Back Button does't dissappear always in Menu View

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

HBB

Back Button does't dissappear always in Menu View

Post by *HBB »

Dear Christian,

I want to inform you about a behaviour of TC.

I have two buttons, each of them refers to a subbar :
Button 1 :
Command : %COMMANDER_PATH%\..\Common\Bars\TCTools.bar

Button 2 :
Command : %COMMANDER_PATH%\..\Common\Bars\FileSystem.bar
There are back buttons in each sub bar :
Back button in Subbar "TCTools.bar" :
Command : %COMMANDER_INI%\..\Bars\Main.bar

Back button in Subbar "FileSystem.bar" :
Command : %COMMANDER_PATH%\..\Common\Bars\Main.bar
Even If "%COMMANDER_INI%\..\Bars\Main.bar" is same as "%COMMANDER_PATH%\..\Common\Bars\Main.bar", Back button does not dissappear always!

Please Download the swf file in order to see the behaviour. Attention to "Back" Buttons

Note that :
- wincmd.ini is in "P:\Programs\Total Commander\Common"
- TotalCmd.exe is in "P:\Programs\Total Commander\Win32"
- Windows XP Pro SP3 and TC7.50a

Best Wishes
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Hello, HBB.

I am not quite sure which issue you are reporting. :oops:
Is the issue that
+ in your subbars the back button to Main.bar sometimes disappears?
+ in your subbars the back button to Main.bar is sometimes not displayed?
I.e. do you expect it to be always displayed or do you expect it to be always absent?

Telling from the title you expect the back button to Main.bar not to be displayed in menu view. Why? The buttons exists.

Why do you refer to the same bar-file, Main.bar, once using %COMMANDER_PATH%\..\Common\Bars\Main.bar (which is consistent with the other path specifications) and once using %COMMANDER_INI%\..\Bars\Main.bar (which makes it unnecessarily hard to verify you really are referencing the same Main.bar file)

I agree that T.C. should be consistent in menu view, too: either display the back button always or never. Yet, how should T.C. tell the back button is a back button to the main bar really? And where in the help file is it suggested that T.C. can do so? (Maybe I just missed the relevant sentence.)

Side issue

Sorry to say, but your flash file did not prove too helpful to me. :oops: I am not quite sure whether the root cause is my Flash player (10.0.32.18 ), some misconfiguration on this particular machine or a problem caused by the internal file format of your flash file BackButton.swf.

Anyway, the issue which I experienced when viewing it were:
+ poor screen resolution of the movie
+ as a consequence it was hard to really see the details
+ the movie made my browser(s) use an enourmous amount of RAM (300 MB, and the file has got only 2 MB)

As I said before, maybe the cause is on my side. In this case, you may simply ignore this complaint about my flash movie trouble.

<Added>

Explanation on my Side Issue:

Other users who use a weak machine and a low screen resolution may experience similar effects.
The first machine where I watched the flash file was my old notebook which has got a 14 inch screen only. Therefore the screen resolution has been set to 1024 x 768 pixels. If you watch the movie at 1024x768, you will not be able to recognize the details too well. :(
This morning I watched the same flash file at 1280x768 pixels, and the details could be recognized clearly. :)

About the memory usage:

The flash movie is a bit greedy to put it mildly. It runs in an endless loop. So far so good. After it had been watched once, it had consumed about 300 MB. After it had been watched twice, it had consumed about 600 MB. Watching it once more would not increase memory consumption.

</Added>

Kind regards,
Karl
Last edited by karlchen on 2009-10-13, 09:08 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Clo

“Nice game (hunting) ?”

Post by *Clo »

:arrow: karlchen

:) Hello Karl !
I am not quite sure which issue you are reporting. :oops:
• Same feeling here prior, but then I checked the menus with regard to my three bars working as a circular call,
I would not bet my boots that HHB has flushed out a nice big game, but a game anyway … :P

EDIT : That I tested isn't quite relevant regarding the current issue, so I open another thread to show a bug in the same area.

:mrgreen: VG
Claude
Clo
Last edited by Clo on 2009-10-13, 20:31 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2HBB
The back button only dissapears when it is pointing to the current bar.

That doesn't seem to be the case always for you:

If your current bar is %COMMANDER_INI%\..\Bars\Main.bar and you click the back button in FileSystem.bar then current bar becomes %COMMANDER_PATH%\..\Common\Bars\Main.bar - but the back button in TCTools.bar points at %COMMANDER_INI%\..\Bars\Main.bar which is no longer the current bar.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Hello, petermad.

I agree that the source of trouble may be that the file Main.bar is referenced in different ways, i.e. using different T.C. environment variables:
+ %COMMANDER_PATH%\..\Common\Bars\Main.bar and
+ %COMMANDER_INI%\..\Bars\Main.bar

T.C. will simply fail to realize that both path specifications always point to the same file, the currently used Main.bar file.

Yet, I guess I will have to play a bit with these back buttons, because there are no back buttons inside my sub-bars, because they are used as popup menus only, and therefore a back button is not really needed as long as I do not use the shift key to open the sub-bars.

Kind regards,
Karl
HBB

Post by *HBB »

Thanks to Karl :
the source of trouble may be that the file Main.bar is referenced in different ways, i.e. using different T.C. environment variables:
+ %COMMANDER_PATH%\..\Common\Bars\Main.bar and
+ %COMMANDER_INI%\..\Bars\Main.bar
That is what I mean
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Yes, TC doesn't resolve environment variables in this case, for speed reasons. Please use the same in both cases if you mean the same file.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Hello, HBB.

Tested it and can confirm that following Christian's advice is a good idea. - No-one would have expected anything else. :wink:

Split my single TC_Karl.bar file (located in the folder %COMMANDER_PATH%) into
+ TC7_Main.bar
+ ==> TC7_Browsers.bar
+ ==> TC7_Editors.bar

Each of the two subbar files, TC7_Browsers.bar and TC7_Editors.bar, hold a "back button" which points to the TC7_Main.bar file.
The subbars are launched as menus.
T.C. consistently hides the "back button" in each subbar as long as it is displayed in menu view.
The "back buttons" are displayed and fully functional provided the subbars are launched as buttonbars.

Definition of the Back Button:
buttonX=%COMMANDER_PATH%\WCMICONS.DLL,18
cmdX=%COMMANDER_PATH%\TC7_Main.bar
pathX=%COMMANDER_PATH%\
iconicX=0
menuX=Main Buttonbar
Definition of Button Bar in wincmd.ini
Buttonbar=%COMMANDER_PATH%\TC7_Main.bar
Total Commander 7.50a
Windows Vista Home Premium, 32bit

Kind regards,
Karl
HBB

Post by *HBB »

Karl,

Thanks for explanations. I have already used TC without being effected by this minor problem.

My post was only for information.

Regards