TC won't show XentientThumbs

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

JohnFredC
Power Member
Power Member

TC won't show XentientThumbs

Post by *JohnFredC »

I use a cool system extension called Xentient Thumbs http://xentient.com/ that automatically creates icon versions of my bitmap files and displays them as the icons for bitmap files in Explorer. Like the old Win3.1 function show bitmaps as icons.

The Xentient thumbs display properly Explorer and in several other non-MS filers I use.

But not in TC!

Is there a setting I may have inadvertently changed that has caused them not to appear?
Licensed, Mouse-Centric, moving (slowly) toward Touch-centric
HolgerK
Power Member
Power Member

Re: TC won't show XentientThumbs

Post by *HolgerK »

JohnFredC wrote: Is there a setting I may have inadvertently changed that has caused them not to appear?
Really nice tool. Works fine on my computer (XPproSP2 & TC 6.54a).

Try to activate the following radio button:

Configuration->Options->Display->Show symbols left to the filename->All associated +EXE/LNK(slow, 32-Bit only)

Otherwise TC shows only standard icons.

Kind regards
Holger
van Dusen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *van Dusen »

2JohnFredC

User Icu has described in this german posting, why TC do not shows Xentient thumbs and how you can get it work:
http://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?p=66714#66714

Poor translation (summary):

There should be no user defined assignment for the relevant file types. These assignments are created by using "Open with..." command or by applications, which assigns file types user specific.

Delete all appropriate subordinary keys from
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts
".jpg" for instance, if you like Xentient to show thumbs for JPEGs. Alternatively, it is enough to delete the "Progid" entries.
chunwaihome

Post by *chunwaihome »

This software like slowing me down show the files
JohnFredC
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JohnFredC »

2HolgerK
Try to activate the following radio button:

Configuration->Options->Display->Show symbols left to the filename->All associated +EXE/LNK(slow, 32-Bit only)
Thanks, but that option is already set!

2van Dusen
[face=courier]HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts[/face] ".jpg" for instance, if you like Xentient to show thumbs for JPEGs. Alternatively, it is enough to delete the "Progid" entries.
Hmmm. Well, maybe I'll do that. But it certainly would generate a maintenance issue as new software installations try to grab the standard graphics extensions.

Other tools don't require registry editing to cooporate with Xentient... Perhaps I'll just use them when I need the Xentient functionality.
Licensed, Mouse-Centric, moving (slowly) toward Touch-centric
gbo

Post by *gbo »

van Dusen wrote:2JohnFredC

User Icu has described in this german posting, why TC do not shows Xentient thumbs and how you can get it work:
http://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?p=66714#66714

Poor translation (summary):

There should be no user defined assignment for the relevant file types. These assignments are created by using "Open with..." command or by applications, which assigns file types user specific.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts
".jpg" for instance, if you like Xentient to show thumbs for JPEGs. Alternatively, it is enough to delete the "Progid" entries.
THANK YOU (Van Dusen for the translation and Icfu for the solution, Icfu you are the best :) ), I was never able to make it works and this workaround solve the problem.
You can see a discussion about this problem (that was unsolved until now) here.

I should start looking at the german forum unfortunately my german knowledges are very poor :(
Gil
Licence #17346

90% of coding is debugging. The other 10% is writing bugs.
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

FYI:
You can achieve the same goal when using the TC internal File-Associate-dialog and reassign JPG or whatever extension you need to your default viewer app. This is because the above mentioned user-defined ProgID-entries are wiped out by TC when using that dialog.

In a multi-user environment this behaviour sucks of course because you have to reuse the Open-With function after each reassociation.

Icfu
This account is for sale