Win+C/F/V hotkeys don't work on Windows 7

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: sheep, Hacker, Stefan2, white

Fla$her

Win+C/F/V hotkeys don't work on Windows 7

Post by *Fla$her »

ТС (any version) on Windows 7 does not respond to Win+C, Win+F, Win+V hotkeys after binding any command to them.
The problem is missing for Win+C/V on Directory Opus, Listary, Zentimo xStorage Manager, USB Safely Remove.
Please correct it.

petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Win+C/F/V hotkeys don't work on Windows 7

Post by *petermad »

License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 9.5b10 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit, Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (1909) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.4.1.960 (x64)
TC 3.0b16 on Android 6.0
Get: Extended Total Commander Menus | TC Languagebar | PHSM-Calendar

Fla$her

Post by *Fla$her »

petermad
I know what hotkeys are on Win 7/10.
I pointed out specific and wrote a list of programs that have no problems with the C and V keys without a global binding any changes in the registry.
Win+F on Windows 7 also does nothing, although it is declared. But F is not as important to me as C and V.

petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

It is hardly a bug, that TC respects the letters reserved by Microsoft for the Winkey.

You could ask for it as a feature in TC suggestions (English)
License #524 (1994)
TC 9.5b10 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit, Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (1909) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.4.1.960 (x64)
TC 3.0b16 on Android 6.0

Fla$her

Post by *Fla$her »

How is this not a bug if it works on other programs, but not here? Check out the concept of hotkeys in these programs, then you will understand that you are wrong.

petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Obviously ghisler (Author) doesn't consider it a bug: https://ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?p=363602#p363602

And the Help also mentions the limitation:
Hotkey: Define a hotkey here. Now also supports the Windows key if it hasn't been assigned to a system-wide function (like Win+E for the Explorer)

I don't say that it is not possible to make Win+C/V work, as you have proved with examples of other programs. I have programs myself that can assign Win+C/V.

But just because other programs have a certain feature, doesn't mean it is a bug if TC doesn't have it - It would be like writing that it is a bug that TC doesn't have and Undo function.

Don't misunderstand - I fully support it as a feature request!
Last edited by petermad on 2020-01-18, 22:04 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
License #524 (1994)
TC 3.0b16 on Android 6.0

Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

In short words: It's not a bug, it's a (missing) feature.
Regards from Poland
Andrzej P. Wozniak

Fla$her

Post by *Fla$her »

petermad wrote:
2020-01-18, 21:52 UTC
Obviously ghisler (Author) doesn't consider it a bug:
He wrote the following:
ghisler(Author) wrote: Many WIN key combinations are handled by Windows before they get to the applications, so they cannot be reassigned.
Sorry, but Many don't mean Any.
petermad wrote:
2020-01-18, 21:52 UTC
I don't say that it is not possible to make Win+C/V work, as you have proved with examples of other programs. I have programs myself that can assign Win+C/V.
There is a big difference between some programs (like AHK) and the listed ones. You will not be able in Listary and Zentimo xStorage Manager to assign Win+B/E/R etc. since they are busy. The last program will even point to this. Directory Opus has a global binding option, but it is not required for Win+C/V. So I think this is a mistake/deviation/omission, not a specificity of ТС.

ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

There are two ways to handle hotkeys:
1. Within a program: That's what Total Commander currently does. The hotkeys only work when they aren't defined system-wide in some other program.
2. System-wide: In this case, a hotkey defined in one program cannot be used in any other programs. For example, many hotkeys with the Win key are defined system-wide by the Explorer/Desktop. They are intercepted before TC can see them.

I don't want to define Total Commander hotkeys system-wide, because then they would become unusable in other programs like Word. Defining hotkeys system-wide only makes sense for commands which need to be used when in any program like Win+P to switch to a different screen.
Author of Total Commander
http://www.ghisler.com

Fla$her

Post by *Fla$her »

2ghisler(Author)
No one asks you to make these hotkeys global. I repeat: Directory Opus perfectly copes with Win+C/V without global binding. I would not have raised the issue if it was about a global binding.
If in Directory Opus doesn't checked the global binding checkbox, the corresponding letter B/E/R/L etc. for WinKey will not appear in the field. But this doesn't apply to Win+C/V.

ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have tried to add support for Win+C, but it's not so easy:
1. I do not get a WM_KEYDOWN or WM_SYSKEYDOWN message for Win+C. I do get one for Win key alone, and also fir CTRL+SHIFT+WIN+C, though.
2. I cannot even call RegisterHotKey for Win+C to register it system-wide, it returns an error
3. The only way to see Win+C is to set a system-wide keyboard hook of type WH_KEYBOARD_LL. Some virus scanners may show an alarm about a keylogger.

Fla$her

Post by *Fla$her »

2ghisler(Author)
Are you checking this precisely on Windows 7?

ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

I tested it on Windows 10. Windows 7 is slightly different:
1. Same behaviour as Windows 10 in the WM_KEYDOWN messages
2. I can call RegisterHotkey, but it works system-wide (Win+C in any program sends it to TC)
3. Same as Windows 10.