[TC 11.00b7] Context menu items does not respect file's avaialbility

Bug reports will be moved here when the described bug has been fixed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Re: [TC 11.00b7] Context menu items does not respect file's avaialbility

Post by *petermad »

And you say that in SUCH position of the elements on the screen, I can enter at the top right
No, it is in the right top of the Compare contents dialog that you can enter a file to compare with.

Here is a video for you: https://tcmd.madsenworld.dk/compareinsync.mp4

You can also compare two single files with different names - like this: https://tcmd.madsenworld.dk/compareinsync2.mp4
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
AntonyD
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *AntonyD »

2petermad
You can also compare two single files with different names - like this
Exactly about this case and I am talking about - but for such use-case - it would be really enough to enable this command ONLY IF such two single files were preselected. And this algo and I outlined in my post above - describing all the options for its application. And this is all understandable, all it within the framework of the described. And covered by the essence of this bug. BUT this "video for you:" - and the actions THERE / further - they have nothing to do with all this! This is a completely different window / other rules for working with it / a different logic for using it.
#146217 personal license
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

BUT this "video for you:" - and the actions THERE / further - they have nothing to do with all this! This is a completely different window / other rules for working with it / a different logic for using it.
No it is not unrelated. If you blocked the item "Compare left & right" for single files in the Sync tool, then I would not be able to do what the first part of the video shows (the second part of the video is to illustrate that it is the same action as when used in the file panel for a file that only exists in the source side).
License #524 (1994)
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
AntonyD
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *AntonyD »

And I don't have to take those first steps from "the first part of the video shows" FROM INSIDE THIS tool! Once again - if I saw or if I already know that the files I am looking for, for which I have to perform a synchronization operation, are now in completely different directories - I will not do everything that you showed in the first video - this is pointless! I purposefully then open the necessary paths in the file panels in order to IMMEDIATELY compare the contents of the selected files using the right tool. And now the path of action indicated in the video is sooooo thorny and merciless. In this dialog, either those files that actually exist on both sides are compared - and then their contents are immediately checked, or two lines are purposefully selected with single files that do not have their companions on the opposite side, and only these files are go immediately to compare.
#146217 personal license
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

I will not do everything that you showed in the first video - this is pointless! I purposefully then open the necessary paths in the file panels in order to IMMEDIATELY compare the contents of the selected files using the
Imagine that you are doing a large sync. where it takes many minutes to do the comparison. Then you see a single file and are in doubt whether that is the version of it, that you want to synchronize. It is much easier to do what I showed in the video to compare it to a master copy, than it is to close down the Sync tool, find both files in TC itself and do the comparison - then open the Sync tool again and wait for the comparison to take finish, and then find the file again in the compared list, and maybe remove it from being synchronized.

And just because you don't want a certain feature, I think it is unfair to others, that might have used that feature, maybe for years, to suddenly deprive them from being able to do that anymore.
License #524 (1994)
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

petermad wrote: 2023-06-17, 17:40 UTC And just because you don't want a certain feature, I think it is unfair to others, that might have used that feature, maybe for years, to suddenly deprive them from being able to do that anymore.
100% agree with that.
Hoecker sie sind raus!
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

history.txt wrote:15.06.23 Fixed: Synchronize dirs, right click context menu: Disable more menu items when they are not applicable, e.g. "Delete left" when no files on the left are selected (32/64)
IMHO confirmed fixed in TC 11.00b8 :-)
License #524 (1994)
AntonyD
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *AntonyD »

Confirmed too.
#146217 personal license