Some suggestions to directory history

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

yong

Some suggestions to directory history

Post by *yong »

TC 11.00 introduces a new directory history menu, but I feel there are some improvements that could be made:

1. Move frequently used directories to the top half of the directory history list, this is how most browsers display
addresses in their address bar - most frequently visited addresses are shown first

2. Show the most frequently used directory or directories in a bold font - they should have more attention

3. Use a thicker and darker line to divide the frequently used directories from the rest of the directory history

4. Add a hotkey to quickly switch between the two parts of the history menu, for instance, Alt+Down arrow to
switch from the frequently used directories to the first item of the directory history, and Alt+Up arrow to switch
back to the first item of the most frequently used directories
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Some suggestions to directory history

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

1. You can reverse the order via right click menu
2. Do people really have just one most important directory?
3. Wouldn't that look ugly?
4. Just press cursor down when at the end, or cursor up when at the start. That's why the newest directory is shown at one edge, and the most frequently visited at the other edge.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
yong

Re: Some suggestions to directory history

Post by *yong »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2023-05-18, 07:16 UTC 1. You can reverse the order via right click menu
OK, got it! Thanks.
2. Do people really have just one most important directory?
I said "the most frequently used directory or directories" - I mean one or all items in this section should be made more visible.
3. Wouldn't that look ugly?
Perhaps you could add some more spaces around the divider so that the two parts are easier to tell apart.

Currently (up to TC 11.0 beta 3) if the most frequently used directories are at the top of the history list, the last visit count
would overlap the right end of the divider.
4. Just press cursor down when at the end, or cursor up when at the start. That's why the newest directory is shown at one edge, and the most frequently visited at the other edge.
After some research I found I have to uncheck "Show most frequently used directory in the middle" in Configuration - History
in the first place.

That brings another suggestion for improvement:

Two items in the directory history context menu - "Reverse order (last visited at the top)" and "Show most frequently used directories"
- should also be present as two options in the Configuration - History page. Relevant options are better placed together and have
a single access point so that they are less confusing to the user.