ZIP fails in Windows 7 64-bit

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

btreloar

ZIP fails in Windows 7 64-bit

Post by *btreloar »

I'm running version 7.540a with packing set to use the internal zipper. When trying to zip up several files to a zip file in the same folder (within the Program Files (x86) folder, I get a zip error saying the disk may be full. But this is a new PC with >500GB free.

I seem to be able to zip these files to another folder. Is this normal?
Bill Treloar
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Yes, it is normal.

In Vista/7 your applications have user privileges and only elevated applications (those that was run using Run As Admin) have admin privileges. And by default user have no write permission to Program Files and Windows folders.

BTW, I can't think out where in Program Files user may need to create archive.

If you want to create such archive very much and you very sure that there can't be another way, you may start TOTALCMD with admin rights (or add write permission for particular folders), but please keep in mind that it is bad practice (the only allowed case if you have old program that needs to save its INI file or temp files in its folder - in this case better way is to allow writing only for that file/subfolder). Also there is worst way - to disable UAC at all and use your new Windows 7 in XP style, but I don't recommend to do this.

UAC (User Account Control) learns us that we don't need write permission to programs folders, only to data folders (e.g. your profile/desktop/documents folders etc.) - this is very helpful against viruses that install itself into system folders and/or registry entries because all applications that started from elevated process are elevated automatically and most apps that started from process with user privileges have user privileges (if they was started w/o elevation). Also, for every elevation OS will ask you, so you will have chance to preserve elevation of suspicious process (OS will ask only if parent process is not elevated). So, virus started by mistake won't have chance to produce much harm.
AlexF

Re: ZIP fails in Windows 7 64-bit

Post by *AlexF »

btreloar wrote:I seem to be able to zip these files to another folder. Is this normal?
As previous post says it's a result of UAC. Or, rather, lack of total integration between Total Commander and zip that prevents it in dealing with UAC as a user would expect. Other actions, like copy, does deal better with UAC.

For sure, "Error writing new ZIP file, disk may be full!" is misleading error to show the user who may be logged-in with Administrator priviledges or who knows Administrator password.

[As a personal opinion - as changes in Windows are happening, like priviledges, UAC, virtual drives, libraries, etc, TC is showing it's Windows 98 roots more districtly.]