some new functions in Wista, should Christian reinvent the wheel and mimic the new functinalities of Explorer? I seriously think, Explorer is as slow as it is because of these sophisticated functions. Lets have a fast TC that is usable.
I switched to Linux, bye and thanks for all the fish!
roentgen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *roentgen »

I personally do not want TC to be bloated with functions as such discussed here.
All this is inevitable as long a command as cm_OpenDesktop exists and its only purpose is for visual pleasure :P, not functionality.

While I don't think that adding a little more functionality to this cm_OpenDesktop view would be too difficult, I do think that there are many more features that need more attention.

And back to topic: who knows what jirka really meant. Maybe this is not the issue at all for him. His message it's somehow pretty ambiguous.
TC for Linux please!
Sam_Zen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sam_Zen »

I support SanskritFritz
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Well, the original question is - why can one only drag and drop local (not FTP) files from TC to Desktop?

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.