Custom columns in wfx plugins

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

djk
Power Member
Power Member

Custom columns in wfx plugins

Post by *djk »

I wonder if it's possible to use custom columns in .wfx plugins. As I'm not a developer I've not read the documentation but I've not noticed it in any plugin, now.

What I mean? Now, for some plugins in default columns (ext, size, date) authors put some dummy values (like eg. 0). It would be better if they add their own columns and put really useful values in them.

Eg. there is Environment Variables plugin. Now it only show the name of the variable and you have to press enter to see its value. There could be eg. a column for it: VALUE and it could show the value of the variable at once.

For Pop3 plugin it could show columns like: From, To, Subject, Size, etc.

Of course it would have to launch automatically the custom columns when you run the plugin.

What do you think about it?
DJK
Totally addicted to Total Commander
totalcmd.pl
en.totalcmd.pl
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2djk
history wrote:29.10.04 Fixed: Content plugins were also called for FTP, packers, file system plugins and virtual folders, where they cannot work but cause slowdowns
Ergo

Post by *Ergo »

2Lefteous
history wrote:
29.10.04 Fixed: Content plugins were also called for FTP, packers, file system plugins and virtual folders, where they cannot work but cause slowdowns
This is not answer. The question as I see was why file system plugins that have such poor choice of columnes cannot use custom columnes and content plugins. This connection of FSPlugins+Custom Columnes could be greatest enhance for Total Commander currently possible.
Wincmd.ru WWW.TOTALCMD.NET
I see that future is near...
djk
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *djk »

Ergo wrote:This connection of FSPlugins+Custom Columnes could be greatest enhance for Total Commander currently possible.
Yes, it would be... :-)
DJK
totalcmd.pl
en.totalcmd.pl
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

This connection of FSPlugins+Custom Columnes could be greatest enhance for Total Commander currently possible.
How do you imagine that? Should TC download all the files displayed in file system plugins, just to extract custom columns from them?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
franck8244
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *franck8244 »

just a thought : FS plugins should be able to "change" the name of the column and display the desired info -> TC will have nothing to do
TC#88260 -
djk
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *djk »

2ghisler(Author)
I don't mean that for wfx plugins should be avaiable all wdx plugins. it could really cause some problems and be slow (the same for ftp connections). But as franck8244 noticed, the plugin shoulb be able to create its own columns suitable for it.
DJK
totalcmd.pl
en.totalcmd.pl
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Support++.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
szlori

Post by *szlori »

Hacker wrote:Support++.

Roman
Yes, me too!
I estimat that this is not a straightforward implementation, but the benefits would be great.
ctiberg

Post by *ctiberg »

I wrote about this in another thread, but of course I support this... That way one wouldn't have to see irrelevant columns that can't display meaningful data... And could get info from the FS plugin instead...
Best regards,
Christian Tiberg
CoMiKe

Post by *CoMiKe »

djk wrote:But as franck8244 noticed, the plugin should be able to create its own columns suitable for it.
I also hope to see this feature in future versions!

Greetings.
CoMiKe

Post by *CoMiKe »

Sorry for getting to top this topic, but is this feature planned for the next major version (v7.0, perhaps)?
djorge

Post by *djorge »

Thisl would be a great feature. At least the columns would have a meaning according the values shown.

I also agree that WDX should not be used in custom WFXs. Or maybe using a flag to activate the WDX data retrieval. Maybe in the FSInit method.
Personal License #117854
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

I dont know why FS-Plugins would need Conentent-Plugin support?
What Custom-Colums would be Usefull for TCBurner?, WebDav?, Versions?, Uninstall?, TaskManager (ProcFS)?, StartUpGuard?, Services?, SerialPort?, Registry?, EventList?, etc?
Hoecker sie sind raus!
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2Sir_SiLvA
dont know why FS-Plugins would need Conentent-Plugin support?
What Custom-Colums would be Usefull for TCBurner?, WebDav?, Versions?, Uninstall?, TaskManager (ProcFS)?, StartUpGuard?, Services?, SerialPort?, Registry?, EventList?, etc?
Are you really serious about that? Some examples:
Registry: Type, Value and permissions.
TaskManager: I don't know the plugin but the windows task manager has a lot of columns.
Uninstall: Comments
Recycle bin: Original location. date deleted
Eventlist and services: Many fields - just look at your windows event viewer or services management program. Think about a full text search in your event log... possibilities would be infinity (and no longer limited to plain files)