Reload thumbnails doesn't work with newly rotated pictures

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

gbo

Reload thumbnails doesn't work with newly rotated pictures

Post by *gbo »

Hi,

After rotating images with IrfanView or XnView I want to regenerate thumbnails in TC. So I select the wanted images and choose the command "Reload thumbnails" but nothing happens -> thumbnails are not regenerated.

Has someone else encountered the same problem ?
How can I have the right thumbnails without having to delete the entire thumbnails database?

TIA

PS Thumbnails reload works fine with images that have been cropped so it seems to be a problem only with thumbnails that are already in the database and that require to be reloaded after rotation
Gil
Licence #17346

90% of coding is debugging. The other 10% is writing bugs.
SanskritFritz
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *SanskritFritz »

The cause might be that the lossless rotating does not change the file date by default. Change the date to a newer one and try again reloading the thumbnail.
Another cause might be, that many digital cameras put a thumbnail into the jpg and xnview uses them when generating the thumbnails.
I switched to Linux, bye and thanks for all the fish!
gbo

Post by *gbo »

Thanks SanskritFritz,

It looks like your second suggestions was the correct one, to solve this problem I change in thumbnails option the following parameters

Uncheck Get from &Irfan-/Xnview
and instead check Get from &Lister plugins

and by magic thumbnails was regenerated correctly so I suppose it was using the thumbnail embedded into the Jpeg.

BTW do you know a way to check if a jpeg images has a thumbnail embedded and a way to remove it ?

Thanks

Have a nice day
Gil
Licence #17346

SanskritFritz
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *SanskritFritz »

BTW do you know a way to check if a jpeg images has a thumbnail embedded and a way to remove it ?
I guess some exif analysers can tell it, but i never tried any of them.
SanskritFritz
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *SanskritFritz »

I strongly recommend using Picasa2 from Google, as it does not alter the files you manipulate, but only remembers the settings. It is fast and good.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

gbo,
I use XnView to losslessly rotate thumbs according to their EXIF info. I also use XnView to show thumbs in TC. Older versions of XnView, IIRC, only rotated the picture, not the embedded thumbnail. So this might be the first reason of your problem.

You should also check what options you have regarding thumbnail extraction in XnView - especially if Use Embedded thumbnail is enabled.

Also, try what happens if you disable Xn's and TC's databases.

And last, I found that sometimes it is necessary to hit "Reload" twice to reload the rotated thumbnails. I don't know why.

HTH
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
gbo

Post by *gbo »

@Hacker
Hacker wrote: You should also check what options you have regarding thumbnail extraction in XnView - especially if Use Embedded thumbnail is enabled.
OK, if I uncheck 'Use Embedded thumbnail' in XnView->Tools->Options it solves the problem so this way I can use again the option 'Get from Irfan-/Xnview' in TC Thumbnail option (cf this post)
Hacker wrote: And last, I found that sometimes it is necessary to hit "Reload" twice to reload the rotated thumbnails. I don't know why.
Perhaps you have changed an option in XnView and hasn't killed the XnView process?
In my case it was necessary to kill the XnView process before the thumbnails will be correctly regenerated. I used Process Explorer for this task, afterthat it was working like a charm.
Hacker wrote: I use XnView to losslessly rotate thumbs according to their EXIF info. I also use XnView to show thumbs in TC.
Is there a way to automate this process from TC? Eg select all the wanted picture, click a button and everything will be losslessly rotated? it will be great! Or should I use this AHK script from SanskritFritz?

Thanks

@SanskritFritz

I tried Picasa2 and indeed it looks fine although I'm always a bit concern about privacy with google free software, when I install it my firewall has detected a connection to google without any warning and I noticed that it happens often with google stuff. But except from that it has a very nice interface.
Gil
Licence #17346

Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

gbo,
if I uncheck 'Use Embedded thumbnail' in XnView->Tools->Options it solves the problem
That's strange, as it works fine for me using that option.
How do you rotate the images? I select them in XnView, right-click, JPEG Lossless transformations, Dialog..., EXIF and all three checkboxes checked, Go.
In my case it was necessary to kill the XnView process before the thumbnails will be correctly regenerated.
There is a bug with TC not closing XnView, see please http://ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=7748
Is there a way to automate this process from TC? Eg select all the wanted picture, click a button and everything will be losslessly rotated? it will be great!
It indeed would, but I don't think it is possible with XnView / Nconvert. I will ask over at the XnView forum, though.

