TC shell sometimes work

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

mcadae

TC shell sometimes work

Post by *mcadae »

I have been a registered user of TC since 2003 and I absolutely love the program I can't function in windows without it. There is nothing that it can't do except one... (sometimes). Mostly TC will not have the same menu items or won't show thumbnails for certain files mainly AutoCAD and Autodesk Inventor files in thumbnail view, but every once in a while I'll get that Windows Explorer functionality and I really love it. I've attached tow images to help show what I am talking about

Image: https://www.screencast.com/t/jafDanD1q

The image link above is the Windows Explorer with the thumbnails and full context menu.
Image: https://www.screencast.com/t/88SpIyygf

The Image link above is the TC normal thumbnail view with a little less context menu.

I want to know is how to get the thumbnails to display for the particular files and the context menu to show up? Also why does it occasionally start working correctly in TC and what settings am I missing? Is it a plug-in that I need to load or unload? I have been scratching my head on this one for a while.
Thanks
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Re: TC shell sometimes work

Post by *Dalai »

It wouldn't be the first time a shell extension only shows up in Explorer but does not in TC. Several extensions, especially those from anti-virus vendors, are lazy-written and/or lazy-tested and only show up in Explorer. A workaround you can try is to rename totalcmd.exe (or totalcmd64.exe) to Explorer.exe. Sometimes it helps, sometimes it doesn't. If it doesn't, you can only contact the vendor of that software and ask them why and ask to to fix this.

As for thumbnails of special file types: Have a look at the inofficial plugin site totalcmd.net. Maybe you find what you need there.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
solid
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *solid »

I have thumbnails for .dwg and .dxf files in TC. Just checked, thumbnails does not appear in explorer.
I played with configuring thumbnails several years ago, it was quite uncharted territory for me. Unfortunately I don't remember what plugin I've installed to show thumbnails of those filetypes.

Lister shows that it uses ulister plugin for showing .dwg, so try that one. I have only two rather old .dwg files, so i cannot tell if the latest versions of those filetypes are supported.
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tuska »

I could also get a thumbnail view for a .dwg file with the uLister plugin.
Maybe this can help (summary in german language). ... Google-Translated