Autocompletion of command line - Annoying behaviour

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

zizka

Autocompletion of command line - Annoying behaviour

Post by *zizka »

Hi, I just started to use the 7 beta2 and I found one very annoying thing - the command line autocompletion. It could be useful, but not that way it works now.

Just example - I have a program that backups my project. It's name is back.exe. It creates a directory named Backup and stores backup inside it. When I type "back" the TC places "backup" in the command line (because the directory already exists). But I dont want to open that directory - so I have to write "back" - Delete - Enter - Enter. And that's really annoying.

I think that the autocomplete should not work like this - it should open the combobox with the autocomplete words, but it should not automatically add the words to the command line. If I want to choose one of the autocomplete words I should be able to do it using different key than Enter - for example Down key.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2zizka
Maybe you should try and disable "Configuration" -> "Operation" -> "Auto-append suggested name" ?
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
zizka

Post by *zizka »

2 petermad:

Well that is better, but not enough - If the autocomplete box opens and I type anything that is not in the box - I have to push Enter twice.

Like in my scenario - I have a folder named backup and I want to execute program back.exe. When I type "back" in the command line (the autocomplete box opens with "Backup" in it) and I press Enter, all I get is that the autocomplete box closes and the "back" stays selected on the command line. I think that it should be executed directly without that additional Enter press.