win commander 4.0 problem

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

itsmenow

win commander 4.0 problem

Post by *itsmenow »

I am a user of windows commander 4.0, and I hope its allowed to ask a question about this older version.

Tonight I burned a CD, and after finishing, I compared directories with WC. Left the source dir, and right the fresh burned CD.
I found it very strange that WC found differences in the directories, and there were many items lightning up. But ALL the filenames AND the size of the files were exactly the same.

After experimenting a lot, and trying out many things I discovered this:
When I tried to copy a marked (as different) file from the CD to the source dir, I get the message: Do you really want to replace the file
abcdefg.mp3 3.200.000 kb 22-aug-2003 13:45:23 with
abcdefg.mp3 3.200.000 kb 22 aug-2003 13:45:46 ?

Well there is the problem. During burning it seems that my Pinnacle burn-software has added some seconds to the time, and now WC recognizes (only in comparing directories!) them as different files.
Of course it is not any problem, ONLY for this specific option in WC, an option that I like very much for safety, and I use very much.

Never seen this problem before, only now when I just started as a newbee to burn CD's.

2 questions: is anything to change in WC version 4.0 so that comparing directories does not have this problem?
Or could there perhaps be a way, that my burning software does not change the seconds in date/time of files?

Thanks for any ideas and or help!
Tsunulukai

Post by *Tsunulukai »

I think you should first try updating to the last version of Total Commander to see if you can reproduce the problem with this version...
havanna

Post by *havanna »

Update is no problem! It all looks quite the same, but everything is even a little better!

I don't remember what it was like in 4, but now there is a "Synchronize" function that will allow you to have your CD checked against the original data comparing files bytewise regardless of file date. Very handy that is too :lol:
Tanstaafl
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

The Synchronize dirs function has an option "Ignore dates", at least in newer versions.
A good cd burning software should have an option "use date and time from the original file" (taken from Nero Burning Rom).