= Strange problems with Windows 7 =

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

jcm

= Strange problems with Windows 7 =

Post by *jcm »

Hi,

I use this program in its various versions for almost 20 years, and also on my PDA (Windows Mobile) for over 2 years ... essential, gorgeous, and very efficient.

I just premiered a new PC with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. Total Commander is perfect, and also the plugin for my PDA to manage synchronization between PCs and PDAs.

I say that everything is perfect, less an issue that has surprised me much: Total Commander is unable to display some files in Windows 7, although it was activated to see all hidden files. However, Windows Explorer 7 if those files shows that Total Commander is unable to show (?????). These files that I noticed that Total Commander can not show are all by now, in the folder "System32" folder within "Windows". There may be other more files in other folders, but so far is what I found. How could this problem happens with Total Commander?.

Greetings,
JCM
Nokia Lumia 1020 / Windows Phone 8.1 Denim
ASUS F555L / 12GB RAM - 1.5TB DD / Windows 10 Home 64x
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

I'll open one big mystery of 64-bit operating systems from Microsoft. When they released 64-bit OS, they decided to muddle up all the things. Instead of just adding folder like Windows\System64 for 64-bit apps, they made folder System32 for 64-bit apps!!! and made folder SysWow64 for 32-bit apps... But since 32-bit programs expect to see 32-bit apps in System32 folder, they added such thing as redirection - when you open System32 folder from 32-bit app, you see SysWow64 folder instead! (in registry also exist such redirection - just for your knowledge, search Internet for Wow6432Node keyword). Drivers e.g. are located in 64-bit System32 folder so you won't see them from 32-bit app.

So, problem is becasue TC have no 64-bit edition. But Delphi3 have no such VCL:) So, there are some working solutions:
1. Use internal TC command cm_SwitchX64Redirection to turn such redirection off.
2. Use Windows\Sysnative folder - this is a virtual folder pointing to real System32 in TC, when you enter it, you see files from real System32 folder.
3. Make a junction for System32 folder into any place - through junctions redirection doesn't work. E.g. in 64-bit OS I created a folder Windows\System64 pointing to Windows\System32 - and when I enter it, I see real 64-bit files.

But you should search internet and this forum next time before you ask something - this was discussed many times:)
Last edited by MVV on 2010-01-17, 09:03 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
jcm

Post by *jcm »

MVV wrote:I'll open one big mystery of 64-bit operating systems from Microsoft. When they released 64-bit OS, they decided to muddle up all the things. Instead of just adding folder like Windows\System64 for 64-bit apps, they made folder System32 for 64-bit apps!!! and made folder SysWow64 for 32-bit apps... But since 32-bit programs expect to see 32-bit apps in System32 folder, they added such thing as redirection - when you open System32 folder from 32-bit app, you see SysWow64 folder instead! (in registry also exist such redirection - just for your knowledge, search Internet for Wow6432Node keyword). Drivers e.g. are located in 64-bit System32 folder so you won't see them from 32-bit app.

So, problem is becasue TC have no 64-bit edition. But Delphi3 have no such VCL:) So, there are some working solutions:
1. Use internal TC command cm_SwitchX64Redirection to turn such redirection off.
2. Use Windows\Sysnative folder - this is a virtual folder pointing to real System32 in TC, when you enter it, you see files from real System32 folder.
2. Make a junction for System32 folder into any place - through junctions redirection doesn't work. E.g. in 64-bit OS I created a folder Windows\System64 pointing to Windows\System32 - and when I enter it, I see real 64-bit files.

But you should search internet and this forum next time before you ask something - this was discussed many times:)
Hi,

Thank you very much for your explanation, I see 64-bit folder (c: \ Windows \ SysWOW64 \) thanks to what I mentioned. Too bad there is not directly a 64-bit Total Commander ...

Sorry for not having sought this, but I'm Spanish, not fluent in English and is a problem for me. I use the Google translator.

Greetings,
JCM
Nokia Lumia 1020 / Windows Phone 8.1 Denim
ASUS F555L / 12GB RAM - 1.5TB DD / Windows 10 Home 64x