Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Please, do not let us create a shadow Wiki

Post by *karlchen »

Reference:
Generic how-tos thread / Allgemeiner Wie geht das Leitfaden
stefan2 wrote:I just want to have a place to collect some generic FAQs.
Utilizing a thread in the forum I find more nifty for my use than logging into the wiki.
Objection:

The T.C. WIKI exists and it has got a FAQ section.
Adding FAQs and the corresponding answers in a thread here is not less work than adding FAQs and the corresponding answers in the WIKI.

Such a FAQ thread is going to be a real monster soon, provided users do add questions and answers in it, because a thread is like a discussion, but not like a reference book.
So soon it will be hard to retrieve any question and the corresponding answer to it in a forum thread.

The T.C. WIKI has been created to present articles / questions & answers / information in a clearly arranged way. Questions and answers are cross-linked, so they are easily retrievable.

The only downside which our T.C. WIKI has is that a lot of articles are outdated and that a lot of Howtos and FAQs may be missing.
But this is our own fault.

A WIKI is a collection of pieces of information gathered by its users. But most of the times most of us are lazybones and hope somebody else will write the article which we would like to find in the WIKI. I am no exception to this rule.

So the right conclusion will be adding / updating the existing TC WIKI FAQs with the FAQs that Stefan2 has posted in his thread, not creating a shadow WIKI.
If people are willing to spend time on adding something useful to that thread they may as well spend the same time putting the same piece of information in the TC Wiki FAQ section.

Karl
--
Removed trailing "e" in the title.
Last edited by karlchen on 2014-08-28, 21:21 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

karlchen,
Let it die on its own.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

Im 100% with Karl on this and I think Stefans thread is the most useless thing ever.
Hoecker sie sind raus!
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Just to make that clear in case it had not been clear:
I did not try to prevent Stefan2 or anybody else from publishing useful How-to articles.
I only tried to explain that the proper place to post them would be the T.C. Wiki, not an ever growing monster thread.
--
Let me add one more point which I did not mention:
In the T.C. Wiki it is pretty easy to correct mistakes in a How-To article. In a thread only the original author of the post holding the How-To can do so.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Why not edit the wiki and then post a link here in the forum?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
HighDiver

Re: Please, do not let use create a shadow Wiki

Post by *HighDiver »

karlchen wrote:The only downside which our T.C. WIKI has is that a lot of articles are outdated and that a lot of Howtos and FAQs may be missing.
Another downside is that it requires Javascript enabled to view (and this is an issue common with other Wikis too). If you have Javascript disabled by default (which the security conscious should) then Wiki links will return a blank page.

So a forum thread can be a useful alternative, and if someone is prepared to share their experience, why complain?