Ctrl-Shift+Letter executes Ctrl+Letter Shortcut

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

brahman

Ctrl-Shift+Letter executes Ctrl+Letter Shortcut

Post by *brahman »

Hi,

When I press Ctrl-Shift+Letter (unassigned in TC) it executes the assigned Ctrl+Letter action.

Regards,

Brahman
fenix_productions
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *fenix_productions »

2brahman
Does it happen for all shortcuts or only some of them?

I.e. I have Ctrl+E assigned to custom columns menu and it is not triggered. Maybe some of these are hardcoded by default?
"When we created the poke, we thought it would be cool to have a feature without any specific purpose." Facebook...

brahman

Post by *brahman »

2fenix:
Fenix, you are also active at DC and probably use FARR.

Could you assign some Ctrl-Shift hotkeys in FARR to some plugins and then try them also in TC (unassigned in TC)?

My results are difficult to reproduce with constant results. But I suspect now - after further testing - that these two programs somehow interfere with each other on the hotkey selection front.

So the answer is: No, sporadically and not consistent on all hotkeys.

Regards,

Brahman
Last edited by brahman on 2009-07-03, 09:27 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
brahman

Post by *brahman »

Hmm ...

something is really strange here:

Yesterday and also today after a system restart and working for half an hour I switched back to TC, hit enter to open the selected folder and it did not happen but instead CrapCleaner (which was nowwhere to be seen on the screen and no hotkeys systemwide nor in TC are assigned to it) started up.

Again difficult to reproduce.

But when I checked a little further I noticed that my alias to CC was in the command line history on first place (but definitely not active in the command line).

I am not filing a separate bug, because I believe the hotkey problem and this problem - possibly even my suspicion that FARR and TC interfere - are related.

Regards,

Brahman
fenix_productions
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *fenix_productions »

2brahman
I haven't been using FARR for a long time but AFAIK it registers its hotkeys globally (using keyboard hook), which means: they are available everywhere, not only in TC. Add to it multiple shortcuts handled by TC itself and you've got pretty nasty mix which is hard to avoid.

The problem is not in TC but in the ways how FARR can work. Basically it has two possible options to do on key press:
1. get shortcut and do whatever user configured earlier;
2. get shortcut, do what is configured and send keys back to focused application.

Only 1st case should describe how FARR works but there is the risk that #2 comes in way. The only thing to do is to check is it true: test TC without FARR in background and test any other application with FARR.

If FARR is the culprit, DC support comes in mind.
"When we created the poke, we thought it would be cool to have a feature without any specific purpose." Facebook...

ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

When I press Ctrl-Shift+Letter (unassigned in TC) it executes the assigned Ctrl+Letter action.
Indeed for several commands TC ignores the state of some modifier keys like Shift. I will not change this because many people may be using these additional hotkeys, e.g. because they have reassigned Ctrl+Letter to something else.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
brahman

Post by *brahman »

ghisler(Author) wrote: Indeed for several commands TC ignores the state of some modifier keys like Shift. I will not change this because many people may be using these additional hotkeys, e.g. because they have reassigned Ctrl+Letter to something else.
OK, thank you for clarifying that.

BUT - do you have any idea why the behaviour is somehow erratic: meaning sometimes the same hotkey sequence is ignored while sometimes the Ctrl-Shift+Letter sequence is executed as Ctrl-Letter (I mean on the same letter combination, like f.e. Ctrl-Shift-E).

And would there be an explanation for the enter key which should open the folder suddenly - though intermittently, but nevertheless twice within 24 hrs and between reboots - opens another program (please see my posting above)?

Regards,

Brahman
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

brahman wrote:But when I checked a little further I noticed that my alias to CC was in the command line history on first place (but definitely not active in the command line).
Sometimes I forgot about command line and press Enter too. :)
If CC command was on the first place after pressing Enter, so it may be in command line when Enter had pressed. So, the question is how you added CC to command line. :?: