English support forum

Moderators: Hacker, petermad, Stefan2, white

Black Dog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Black Dog »

[face=courier]On 27-11-2003 20:57:15 +0000 white wrote:

w> Forum rule 11:

w> 11.) Don't post just to increase your number of posts.

I'm just curious, who are you, my fellow terran, to tell me or anyone else here what I (or anyone else) should do and what shouldn't? If you missed something I can remind you - this forum has Moderator and this is NOT you, actually. This is Mr. Ghisler.

Got it?[/face]
Maxwish

Post by *Maxwish »

I find a bit of chit-chat very pleasant time-to-time.

if there was a Forum rule nr. 11, I think it should be:
11. Please don't start a new topic for everything, but continue a existing thread (if present).

why ?
Last 2 weeks, thousands, no millions, of new threads are being started, that could have easily been continued in an existing one. Just because the last post in a thread is from a month ago, doesn't mean it will niot be read when a new post is made.

Good examples on how I think it should be done:

* Thread from Black Dog about his Extended menu:
http://ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=97&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=28
Last Post: Mon Mar 10, 2003 3:34 am
Continued Post: Sun Nov 23, 2003 1:04 am

* AES plugin thread, all bugs and updates posted in 1 thread:
http://ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=1570

**EDIT** Update

Oops,
I thought there where only 10 rules but I just saw there are now 12 forum rules. And the rule nr. 11 that White refered to, is an existing rule. Sorry, but I still like a bit of chit-chat once in a while...but I respect Ghislers wish to keep the forum a bit cleaner and on topic.
So this means my proposed rule should be rule 13
...BRB...
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

Black Dog wrote:w> Forum rule 11:
I'm just curious, who are you, my fellow terran, to tell me or anyone else here what I (or anyone else) should do and what shouldn't? If you missed something I can remind you - this forum has Moderator and this is NOT you, actually. This is Mr. Ghisler. Got it?
I am not interested in telling who is right and who is wrong. I apologize for the lack of tact to all people who feel harassed.
My goal is to get people (and in particular the moderator) to pay some attention to the forum rules and how they are lived up to in this forum. I hope to get some discussion going on this topic and was thinking that maybe, in the future, the participants in this forum could help each other to better live up to the forum rules. Not by saying "you are wrong", but by suggesting another way of doing things.

I am aware my behaviour might very well not be tolerated by the moderator. I am awaiting his actions. If he does take action, my goal is reached.
Maxwish wrote:I find a bit of chit-chat very pleasant time-to-time.
Well, there are other ways to do a bit of chit-chat are there not? Note that you can publish your email address and ICQ number in your profile. Both email and ICQ are very well suited for chit-chat.
This is not a chatbox but the official support forum of Total Commander as stated on http://www.ghisler.com/faq.htm.
Suppose someone has a problem related to Total Commander and discovers on the website of Total Commander the existence of the support forum of Total Commander. He desides to post a message concerning his problem and enables the option to watch the thread, so he gets an email when a reply is posted. Why should that persons valuable time be wasted by people who want to do a bit of chit-chat by replying to his message when they actually have nothing to say on the subject. (I do not mean to say this so harshly but I am trying to make a point)
Maxwish wrote:if there was a Forum rule nr. 11, I think it should be:
11. Please don't start a new topic for everything, but continue a existing thread (if present). why ? Last 2 weeks, thousands, no millions, of new threads are being started, that could have easily been continued in an existing one.
I think that is because the Forum Rules are not very well lived up to. I also think the Forum Rules are not thought of yesterday and do make a lot of sense.
Just for the record. If you search the forums you will find something like this:
A total of 17884 posts (2366 topics) in all available forums.
2300 posts (406 topics) in all available forums over the last two weeks.
So last two weeks only 406 new threads were being started.

I welcome a discussion about this but I realize it is actually off topic. I would like to see a new forum where poeple can talk about the forum itself. So we can talk on topic over there.
interDist

Post by *interDist »

white wrote:
Maxwish wrote:I find a bit of chit-chat very pleasant time-to-time.
Well, there are other ways to do a bit of chit-chat are there not? Note that you can publish your email address and ICQ number in your profile. Both email and ICQ are very well suited for chit-chat.
I haven't seen until now even one forum where the participants were always talking about the subject of the forum, strictly following the discussion, not allowing themselves even a phrase of not-related "chat".

