Synchronize dirs annoyance

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

JackFoo

Synchronize dirs annoyance

Post by *JackFoo »

I've been using the Sync dir feature a bit lately and there is one thing that absolutely annoys me.

When you select specific extensions to sync, the extensions you've chosen become first in the drop down (which is good) however, next time that you open the Sync tool the box shows *.* even if it's at the bottom of the box so I have to manually reselect it.

IMO the expected behavior is that the last selection you've used should be the one selected by default or (not the best option) the list should be ordered by name with the first item being selected.

Obviously the first option is preferred.

Cheers.
B@rndH

Post by *B@rndH »

Support! ++

To affirm this unfavourable behaviour I would like to point out that in contrast to the "forgetting" of the file-/extension-filters the selection of comparing in subdirs, by content et al. is remembered and reset.

Although I can't find the thread I remember to have asked Mr. Ghisler to this aspect and he answered (I hope I remember correctly) that he found it to hazardous to filter by file/extension filters by default since if you have a filter like *.exe and you check a directory of mp3-files you will receive an empty list missing "new" files. :shock:
Actually I still find that you (as a user of any file commander) do have a responsibility to do your work with a certain amount of keen-eyedness. And if you do not recheck your subdir-checkbox you will miss data in the subdirs ...

This is obviously a matter of opinion and all we can do is hope that a constant nagging will open up Mr. Ghisler's heart to give us another checkbox to "remember last file-selection" or another helpful feature to that regard. As a matter of fact I still have a couple of things on my wishlist for the sync-tool ....
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

TC 7 will allow to save/restore sync settings (including paths, checked options, and (optionally) also display options.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
B@rndH

Post by *B@rndH »

2Christian

Thank you :!: :!: :D :D

I'm sure that many users will be glad to hear that!