HTH
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
gbo

Post by *gbo »

Is there a way to automate this process from TC? Eg select all the wanted picture, click a button and everything will be losslessly rotated? it will be great!
It indeed would, but I don't think it is possible with XnView / Nconvert. I will ask over at the XnView forum, though.
I answer my own question in case this could be useful for other users, I found a way to losslessly rotated pictures in one operation - useful for digital pictures that you want to see on your PC without having to lead your head to one side ;-) and that you also want to be able to print at high resolution at a later stage. This is how it can be achieved I am sure there is easiest way but this one works fine for me.

Prerequisites :
- jpegtran
- lst2run

1) Create a button with those parameters - ROTATE LEFT
Command : C:\Program Files\Totalcmd\apps\lst2run\lst2run.exe
Parameters : -s "-rotate 270 \"#p\#f.#e\" \"#p\#f.#e\" " -e "C:\Program Files\Jpegtran\jpegtran.exe" -l %L

2) Create a button with those parameters - ROTATE RIGHT
Command : C:\Program Files\Totalcmd\apps\lst2run\lst2run.exe
Parameters : -s "-rotate 90 \"#p\#f.#e\" \"#p\#f.#e\" " -e "C:\Program Files\Jpegtran\jpegtran.exe" -l %L

How to use :
Select all pictures you want to losslessly rotated and click the suited button

HTH
Gil
Licence #17346

Sombra
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sombra »

Hello Gbo,

Good idea. Normally I used jpegtran but without lst2run. Applying one by one to the pictures :? .
Now, I have done a toolbar for TC with lossless transformation functions for jpg files (it is based in your idea :wink: ). It can be downloaded from Here, It have tooltips in English and Spanish.

P.S. Do you know jhead? A great commandline tool too. (for display and manipulate data contained in the Exif header)

Regards.
I can read English, but... I write like Tarzan. (sorry)
gbo

Post by *gbo »

Sombra wrote:Hello Gbo,

Good idea. Normally I used jpegtran but without lst2run. Applying one by one to the pictures :? .
Now, I have done a toolbar for TC with lossless transformation functions for jpg files (it is based in your idea :wink: ). It can be downloaded from Here, It have tooltips in English and Spanish.
Hi Sombra,

Nice toolbar I added it to my TC 8)
Sombra wrote: P.S. Do you know jhead? A great commandline tool too. (for display and manipulate data contained in the Exif header)
Yes I do but unfortunately my camera has not an orientation sensor (that would makes right orientation of all digital images simply a press of a button). :(

Have a nice week-end
Gil
Licence #17346

tbeu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tbeu »

2Sombra
Very nice ready-to-use toolbar. I already installed and tested it.

But what do you mean by
Also you can copy the following code and paste it in a blank place of the toolbar.
Which blank place? Can you please show me a screenshot?

One more question: Is there a way to not update the file timestamp after rotation?

Thanks,
tbeu
TC plugins: Autodesk 3ds Max / Inventor / Revit Preview, FileInDir, ImageMetaData (JPG Comment/EXIF/IPTC/XMP), MATLAB MAT-file Viewer, Mover, SetFolderDate, Solid Edge Preview, Zip2Zero and more
Sombra
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sombra »

Have a nice week-end
thx :)

Hello tbu,
But what do you mean by ...
It is for install the button for access to the toolbar.
Method 1: Create manually a link to the new bar.
Method 2: Copy

Code: Select all

TOTALCMD#BAR#DATA
%COMMANDER_PATH%\LTJpeg\ltjpg_ENG.bar

%COMMANDER_PATH%\LTJpeg\ltjpg.icl
LTJpeg: Lossless Transformation of JPEG files

Right Click in default toolbar, and choose paste.
You are right, is not necessary in a blank place of toolbar, it can be in anyone place of the toolbar, even on an existing button. I will fix it in the readme.txt Thx
One more question: Is there a way to not update the file timestamp after rotation?
No with jpegtran.ext. But you can try Jhead with the parameter -ft
Or create a new button with the next code:

Code: Select all

Command: %COMMANDER_PATH%\LTJpeg\lst2run.exe
Parameters: -s "-ft \"#p\#f.#e\" \"#p\#f.#e\" " -e "jhead.exe" -l %L
Start path: %COMMANDER_PATH%\LTJpeg\
With this last code can be changed all selects files at the same time.
It could be optimized doing a batch file, for aply rotations a chanche to original date at same time.

Regards.
I can read English, but... I write like Tarzan. (sorry)
=m4rc=

Post by *=m4rc= »

Nice Toolbar Sombra 8)
Thanx for sharing ;)