Anyone interested in a Total Commander Wiki?

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Stance
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Stance »

ghisler(Author) wrote: Is there any way to get this on the "Special pages" or somewhere else where I can find it more easily?
Writing a new special page
I detected only by accident when browsing the Wiki that there are delete requests...
Please look at these Categories in both TCWikis:
Löschen
Delete
I'm also looking for a way to remove the links "Current events" and "Community portal", and put some more useful links there like "FAQ".
My thought is: Try to rename "Community portal" into "FAQ", if you want to do so.
Links zur Navigationsleiste hinzufügen for Version 1.4
How do I change the contents of the navigation toolbar?

"Current events" seems to be a wiki core component and should't be deactivated because of conflicts on update.
Once I have suggested to use this page for upcoming versions of TC.
Don't edit core code unless you absolutely have to

Some more usefull links for Wiki-configuration:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Layout_customization
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Configuration_settings

You may add a Total Commander banner to non-editable pages to make them clearly "official"?

Kind regards
Stance
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Thanks for your helpful hints!
Please look at these Categories in both TCWikis:
Löschen
Delete
Now that I know they exist, I know how to access them - but how should I have known that they exist? You cannot find them in the Wiki, except when explicitly searching for them, right? Or is the Categories page linked from the main page somewhere?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ah, thanks - I didn't see it because of all these strange user-x categories. :(

Btw, feel free to split/merge this thread, it has nothing to do with the topic title now...
Stance
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Stance »

Hello!
...all these strange user-x categories have to be shown in the Special: Categories, because they are in fact, categories. :)

As they are subcategories of "Category:User" they will only be shown in the category "User" in the Category-footer.

TCWikiDe: Seinen Sprachlevel in die Benutzerseite aufnehmen

Kind regards
Stance
hoppfrosch

Post by *hoppfrosch »

Any news on subjects in this thread?

I'm motivated to make some contributions to the Wiki (esp. PowerPro & TotalCmd), and I'm a user who works with Wikis very intensivly, but ...

... the TC Wiki does not have any guidelines on "Best Practices on contributing to TC Wiki" ("How to prepare translations - whats to do to support the dual-language wiki", "How to use categories", "How to use templates" ...)

... as the Wiki does not have anybody who is responsible for it (moderator), who makes reviews from time to time, the page design gets more and more heterogenous (just a simple example: should I use the backlink-template to insert the "back to ..." link or should I insert a simple "back to ..." at the end of the page - Is the "back to ..." recommended at all or is it my "free decision" to put it on my page? (For sure its my free decision, but a few guidelines on BestPractices on PageDesign and contents would allow users to create pages with a common design ...))

... this thread starts to get a monster thread like Useful 3rd Party tools , where a lot of things are mixed up in a single thread. Before this happens I would like to see a place where Wiki specific problems could be discussed in a more accesible way (for example in a separate forum or in the Wiki itself ...)

As I'm motivated to contribute to the wiki, I'm also demotivated by the "poor support" (examples described above), when trying to put my contributions into the wiki and getting help on wiki questions... Other less experienced users probably will have the same problems ...
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sheepdog »

hoppfrosch wrote:I'm motivated to make some contributions to the Wiki (esp. PowerPro & TotalCmd), and I'm a user who works with Wikis very intensivly, but ...
That's nice, thanks. We do appreciate that
hoppfrosch wrote:... the TC Wiki does not have any guidelines on "Best Practices on contributing to TC Wiki" ("How to prepare translations - whats to do to support the dual-language wiki", "How to use categories", "How to use templates" ...)
That would require someone to define those guidelines and in addition a discussion about it... And someone who watches the obeying of the rules...
For me it sounds not to a lot of fun
... as the Wiki does not have anybody who is responsible for it (moderator), who makes reviews from time to time,
Thats not true. All of us who participate in developing this Wiki ar feeling responsible for it, I think.
the page design gets more and more heterogenous (just a simple example: should I use the backlink-template to insert the "back to ..." link or should I insert a simple "back to ..." at the end of the page - Is the "back to ..." recommended at all or is it my "free decision" to put it on my page? (For sure its my free decision, but a few guidelines on BestPractices on PageDesign and contents would allow users to create pages with a common design ...))
Oh that's not true. The Wiki had no rules from the very beginning. So everyone made what he thought that was as appropriate.
In the meantime there grew some experience. And thus there build indeed some (unwritten) guidelines or agreements.

Yes you should use the template (if you after all understand how to use ;) ). But there are few people who make reviews. And the the design actually gets more and more homogenius IMHO. (For i.e. I insert the backlink template whereever I find it isn't used).

But te advantage of the missing of rules is that everyone could easily contribute it's own ideas of design in the Wiki. I guess if Clo would contribute sometimes for the Wiki we will see more colors and pictures. :lol:
... this thread starts to get a monster thread like Useful 3rd Party tools , where a lot of things are mixed up in a single thread. Before this happens I would like to see a place where Wiki specific problems could be discussed in a more accesible way (for example in a separate forum or in the Wiki itself ...)
You can already do: for each page is a 'discussion' section where you may put down your thoughts. Be sure it will be read by those who update the Wiki regularly and it will be answered (although mostly not as quick as here in the forum ;) ).
As I'm motivated to contribute to the wiki, I'm also demotivated by the "poor support" (examples described above), when trying to put my contributions into the wiki and getting help on wiki questions... Other less experienced users probably will have the same problems ...
I know what you mean. When I started to work art the Wiki I felt a bit like this. But it is a different concept just like school and university.

Here is noone to teach you, you'll have to learn all by yourself. But you decide what to learn.

