Total Commander for MDA pro

Support for PocketPC and WinCE version

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Macher

Total Commander for MDA pro

Post by *Macher »

Hello forum, i am interesting to download and install TC on my MDA pro (from T-Mobile).

On the homepage at requirements for PocketPC Version i read:
"A Pocket PC or Pocket PC phone device: The text "PocketPC" or "Windows-Powered" should be on the device!"

At requirements for WinCE Version i read:
"A Windows CE device (NOT a PocketPC!) with Windows CE 2.x or newer."

At requirements for Smartphone Version i read:
"A Windows Smartphone (NOT a PocketPC phone!). This is a phone without a touchscreen!"

Now, what type is my MDA pro?
It is a smartphone -> yes
It is a PocketPC -> yes
It has Windows -> yes
MDA pro has Windows Mobile 5.0 quertz keyboard, touchscreen and a phone.

I think the Smartphone Version of TC is not suitable, because MDA pro is a phone but WITH a touchscreen...
I'm really confused....

Can you help me, which version i have to download?
Thanks in advance
Macher

BTW: What is the difference between following operating systems?
- Windows CE (severe versions such as 1.0, 2.0, 3.0 etc.)
- Windows Smartphone (severe versions such as 2002, 2003 etc.)
- Windows Mobile (severe versions such as 5.0, 2005 etc.)
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

You need the PocketPC version. The Smartphone version may also work on your device, but it is optimized for a device without a touchscreen, so it has no button bar, only two menu buttons (select and file), etc. The CE version is mostly suited for landscape mode devices with keyboard, but do not handle vertical/horizonal screen switching.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Macher

Post by *Macher »

Thanks for your advice, i have installed TC for PocketPC (tcmdpocketarm.cab) directly from SD card.

It works fine, but there are two inadequacies i found:
The MDA pro is capable of switching the screen automatically (and also manually) between portrait and landscape mode. So, the tab adjust settings of TC don't differ between both screen modes :-(

The second problem is the shortcuts on the MDA pro due to the lack of keys 'Ctrl' and 'Alt'... (but it has a 'full' querty keyboard, with additional 'FN' function key).
So it's not possible to press e.g. 'Ctrl'+'3' to view a file or 'Alt'+'-' to select all files of same type. Is there a possibility to redirect 'FN' to 'Ctrl' key?

I'm missing these quickly shortcuts, because i'm a freaky keboard shortcut user, especially on the PC-Windows version of TC :-)

Can Ghisler note these improvements to build in the next version of TC for PocketPC?

Macher
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sorry, I have no idea what key codes this FN code creates, it's not a key described in any Microsoft documentations...
syntech

Post by *syntech »

How about adding a function to 'learn' special key codes by user interaction (key press) and storing the return value?

Something like:

-> start learning key code
-> wait for key to be pressed
-> recognise key code
-> save key code
-> use saved key code in combinations with other (known) key codes

Should work on any device, I assume.
Anglik

Another HTC / QTEK 9000 / O2 XDA Exec user wishlist :)

Post by *Anglik »

Hi Mr Ghisler,

First of all, thank you for this great application, and its continued development! :)

I am another user of one of these HTC devices known under numerous names, such as:
HTC Universal
Qtek 4040 / Qtek 9000
T-Mobile MDA Pro / MDA IV
O2 Xda Exec
Orange SPV M5000
Vodafone VPA IV
Dopod 900
iMate JASJAR
Grundig GR980.

1) As has already been suggested, since this device has a hardware keyboard with Fn key, it would be great if this Fn key could be made to work somehow as a shortcut key in TC/CE - I agree in this with my predecessor from this thread.
2) I notice that both the TC/PPC and the TC/CE version works for my device. The CE version seems to have a more friendly UI, actually, but maybe I feel this way because it reminds me of my Desktop XP screen more :) However, neither version supports a window-by-window layout - which I think would seem viewable in landscape VGA that my device is capable of under WM5. Would it be possible for you to include this layout feature? It should work OK with a finer font (size 9 or 8...). I know I have an option of "virtual 2 window mode", but a "real 2 window mode" is what I would really appreciate. As it is now, the windows only appear one above the other, even in landscape view, when one beside the other would seem more efficient.
3) My device has two "soft buttons" (as for WM5 specs) which could easily (I hope) be assigned to your TC/CE "File" and "Show" menus. This way menus could be keyboard-operable - one of the soft buttons could be used to access each menu and then, as it is now, scroll keys or underlined hotkeys could be used to run commands. As of now, I need to reach up and tap the screen to open one of the menus first, and only then can I return to typing on the keyboard, which is a bit troublesome.

Other than that, your app is great and I just need to decide which version, the PPC or CE, works better for my hybrid platform... :)

Best regards!
Anglik
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

1) The TC/CE version should already support Alt+Letter hotkeys

2) I have considered this, but found the screen still too small even in landscape mode for 2 windows side by side...

3) Version 2.5 will support them!
Anglik

Post by *Anglik »

That's cool news about 3), thanks! :)
Honk739

2 Windows in Landscape

Post by *Honk739 »

hi
i guess i have a solution for 2) that works fine

You need to install the CE Version.
Then download
- Force Hi-resolution tool V1.60
- gsGetFile.dll
from
http://www.geocities.co.jp/SiliconValley-Cupertino/2039/

Both files need to be copied in the Windows directory. Then execute
ForceHires.cpl and add "TotalCommander". Check the Checkbox and vola Total Commander uses 2 windows in landscape. :-)
cmonex

Post by *cmonex »

sadly this solution doesn't work too well. it doesn't go into true vga mode :cry: