Tabs

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

funtuva

Tabs

Post by *funtuva »

How to disable that every time you change a directory a new tab opens. I only want to have open tabs manually with CTRL-UP ARROW. This seems to be an automatic open tab feature that I think can be disabled/enabled, no?
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

You probably have a tab locked. Try unlocking it (Right click on a tab en choose unlock).
funtuva

Tabs open automatically (disabling?)

Post by *funtuva »

Yes of course I have several tabs locked, the frequently used ones.

But that is not the problem, the problem is that new tabs open automatically when I change directories, and that was not the initial behavior as I remember. In this way it is like the history gets recorded in innumerable tabs.... there has to be a way to disable this.
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

That's the default behavior of TCmd. When you try to change dirs on a locked tab, is opens them in a new tab. Locked tabs are prevented from displaying any other dir, they display only the dir they were displaying when locked. Some people (including myself) have proposed to "unlock" the "down" direction in locked tabs, i.e. when i try to open a subdirectory in a locked tab, TCmd will open it in that tab. The whole proposal is under discussion by the users of the forum. AFAIK, there is no comment by Christian so far. Check the following link:

http://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=2158
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Normally using latest TC on:
x32: WinXPx32 SP3
x64: Clients/Servers from Win7 to Win11 and Win2K12Srv to Win2K22Srv, mainly Win10 though.
funtuva

Post by *funtuva »

Well, this happens also when the tab is not locked. This is, no matter what, with unlocked tabs, Totcmd will open a new tab automatically when you change dirs. It does not need to be a subdirectory of the tab you are in, it will open a new tab for ANY directory you go to, above or below.
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

funtuva wrote:Well, this happens also when the tab is not locked
This should not happen. So something is wrong. Could you be more specific about your configuration (windows XP or whatever)? I guess you allready rebooted your computer, because messages are from different dates. Maybe you can give us your wincmd.ini file (edit the things you do not like to share) so we can try to reproduce the behaviour.
funtuva

Post by *funtuva »

Yes I rebooted. Where do you want me to send you my ini file? I do not have anything to edit.... have an email address or something. I have been using this since the days of Norton Commander in CPM, before the windows version came out, etc...
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

I have received the email with the wincmd.ini

There is a problem with the tabs as described in http://ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=2326

To get things working again do this:
First unlock all locked Tabs with the rightclick menu. Then close all Tabs.
After that it works fine. Do not make Tabs/lock Tabs the way described in http://ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=2326
chrisvw

Post by *chrisvw »

I have this problem only if the original folder was renamed/deleted/moved. The tab is therefore pointing to a non-existing folder, causing new tabs to pop up every time you click on it.

Simply close the tab and recreate it. At least, it worked for me.
funtuva

Post by *funtuva »

White,

Nope. I did as you suggested, unlock all tabs, closed them all. The open a new tab. Then again, no matter where I navigate the tree, a new tab opens for that directory. If I change directory, that tab renames itself showing the current directory so to speak. Maybe it is designed to work that way?

I find the whole issue is getting pretty confusing. The behavior of this is not well explained or erratic.
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

2funtuva

First of all sorry I mixed up some things. Because your folders of course did not exist on my system TC behaved like discussed in the mentioned thread (Ghisler confirmed this will be fixed in 6.01).
funtuva wrote:Nope. I did as you suggested, unlock all tabs, closed them all. The open a new tab. Then again, no matter where I navigate the tree, a new tab opens for that directory.
A new tab should only be created when the current tab is locked. It worked as supposed to on my computer with your wincmd.ini. Maybe you can tell me how do you navigate to a new directory?
funtuva wrote:If I change directory, that tab renames itself showing the current directory so to speak. Maybe it is designed to work that way?
I you change directories and the current tab is not locked, no new tab should be created, but the new directory is displayed in the current tab and the label of the current tab will change to show the current directory. It is designed to work this way.
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

2funtuva

I noticed you use several plugins. I do not know if it will do any good, but maybe you can try to unload all plugins?
funtuva

Post by *funtuva »

this happened before installing the plugins...