[Req] Skip single folder in search

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

hamidi

[Req] Skip single folder in search

Post by *hamidi »

to improve being more user-friendly:
suppose ur looking for a specific .jpg file, maybe ur own pic or a pic of ur baby and don't remember where u've put it in ur hard disk. so u decide to use Alt+F7 from root directory. during search u see some annoying folders ur certain u've not put it there. eg. Visual Studio .Net 2003...
it may be a good idea if u click on the name in the status bar of the search dialog, the directory be skipped!
did uc?
good luck
SanskritFritz
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *SanskritFritz »

it may be a good idea if u click on the name in the status bar of the search dialog, the directory be skipped!
Now that is a good idea! I support it. Maybe not in the taskbar, there could be a button saying "Skip this folder" or somethin like that. Then I want a confirmation dialog, to make sure that the right folder will be skipped.
I switched to Linux, bye and thanks for all the fish!
van Dusen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *van Dusen »

Support ++

I've requested such a feature 1,5 years ago in the german forum:

Match Trg=Src; Schnelle Dateisuche; Save Sucherg.; Filter; +, No. 5.)

Unfortunately this request wasn't commented by Mr. Ghisler, but hopefully he put it at that time on his wish list :?:
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sheepdog »

I support this feature, too. But I would recommend to give the Thread a more meaningful name like [Req] Skip single folder in search
or anything.

sheepdog
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Douglas Adams
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Re: 841204 - another suggestion

Post by *wanderer »

hamidi wrote:it may be a good idea if u click on the name in the status bar of the search dialog, the directory be skipped!
did uc?
good luck
Nice idea. I've needed this several times. I support it.

PS: I think this forum needs <thumbs-up> and <thumbs-down> emoticons
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Normally using latest TC on:
x32: WinXPx32 SP3
x64: Clients/Servers from Win7 to Win11 and Win2K12Srv to Win2K22Srv, mainly Win10 though.
Leif

Post by *Leif »

Yeah! This I need quite often. Thumbs up!
Get Radio? Sure! - the best Internet Radio Player ever! ;)
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

About the suggestion: The problem is that the search continues in the background, so when you click, the directory below the cursor may have changed just in that moment. Any ideas?

Inline images have been disabled for legal reasons. But the thumbnail feature looks very good! Is there a mod for that?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Christian,
The problem is that the search continues in the background, so when you click, the directory below the cursor may have changed just in that moment. Any ideas?
Sure.

Possible approach 1: Pause the search while user holds Ctrl key. While the user holds Ctrl, he could press another key (like Enter) to skip currently searched dir, or for instance (Ctrl+)Shift+Enter to skip currently searched dir and its subdirs.

Possible approach 2: Pause search when mouse cursor is over status bar, click skips current dir, Ctrl-Click skips current dir and its subdirs.

You get the idea. :)

HTH
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

[mod]Some off-topic posts have been split to the [Forum REQ] IMG tag support thread.

Hacker (Moderator)[/mod]
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

The basic idea is to pause the search but without search in background this won't work.
If it is a new pause/continue button could be added. In addition two
new buttons skip and skip including subdirs could be added which are only enabled in pause mode.
Last edited by Lefteous on 2006-02-23, 14:10 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

hamidi,
Could you please change the thread title to something more descriptive, like what Sheepdog suggested?

TIA
Hacker (Moderator)
hamidi

841206 - Skipping directories in search

Post by *hamidi »

about my own idea,
it may be checked to see whether the clicked folder has been displayed for say one second or so. if it's not true, it may be judged that the folder the user wanted to skip has already been skipped.
i don't agree with additional buttons. it reduces user-friendlyness. in addition, by clicking on a folder's name in the status bar of the search dialog, the user may specify which folder to be skipped directly.
i think by using this method there's no need to bring up a confirmation dialog. but this may be an option, or the skipped folders be shown at the end of the search so that the user may continue searching inside them!
it's not me who is going to add these capabilities, so it's easy to suggest! ;)
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

hamidi,
You need to edit your first post to change the thread title. Same goes for your other thread.

Thanks
Hacker (Moderator)
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

[mod]An off-topic post has been moved to [OT] Quarrels.

Hacker (Moderator)[/mod]
majkinetor !
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *majkinetor ! »

Thank you ! :lol:
Habemus majkam!