Man, it's human nature, we're not robots, communicating with others (even if not exactly "on-topic") is unseparatable part of us. Humans tend to have associations. Imagine what a tedious, dull, unfriendly place would this forum be if people were only replying strictly, exactly, like machines, to the thread topic...
Coco

Post by *Coco »

I agree with interDist....
We have a support forum for TC since now nearly 2 years I think (the previous one and this one started in February this year).
Ok I don't want that it become a big mess but right now everything is ok and I don't feel that any moderator action need to be taken. (personal though off course)
Alain
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Please, calm down everybody! There have been a lot of messages lately because of the new release, but it's already getting less, so we don't need to worry about the forum becoming a big mess. :)
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
jb

Post by *jb »

Black Dog wrote:[face=courier]On 27-11-2003 20:57:15 +0000 white wrote:

w> Forum rule 11:

I'm just curious, who are you, my fellow terran, to tell me or anyone else here what I (or anyone else) should do and what shouldn't? If you missed something I can remind you - this forum has Moderator and this is NOT you, actually. This is Mr. Ghisler.

Got it?[/face]
Seems that for you the truth of a statement depends on whether the author of the statement has a certain status or not and that you get aggressive when you run out of real arguments.
I agree completely with white: Also for my taste there is too much chat in this forum and in particular your chat rate is quite high.
BTW: I know already that I'm not the moderator. :wink:
Black Dog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Black Dog »

[face=courier]On 30-11-2003 21:00:25 +0000 jb wrote:

j> Seems that for you the truth of a statement depends on
j> whether the author of the statement has a certain status
j> or not

One more time, the only person here (or in any other public conversation place like forum or subscribe list) who can judge others is local Moderator.
So if you do not like someone's behavior, contact Moderator DIRECTLY and tell him about situation you found wrong. And yes, if Moderator calls black white, this is absolute truth for his forum/list members. Because he is Master and Lord there. Am I clear?

j> and that you get aggressive when you run out of real
j> arguments.

What arguments?! Personal opinion of other member? You must be joking...

j> Also for my taste there is too much chat in this forum

So what? Why should I or someone else care about that fact?

j> and in particular your chat rate is quite high

Sorry, but your personal opinion about my posting is one of the last things I care about. With all my respect.

j> BTW: I know already that I'm not the moderator.

So if you knew it, why didn't you made any conclusions? %)[/face]
norfie
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *norfie »

Last edited by norfie on 2004-09-10, 21:51 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Boofo
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Boofo »

I'm going to have to go with Black Dog on this one. Sometimes a little chit chat can be good for the forum. You guys remember the "All work and no play" rule. I myself have had things pop into my head while responding to a thread. A message there for something insignificant is better than starting a whole new thread for it, don't you think? This forum is well run and has always had a little chit chat here and there and I don't think it has hurt anything anywhere. Why change what works? Just my 3 1/2 cents worth. ;)

BTW: Black Dog, what version of "List to Multi-Instance" are you using? ;)
Maxwish

Post by *Maxwish »

2 White
I can see your point. And I see your remark and that of JB as a remembrance to the forum users to keep the level of forum at a high standard. And I can only agree with you.
Just as long as a little fun is permitted, otherwise many frequent visitors, that often have much knowledge and like helping others, might not drop by here so often anymore.
...BRB...
Black Dog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Black Dog »

[face=courier]On 01-12-2003 09:07:05 +0000 norfie wrote:

n> white tell us only that he don't like this chit-chat and
n> repeat one forum rule. What is wrong?

I DON'T CARE what one white thinking about "chit-chat" &copy Maxwish - guess why %). And I didn't said here ANYTHING about "chit-chat" &copy Maxwish matter, actually - neither pro, nor contra. Because if it doesn't matter for Moderator, why should it bother me?! I'm not a Moderator here to judge. Just an ordinary user.

I suppose this time I'm perfectly clear.[/face]
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

Coco wrote:We have a support forum for TC since now nearly 2 years I think (the previous one and this one started in February this year).
Ok I don't want that it become a big mess but right now everything is ok and I don't feel that any moderator action need to be taken. (personal though off course)
Since I am only using this board since recently I was hoping for a reply like this. I am very pleased with your input.
Mr. Ghisler said some thing similar I think. Naturely I am also very pleased with his say.
Maxwish wrote:Just as long as a little fun is permitted..
I am certainly not against a little fun.
Maxwish wrote:.. otherwise many frequent visitors, that often have much knowledge and like helping others, might not drop by here so often anymore.
Well.. As long as Mr. Ghisler drops in ;)
CoMiKe

Post by *CoMiKe »

Well, I'm a frequent visitor, but I haven't posted so much. And if there's something excellent at this board is the fact that people at this forum *normally* doesn't lose his time in stupid threads like this. ;-)

I always admired the respect of people in this forum, not oftenly found in other existing boards. So please take calm, boys!