Someone please make a TC Remote Control plug-in

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

CopyCats

Someone please make a TC Remote Control plug-in

Post by *CopyCats »

If must have wished a thousand times that I could use Total Commander to access files on a remote computer over my internet connection. It would make it much easier to solve other people's computer problems without having to create a VPN or install a full blown remote control application, and allow me to access my own computer when I'm traveling.

Basically, I'd like to be able to exchange files with the remote PC, and simply copy, move and delete files, change attributes, search the remote drives, etc. Some practical additional features could be:

- chat with the Total Commander user at the other side of the connection
- set per-user security settings (IP, user name and password, browse-only mode, full access mode, locally approve each action)
- choose whether local or remote TCOM settings apply (toolbar, tab settings etc).
- reboot the remote PC and automatically launch tcom and establish the connection again.

Hopefully one of you talented plug-in writers feels up to this task, if it is technically possible at all :)
#5050 :: Everyone who believes in telekinesis, raise my hand!
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

I don't think it's technically possible with the current plugin interface.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Athari

Post by *Athari »

I don't think it's technically possible with the current plugin interface.
Why not? Working with files (copying, moving etc.) can be done with one Delphi component I've seen. It makes an FTP server from the computer it is executed on. The good thing is, you don't even need to code much. That program won't be an FS-plugin, though. Somebody runs it and then you can use TC as an FTP browser. Chating and rebooting are easy to implemnt too. As for TCOM and the additional features 2 and 3... er, I don't realy understand what they mean (I don't know what TCOM is, either), but aren't they additional? ;) CopyCats, could you explain them better for a lamer like me? X)
Excuse me for my bad English, my native language is C++
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

TCOM is Total Commander.
Creating an FTP server can be accomplished by installing an FTP server but not by using TC.
Chatting and rebooting wouldn't be feasible to implement in TC, either.

:(

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
krymson

Very cool

Post by *krymson »

That would definitely kick tremendous amounts of booty. Like I can see where Hacker is coming from but being able to do stuff like that or allowing plugins to, would take TC to the next level.
Last edited by krymson on 2004-11-27, 23:34 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Athari

Post by *Athari »

It's just my humble opinion, but a lot of programs can be created as plugins for TC. Just instead of pressing buttons you execute files. It's kind of pholosophy: everything is a file system. :D

2 krymson
Could you explain what "That would definately kick tremendous amounts of booty" means, please? I just want to improve my English.
Excuse me for my bad English, my native language is C++
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Could you explain what "That would definately kick tremendous amounts of booty" means, please? I just want to improve my English.
booty = butt
Whole sentence = That would kick a lot of ass => That would be really great.

HTH
Roman
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I will not add any server functionality to TC itself - many companies would dislike this, and not allow the usage of TC. Plugins may be a solution, but I think that a standalone server is a better solution.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
ctiberg

Post by *ctiberg »

I agree completely with the plugin idea. We've yet to find an FTP server that is easy to install, and that works right off... At any rate, an FTP server won't grant you access to everything on the drive(s), just to the stuff in its <ftproot> or whatever...

I also agree with Ghisler, however :) Building this into TC would be bad, it should be a plugin so that anyone can use it when needed. Preferrably something dead simple, so that one can send it to "Joe User" and just tell him/her to install it.....

Then as to whether the part that's installed at "Joe User"'s computer should be a plugin - no no.. A server is better for that, with a nice TC plugin to run it from the TC end.. Joe User probably don't even have TC installed in the first place :)

This should even be fairly easy to do.. Just take a regular FTP server thingy (component for Delphi, ActiveX or DLL otherwise) and couple that with a FS plugin :)
Best regards,
Christian Tiberg
CoMiKe

Post by *CoMiKe »

A little off-topic:

I were recently searching for a small ftp server (I like mini-software), and I've found two mini-ftp servers that I think could be interesting:

- SlimFTPd (21 Kb download).

- GammaFTPd (73 Kb download).

I like SlimFTPd a lot, as it has the ability to set your ftproot with folder of different drives.