Anyway, if there is a technical problem or question you may feel free to email me and I will try to help you if I can.

friendly

sheepdog
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Douglas Adams
SanskritFritz
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *SanskritFritz »

Here is how i do it:
I'm not a very wiki type person, but i also recognised the value of it, so not knowing it doesnt hinder me in contributing :-)
So I insert my scripts and the pros help me format it or they do it themselves ;-)
I switched to Linux, bye and thanks for all the fish!
hoppfrosch

Post by *hoppfrosch »

The wording of what I mean might be a little harsh, but the essence of my "critics" keeps valid.
As I'm not a person, who needs to be attented or needs word by word guidelines what to do, I think a little more guidance should be a available anyway.
In the meantime there grew some experience. And thus there build indeed some (unwritten) guidelines or agreements.
That might be true, but a Newbie has several problems to learn those implicit rules. He might make a few violations on these rules - some of them with giving a new impact on future design-guidelines of the pages, some of them simply "violating" the existing guidelines - but he has "no simple chance" to create a page on its own, which meets the (non-)existing guidelines - enhanced with some new design ideas ...

All I want to say is: if there would be some rudimentary guidelines on page design, it would be much easier for sporadic Wiki-contributors to write minimal standard articles.
This also would allow the "moderators" (better: people who are interested in the quality of the wiki pages) to concentrate on other tasks (for example: providing better templates ...) and not to do such basic formatting inserting the backlink templates - which might be neccessary anyway from time to time ...
But it is a different concept just like school and university.
Here is noone to teach you, you'll have to learn all by yourself. But you decide what to learn.
I don't want to be teached - I want to participate in basic experiences other people made. Based on this basic stuff, it would be much easier to reach a higher level of wisdom (I don't need to invent the wheel, when I try to build a car ... :-) )
I intentionally used the term "guideline" - and nothing more rigorous ...
Anyway, if there is a technical problem or question you may feel free to email me and I will try to help you if I can.
Thanks - be sure you'll get some questions, if there are any ... :-)
But the information on experts on the wiki (or people who feel responsible on the wiki or -in a more official role- the moderators -but since there are no official moderators, I would like to see the the experts as a board on questions on wiki usage), should be available in the Wiki itself ...

All those objections won't keep me from contributing to the Wiki, but I'm just trying to get the entry into the Wiki-World for willing, but unexperienced users easier than it is now - as I consider myself also as a person who is interested in the quality of the wiki pages ...
(And it's much easier to make these objections now from the "willing user"-side as later from the "expert" side ...)

Perhaps I also will be an expert later, and will have a complete different view on this ... :lol:

@Sanskritfritz:
So I insert my scripts and the pros help me format it or they do it themselves
That's the way I'll do it :lol: - but as a pro I would prefer to do higher level things. Those "basic formatting stuff" should be done by the user itself - but he also should have a chance to do this ...
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

2hoppfrosch
I'm sorry but most people here (me included) are absolute newbies for a Wiki. There are no guidelines because I simply didn't know that this is used in other Wikis - I thought that the idea of a Wiki was that everyone could contribute whatever he wanted to a given topic (except, of course, for copyright violations, insults etc.).

I do read the Wiki regularly to check for such things, and also to check what others added (there is a nice last modified section), but I don't want to censor other people's articles except if it is absolutely necessary (in the above listed cases).

So the best guidelines for newbies would be to look at other articles in the Wiki...
hoppfrosch

Post by *hoppfrosch »

Thats fine for me to - but I think its not for everybody.

My cry for someone who reviews the Wiki just points in your direction: learning by examples from others. But if the examples will be varying to much - the replicas will follow to many different ways ... IMHO this will result in a loss of quality of the wiki ...
Stance
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Stance »

hoppfrosch

These links are given in the help pages of both TCWikis:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Editing#The_wiki_markup
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:How_to_edit_a_page
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Seite_bearbeiten

You can add more, if you find it usefull.

These german pages exists for Wiki help:
http://www.ghisler.ch/wikide/index.php/TCWikiDE:Hilfe
http://www.ghisler.ch/wikide/index.php/TCWikiDE:Erste_Schritte

Näheres zum Wiki -Editor: + Wiki Syntax
http://www.ghisler.ch/wikide/index.php/N%C3%A4heres_zum_Wiki_-Editor

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Tabellen german
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Farbtabelle

http://www.ghisler.ch/wikide/index.php/Translation_requests
Please follow the link in the first line to see all german / english transl. req.

All german pages need a translation, if you want to do so...

If you need a blank space to create a link, you could create a help-page "Wanted Pages" and drop your empty links into there.
I have used my userpage for this. In this time we have a lack of substance in the wiki: You won't find suitable text to place a link to other pages.
It is up to you!

If you want to check a new Layout, use the sandbox or "Krumbelbumbel", a page we have created for some Category-experiments, which were not shown as well in the sandbox. If you want to edit a page a time for your own, use the discussion tab or put a note into this page.

The most important thing in the wiki: Have fun! :)

Hoppfrosch seems to be a german nick, you could add your Language level into your user page.

Kind regards
Stance
hoppfrosch

Post by *hoppfrosch »

@Hoppfrosch
Stop the discussion - and start working! :wink:

(... unless I still have some Objections ...)
SanskritFritz
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *SanskritFritz »

2hoppfrosch
Could you please be more kind to the forum members, particulary to hoppfrosch? This way of commanding is surely a violation of the forum rules, and can result in a serious punishment. So get your act together and try to be polite, especially with our valued member hoppfrosch!
:D
I switched to Linux, bye and thanks for all the fish!
hoppfrosch

Post by *hoppfrosch »

I will do my very best ... but such a notorious grumbler like Hoppfrosch has to be put in place :lol: