TC Icons Different Than Windows File Explorer

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

jiangzhenjerry

TC Icons Different Than Windows File Explorer

Post by *jiangzhenjerry »

I've seen many posts in this forum related to the same topic (for example, 1, 2, 3), and most of them are masked as "solved". However, it still looks weird from my end. Please the screenshot for a comparison on .txt, .log, and .bat under 32x32 and 48x48 settings, respectively.

Note that I'm using a 15'' 4K laptop and TC's default icon size is 32x32 from a clean install. In reality I have to use 48x48, otherwise too small to see. Either way, the problem doesn't go away.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: TC Icons Different Than Windows File Explorer

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

The txt and log icons seem to be from the same source, just scaled differently. Normlly a program contains multiple variations (sizes, color depths) of the same icon, and it's unclear which one us used by the Explorer.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
jiangzhenjerry

Re: TC Icons Different Than Windows File Explorer

Post by *jiangzhenjerry »

Regarding .txt and .log: Yes it seems like a scaling issue. However, if I manually assign them the correct icon:

Code: Select all

Filter1=*.log;*.txt
Filter1_open=notepad.exe "%1%
Filter1.icon=C:\Windows\System32\imageres.dll,97
(note that I only specify the icon ID, not resolution) then the icon will display correctly and exactly like Windows File Explorer.

Regarding .bat: Out of curiosity I did a comparison on .bat, .cmd, and .com, and the result (see here) is interesting:
(1) In Windows, .bat and .cmd are using the same icon, while .com is using a different icon.
(2) In TC, .bat and .com are using the same icon (which is different than either icon in Windows), and only .cmd is using the same icon as Windows.