Access violation with pop3-plugin

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Access violation with pop3-plugin

Post by *Sheepdog »

Hi folks.

I've got a lot of mail accounts - more than 30. Lately I wanted to check for a particular mail to one of these accounts. So I switched into the mailbox and nearly imedately out again. I used only the keyboard. [Enter] ,[Enter] ,[down],[Enter] . Next mailbox in - and out. After a few mailboxes ( five or six) I got an Access violation at address 77E5653F with different read of address xxxxx. When I decide to continue execution whether TC freezes completely (when he was currently downloading messages from the Mailbox) or I cannot switch out of the mailbox but use TC for all other purposes (switch to the other pane, open a new Tab etc.).
When I decide to terminate execution I got the message "The exception 'unknown softwareerror' (0x0eedfade) has occured in the Application at the point 0x77e4d756" (it's only the translation from german).
Since the access violation does not begin with 04 it's probably no fault of TC but the plugin.

I'm using XP SP1.

Anybody out there to confirm this?

sheepdog
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Douglas Adams
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

André Martin

Post by *André Martin »

2Sheepdog
Yes, this is a known bug which occurs when you open/access more than ten mailboxes. The plugin makes use of a little cache which unfortunately "overflows" after ten entries :-(
The bug will be fixed in the next version, of course.
Unfortunatily I'm still very busy :-( that's why I haven't found time to finish up the new release.
But I'm still working on it... :-)
A workaround for now: Create a button on the buttonbar... which is associated with the "Unload plugins" function. Unload the plugin after you've checked ten mailboxes and continue where you stopped...
Browse the web with the HTTP SmartBrowserPlugin
Check your mails with the POP3/SMTP EmailPlugin!
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sheepdog »

Oh it's no problem. Since I know by now how this error comes to appear it should be easy to prevent it ( even without cm_UnloadPlugins).

I will waiting patiently for the next version for I'm still happy to have this great plugin that allows me to check my mailboxes from everywhere so easily.

sheepdog
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Douglas Adams