Total Commander and Dropbox badge?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

mrwee

Total Commander and Dropbox badge?

Post by *mrwee »

Hi,

I've used TC for many years, and wouldn't live without it :) . However I've now got an issue which prevents TC and forces me to Explorer instead..

In our company we've started to use Dropbox to share office documents. When opening e.g. an Excel sheet from Explorer, the Dropbox badge appears and provides information on who's viewed it last, if it's open somewhere else etc.

But when opening the Excel sheet from TC, this badge doesn't appear. The result is conflicts if multiple users save the file at the same time.

I've tried using overlay icons in TC, but it didn't help.

Is there a way or ?
SSc

Post by *SSc »

Hi,

strange indeed. I can't confirm the problem here. I'm on Win 10 (x64) and the Dropbox badge is shown when opening Office files from TC (both x64 and x86).

Besides the badge is a Dropbox-own feature that should have nothing to do from where an Office file is opened.

To avoid misunderstandings:
- in both cases (Explorer and TC) you open the file by doublecklicking it directly in its Dropbox folder?
- what office version and OS are you using?

regards,
Stefan
mrwee

Post by *mrwee »

Hi SSc,

I've tried on two different Windows 10 machines (Home + Enterprise), both x64. Running TC 8.52a. Both Office Professional 2013. All English versions.

And yes, I double-click in both situations directly in the Dropbox folder. Only when using Explorer do I get the badge. I've tried to uninstall/install Dropbox, made no difference.
SSc

Post by *SSc »

Then I'm afraid I can't help :? At least I don't think that it's a general TC problem. Apart from OS and office language (mine are german) I have the same environment and here it works.

Just for curiosity: does it make a difference when you open the file via context menu from within TC by chosing
1) "Edit" (which is the same as doublecklicking IMHO)
2) "Open with..." and select the corresponding office app

Maybe your problem is related somehow to the way TC executes programs
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Maybe you are running with higher user rights "As administrator"? Please check the properties of the link by which you start Total Commander.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
SSc

Post by *SSc »

Ah! When I start TC with admin rights, the badge is not shown here, too.
mrwee

Post by *mrwee »

Nailed it. You're right, it's the "administration right" that makes the difference. Great to know the reason!

Assume the only "fix" is to run TC "as normal"?