Restoring old, working Multi-Renamer with normal shortcut?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

TMoon

Restoring old, working Multi-Renamer with normal shortcut?

Post by *TMoon »

In older versions of WC, the multi-renamer was the feature I used most often, and I would always press Ctrl-T with one hand... I tried it with the new version the first time I ran it, as usual, but then a bunch of some useless "tabs" of no fathomable purpose opened and spammed the whole window. And this still happens every time I want to use the multi-renamer... before I remember that the new longcut (it certainlty isn't a SHORTcut) is Ctrl-M, and before I close all the infuriating tabs, I'm fuming already. Then I have to use both hands to press this new "shortcut", Ctrl-M.

I won't even mention the fact that pressing "N-N#" no longer works as it should be, and instead of inserting the "N-N99" string, it asks me some meaningless question about "characters I want to insert".

Is there any way to restore the normal shortcut as it should be, Ctrl-T? Or is deleting v6 and reinstalling the older version the only way to get the proper multi-renamer, with a normal shortcut and properly working N## function? (Actually, this is what I'm considering already, since I saw no useful changes in the new version - only those two annoying bugs -^)
Leif

Post by *Leif »

Try Configuration | Options | Misc. - Redefine hotkeys (Keyboard remapping)
Aezay

Re: Restoring old, working Multi-Renamer with normal shortcu

Post by *Aezay »

TMoon wrote:Then I have to use both hands to press this new "shortcut", Ctrl-M.
Small fingers, or large keyboard ehh :lol:
Ok, I agree the old shortcut was easier, but try using your left index finger on the right Ctrl and your little finger on M.
Of all the planets I've been to, this one is my favorite.
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2TMoon

In case you don't like the new tab feature you can disable it (Configuration/Layout/Show Directory tabs). You'll notice that Ctrl-T will now be the Multi Renamer again.
I won't even mention the fact that pressing "N-N#" no longer works as it should be, and instead of inserting the "N-N99" string, it asks me some meaningless question about "characters I want to insert".
There is a thread about this in the german forum:
http://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=2288
SanskritFritz
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *SanskritFritz »

It still works just as before, just press enter on the extra dialog. But on the other hand, the dialog is EXTREMELY useful, as you dont have to count the characters by hand, if you want to keep only a part of the filename. Believe me this IS a positive progress.
I switched to Linux, bye and thanks for all the fish!
Clo

Post by *Clo »

:shock: Hi!
Personally, I don't use keyboard-shortcuts a lot... So, to keep a free hand, you could install a button in the customizable tool-bar using the command:
cm_MultiRenameFiles=2400
If you have none spécific icon for this, I think to draw one immediatly :)
... and send it to you whether I'ld get a reply!
:?: ++ Clo
Boofo
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Boofo »

Clo wrote::shock: Hi!
Personally, I don't use keyboard-shortcuts a lot... So, to keep a free hand, you could install a button in the customizable tool-bar using the command:
cm_MultiRenameFiles=2400
If you have none spécific icon for this, I think to draw one immediatly :)
... and send it to you whether I'ld get a reply!
:?: ++ Clo
What is the "=2400" used for in a button? And I would be interested in the icon if you want to make one. :)
Clo

Post by *Clo »

Hi again!
The 2400 number is used to add that command in a menu only, instead the full alpha string cm_MultiRenameFiles; but there is no matter to install as an icon in the button-bar! You have just to add the button from Options >>Buttons dialog, and choose that command in the scrolling-list... Then, choose the appropriate icon below.
The list is, in fact, the file <Totalcmd.inc>, which contains the whole allowed commands in TC
8) The icon is made, please just mailto me, hence I'ld send it to you quickly! :wink:
++ Friendly, Clo (ß-tester and French translator for... almost 5 years!)
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2SanskritFritz
It still works just as before, just press enter on the extra dialog. But on the other hand, the dialog is EXTREMELY useful, as you dont have to count the characters by hand, if you want to keep only a part of the filename. Believe me this IS a positive progress.
The behavior is not the same!. If you just press enter the length of the active filename will be taken, not the length of the longest filename.
SanskritFritz
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *SanskritFritz »

The behavior is not the same!. If you just press enter the length of the active filename will be taken, not the length of the longest filename.
Oops, you're absolutely right!
I switched to Linux, bye and thanks for all the fish!
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

But why do you need the length of the name? If you want all characters starting with e.g. the second, use [N2-] instead of [N2-100]...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2ghisler(Author)

There has been a discussion in the german board including an example: http://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=2288

I want the "[N#-#]"-button to show the longest not the current filename.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

But why would you need this? Why not simply use [N1-] instead?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com