Cursor position in Lister.

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

fenix_productions
Power Member
Power Member

Cursor position in Lister.

Post by *fenix_productions »

Hi.
I've just discovered strange thing in Lister. When You scrolling text using CTRL+ARROWS carret stays in the same position (OK), but when You rich the edge of the screen cursor disappears. It should stay on the first line (top) or last line (bottom). It looks like carret is always on 0 line (if You count from 1) or in the n+1 line (if n is first line from bottom).

P.S. Sorry for my english, if I mixed to much ;)
"When we created the poke, we thought it would be cool to have a feature without any specific purpose." Facebook...

wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Cursor position in Lister.

Post by *wanderer »

fenix_productions wrote:It should stay on the first line (top) or last line (bottom).
I agree with that. It would be very convenient.
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Normally using latest TC on:
x32: WinXPx32 SP3
x64: Clients/Servers from Win7 to Win11 and Win2K12Srv to Win2K22Srv, mainly Win10 though.
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

I'm not sure I understood correctly... Do you mean that on Ctrl+arrows the cursor should change its position instead of moving out of the visible area? If yes, then I strongly disagree! The cursor should move only when I explicitly make it move by the cursor movement keys or mouse click. Else I could not e.g. scroll for several pages and then select all these pages from the current cursor position with Shift+click.
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Using TC 10.52 / Win10 x64
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

Flint wrote:I'm not sure I understood correctly... Do you mean that on Ctrl+arrows the cursor should change its position instead of moving out of the visible area? If yes, then I strongly disagree! The cursor should move only when I explicitly make it move by the cursor movement keys or mouse click. Else I could not e.g. scroll for several pages and then select all these pages from the current cursor position with Shift+click.
Hmmm, you got a point there.

CTRL + arrows and ALT + arrows seem to do exactly the same thing at the moment. Perhaps one of them should be altered to act like fenix_productions described. What you describe is not convenient in all cases...
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Normally using latest TC on:
x32: WinXPx32 SP3
x64: Clients/Servers from Win7 to Win11 and Win2K12Srv to Win2K22Srv, mainly Win10 though.
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

wanderer
Yes, Alt+arrows could be used for it.
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

fenix_productions
Power Member
Power Member

@Flint
Cursor should change position (always in 1st/last line) only if rich the edges. This is working now, but it is not perfect. The current solution is that cursor is hidden from user's view. It stays in 0 and n+1 position. Please check it and scroll some text using CTRL/ALT+ArrowKey. No matter how far You scroll text up, only one ArrowDown key press is needed for caret to be visible.

One press should takes you back to one line more than place where You've started moving.

The best solution could be to have two different cases for ALT and CTRL.
"When we created the poke, we thought it would be cool to have a feature without any specific purpose." Facebook...

Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

fenix_productions
Ah, now I see what you mean. But this looks more like a bug. Please, try the following: scroll down with Ctrl+down for many lines, and then do not move the cursor, but just scroll up with Ctrl+up. You will see that the cursor position did not change, and this is absolutely correct behaviour (look at Notepad, MS Word, Wordpad and many other editors. I assume there are editors which keep the cursor in the visible area, but they are definitely not a majority).

Reported in a separate thread.

fenix_productions
Power Member
Power Member

You stole my bug report! ;)

ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Currently I don't plan to change this behaviour, sorry.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com